On the Westboro Baptist Church, Redemption and A Positive Story About Arguing on the Internet

theDoctorisIn

Platinum Member
Senior USMB Moderator
Aug 12, 2009
In the center of it all
I realize that I'm a little late to the party, but I just listened to a number of podcasts and videos featuring Megan Phelps-Roper. She's got quite a fascinating story.

I'll provide as much of a synopsis as I can - but if you've got some time, I highly recommend either her TED talk, which is about 15 minutes long, or her podcast interviews with Kevin Smith (about 2 hours) or Joe Rogan (3 hours).

She's the granddaughter of Fred Phelps, and was an active member of the Westboro Baptist Church for the first 27 years of her life.

From 2009 to 2012, when she left the church, she was the face of the church on social media. She ran the twitter accounts, engaged with people, and pushed the church's message of hatred to the outside world. Most of the responses she got were attacks, scorn and hatred - but her willingness to actually engage ended up spawning conversations with internet critics that lasted for years - which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.

Now she's married to one of her former twitter trolls.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.

If you've got the time, here are the links:

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I realize that I'm a little late to the party, but I just listened to a number of podcasts and videos featuring Megan Phelps-Roper. She's got quite a fascinating story.

I'll provide as much of a synopsis as I can - but if you've got some time, I highly recommend either her TED talk, which is about 15 minutes long, or her podcast interviews with Kevin Smith (about 2 hours) or Joe Rogan (3 hours).

She's the granddaughter of Fred Phelps, and was an active member of the Westboro Baptist Church for the first 27 years of her life.

From 2009 to 2012, when she left the church, she was the face of the church on social media. She ran the twitter accounts, engaged with people, and pushed the church's message of hatred to the outside world. Most of the responses she got were attacks, scorn and hatred - but her willingness to actually engage ended up spawning conversations with internet critics that lasted for years - which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I do not know alot about the Westboro Baptist Church though I do know that they have protested at the funerals of fallen soldiers killed in Iraq, Afghanistan etc and anyone who protests funerals of fallen soldiers IMHO are POS and can rot in Hell.

So anyone involved with the Westboro Baptist Church can rot in Hell.

I will later when I have more time listen to the two podcasts that you link at this moment no time because of the kidlets etc.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I do not know alot about the Westboro Baptist Church though I do know that they have protested at the funerals of fallen soldiers killed in Iraq, Afghanistan etc and anyone who protests funerals of fallen soldiers IMHO are POS and can rot in Hell.

I will later when I have more time listen to the two podcasts that you link at this moment no time because of the kidlets etc.

Well, it's not that simple. It's never that simple. If you have time, you really should listen to one of the podcasts (they're both good, but I think I liked the Kevin Smith one a little more). Her story is a very human story, something that everyone can relate to.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

Well, it's not that simple. It's never that simple. If you have time, you really should listen to one of the podcasts (they're both good, but I think I liked the Kevin Smith one a little more). Her story is a very human story, something that everyone can relate to.

I know things are never that simple, although that is all I know about the Westboro Baptist Church and from that I don't think they are good peoples.

Yes Doc I will listen to both podcasts later tonight.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I'm guessing the bottom line is: She changed her mind after interacting with people online. Amirite? A truly rare phenomenon. Bookmarked.

It's rare that you hear a story like this about arguing on the internet. If you watch her TED talk, she makes a lot of

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I haven't listed to the TED talk so correct me I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this phrase in the key to all of it --

"..which led in time to her exit from the church, and rejection of all of its doctrines.."

And "..arguments about how to interact with people that are particularly relevant to this board, as well as the political climate throughout the internet.."

That indicates to me that the TED talk is probably worth listening to.

Its because of the endlessly circular arguments that I don't post here much anymore. There are other boards that frankly draw a higher class of clientele, as it were. The biggest reason I don't come here as much is that I really don't like what I become.

When the Clean Debate Zone was added, I thought it actually might result in just that - clean debates. Instead, moderators simply move any any threads that included posts that break the rules. So, whats the point in having a CDZ
Are Internet message boards and social media are a microcosm of our divided and angry world? If a woman who was raised amid the filth of Westboro could rise above it to actually do good, then why can't the rest of us? We've seen the same thing with alt right, kkk, nazi, fascism, white supremacy cults. Every so often, we hear of another convert who is now working to spread peace and tolerance.

I had a point when I started writing this but have been interrupted a couple times and, well, there you are.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I know things are never that simple, although that is all I know about the Westboro Baptist Church and from that I don't think they are good peoples.

Yes Doc I will listen to both podcasts later tonight.

The Westboro Baptist Church is a small fundamentalist Christian church in Kansas. They have about 80 or so members, the vast majority of which are children or grandchildren of Fred Phelps, the founder and leader of the church until he died a few years ago.

