On the trail, few mentions of McCain’s health

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gunny, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The NYTs, ever the casters of doubt no matter how miniscule.:rolleyes:

IMO, McCain's age and health make his choice of VP candidate rather crucial.

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,465
    I think his VP choice is going to be either Rudy or Kemp.

It makes me so fucking sad to see what the GOP in this country has been offering to us for the last 20 years.

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Rudy or Kemp? McCain has no prayer of carrying NY in any event. McCain needs to choose someone who can help win a crucial state, like Charlie Crist, Governor of Florida. Obama needs to choose someone who can win in Ohio. I do not know if anyone qualifies. Perhaps Rendell, Governor of Pennsylvania.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,465
    With Rudy, he has a chance of carrying NY or Florida. But really, he has no chance of winning PERIOD, so why does it even matter?

I know Rendell favored Hillary, but I guess that doesn't mean he couldn't jump on with Obama for party's sake.

I don't see it happening though. Ohio always votes Dem anyway. You'll probably disagree, but Bush won Ohio because Rove worked his magic. The disenfranchisement that went on in that state in '04 was staggering.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Ohio does not always vote Dem. It went Red in both 2000 and 2004. And I have more respect for the voters of Ohio than to think they were deluded by Karl Rove. The Republicans cannot win the Electoral College count without both Ohio and Florida. They are by far the most important swing states. If the Dems win either one of those states, then their candidate will be President.

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,465
    I don't know about that this year, though.

I don't see this election year being the same old guaranteed red and blue state wins that are typical.

McCain may not win all the otherwise guaranteed red states, especially against Obama. Is there any reason you might disagree?

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    There is no reason to think otherwise, especially after Obama is worked over in the campaign. The only states that are likely in play are OH, FL, and NM. You mentioned NY? McCain would have a better chance of carrying Venezuela than New York.

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Yes, most polls are saying that a general election matchup, is within the margin of error?

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You bring up an interesting point. I was referring to "ascendency to the throne" in the event McCain kicks the bucket.

I have to admit, for the time being at least, I've lost interest in this Presidential race. It doesn't really matter which of the three current sad sacks running win.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Ummmmmmm... I'm going to put the idea of NY voting red in the catagory of seriously unlikely (about on par with oh... Texas voting blue). Too many "Don't blame me, I didnt vote for Bush" type bumper stickers. And he may have been "America's mayor", but most of us in NYC think Rudy was a bully who didn't play well with others who stuck it to city workers and was too quick to defend certain police actions even BEFORE full investigation (Amadou Diallo, anyone?).

Wrong about Ohio, it went red in the last election....though I agree about disenfranchisement (thank you Daibold!!)

Whatever happens with the dem nominee, I think Rendell will go wih either one if they offer him the second spot.... I also think with Rendell, either would win, though part of me still sees a Clinton/Obama ticket as the one that's unbeatable.

As for McCain's health... well, it is and it isn't an issue... if he currently has cancer, THAT'S an issue. If he doesn't, he's 7 years clean and that puts him back to the same statistical possibility of getting it again as the general public.