They are virulently anti-gay, and believe that God has cursed America for embracing homosexuality. That is the basis of their protests at soldier's funerals.

There's no question that I disagree vehemently with nearly every part of their ideology.

But the key point of this is that they're still just people, in the end.

Last edited:

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

I'm guessing the bottom line is: She changed her mind after interacting with people online. Amirite? A truly rare phenomenon. Bookmarked.

Yes, that's the "bottom line". But the specifcs are the interesting part.

TED Talk:

Kevin Smith's podcast:
Smodcast

Joe Rogan's podcast:

Yes, that's the "bottom line". But the specifcs are the interesting part.

I gathered that. My attention span is not that long at this point in time. :rolleyes: :alcoholic:

Again, thank you for posting.

Thx for making the info available. However:

^^^^ :confused-84:

He's using a popular meme to make a joke on Doc's "if you have time" point. Either because it's easier to do that than to actually address the issue, or because he's skeered of it.

Westboro Batshit is universally assessed as anachronistic crackpots in this country, but the story seems to be about one of its inborn members (and I believe she's not the only one who left) who was openminded enough to assess what she was involved in, decide it was in the wrong and go look for an entirely different direction from what she was brought up with. That takes courage, as it means leaving behind everything familiar and starting anew.

You can't hang an association forever on someone after they've turned their back on it and renounced where they were. If that were valid there would be no reason to go on living and she may as well have stayed where she was. But her perspective does afford us a glimpse into what that was, and that in itself is valuable knowledge.

I haven't watched it yet since I don't have the time in the present, but I'm marking it to make time in the near future. I suspect I'll be more enriched by that than by posting a video joke and leaving it unwatched.

He's using a popular meme to make a joke on Doc's "if you have time" point. Either because it's easier to do that than to actually address the issue, or because he's skeered of it.

Westboro Batshit is universally assessed as anachronistic crackpots in this country, but the story seems to be about one of its inborn members (and I believe she's not the only one who left) who was openminded enough to assess what she was involved in, decide it was in the wrong and go look for an entirely different direction from what she was brought up with. That takes courage, as it means leaving behind everything familiar and starting anew.

You can't hang an association forever on someone after they've turned their back on it and renounced where they were. If that were valid there would be no reason to go on living and she may as well have stayed where she was. But her perspective does afford us a glimpse into what that was, and that in itself is valuable knowledge.

I haven't watched it yet since I don't have the time in the present, but I'm marking it to make time in the near future. I suspect I'll be more enriched by that than by posting a video joke and leaving it unwatched.

No Pogtard, because it's easier than dissecting 40 minutes of video.

As for hanging associations, Westboro Baptist church could be hung and I wouldn't shed ary a tear.

As for hanging associations, Westboro Baptist church could be hung and I wouldn't shed ary a tear.

Thanks, you just proved my point.

If your point was that you're a faggot and haven't watched the video yet, yet here you are, pestering me, then I agree.

If your point was that you're a faggot and haven't watched the video yet, yet here you are, pestering me, then I agree.

If it occurs to you that in the time you've been trolling this thread with nothing to contribute, you could have watched ALL the videos, and yet you chose this course, then I agree.

If it occurs to you that in the time you've been trolling this thread with nothing to contribute, you could have watched ALL the videos, and yet you chose this course, then I agree.

Remove the log from your own eye before you start talking about the splinter in mine, boy.

Okay bitch, give us your dissertation on both videos within 5 paragraphs, naow!

No? STFU then. Yes, it's worthy of checking out, I'll be damned if your fucktarded self will dictate when I do, k?

Pogo - By calling you "pogtard" (whatever THAT is) and "faggot", Marion Morrison proves the point of the OP.

I do my share of name calling, mostly to draw attention the difference between Conservatives and RWNJs, Christians and christians. Maybe I shouldn't but since the tee potty (as opposed to the Tea Party), the right has gotten more and more radical. The worst are, IMO, Westboro and the alt right.

There's no place in a civilized society for them, and they are very much the opposite of the principles upon which the US was founded. Now, we have a president who openly threatens our constitution.

How do we fight that? How do mend the enormous rift between the two sides? Its that possible? Or even desirable?

Remove the log from your own eye before you start talking about the splinter in mine, boy.

Okay bitch, give us your dissertation on both videos within 5 paragraphs, naow!

No? STFU then. Yes, it's worthy of checking out, I'll be damned if your fucktarded self will dictate when I do, k?

You watch whatever you want, whenever you want, Bubbles. I'm just noting that you claimed not to have the time to watch videos, yet you spent that same time you don't have trolling this thread. That too was your choice.

Meanwhile I had stuff to do just as Lucy did. Guess which two of the three of us have lives. :itsok:

Forum List

Back