On the list...DIY coffin.

My great granddad made his coffin from hand-hewn chestnut boards.....It's claimed it was hewed of logs from the old spring house they had when they decided to block the walls.

Blight had killed all the chestnut trees by the time of the depression.

Pro tip.....If you are in a area where there are dead chestnut trees still on the forest floor you can use the wood for a smokeless campfire. They used to use it to fire moonshine stills so no smoke could be seen.

My great granddad made his coffin from hand-hewn chestnut boards.....It's claimed it was hewed of logs from the old spring house they had when they decided to block the walls.

Blight had killed all the chestnut trees by the time of the depression.

Pro tip.....If you are in a area where there are dead chestnut trees still on the forest floor you can use the wood for a smokeless campfire. They used to use it to fire moonshine stills so no smoke could be seen.
The Folks have an American Chestnut in their yard.

I thought they were all gone, but Mom swore they had one... And sure enough they do....some are partially blight resistant.

Screenshot_20220718-220645-502.png

I used to tell Mrs Mo to just tip what was left of me into the hog lot ... but I might do this instead ...

go ahead and build it now and stand it in the corner of your dining room and from time to time stand in it to make sure it still fits,,

that should cause the wife to have a few words for you,,

I know you have to have a concrete vault around your casket but I am sure this would do for a casket,, will have to ask the neighbors next time I see them since they are grave diggers,,

go ahead and build it now and stand it in the corner of your dining room and from time to time stand in it to make sure it still fits,,

that should cause the wife to have a few words for you,,

I know you have to have a concrete vault around your casket but I am sure this would do for a casket,, will have to ask the neighbors next time I see them since they are grave diggers,,
I'll check the fit around Halloween... :muahaha:

I used to tell Mrs Mo to just tip what was left of me into the hog lot ... but I might do this instead ...

Do they make kits with stretchable waist bands just in case LOL?

I have let my wishes be known several times to the fam. They are 1) I don't really care and 2) See number 1.

We bought gravesites locally. I have a couple family cemeteries I could be buried in not that I have any particular desire to be put in them. I am fine if they cremate me and bury me ashes in the pet cemetery I have in my back field alongside my dogs, cats, dead feral things happened upon on my property, and occasional road kill. My only druther is that I would rather they have the funeral and dispose of me prior to running any obituary. I just want it to be close family only. No strangers gawking at my corpse. Of course, families tend to do the dog and pony show so I have no realistic expectation that druther will happen.

I have let my wishes be known several times to the fam. They are 1) I don't really care and 2) See number 1.
That my feeling as well. Whatever I leave here after I've gone Home I'm done with... treat it as you would any other empty sack...but, Mrs Mo and the kids haven't been too keen on that idea... So it's plan B.

Make a nice casket and I'll harvest a cedar stump to carve the marker from.

By the time it disintegrates no one should be coming by anyway.

Big Casket and Big Headstone aren't making a thin dime offa me.

Maybe the kids can resell the gravesite. In a few years list it as gently used and pre-fertilized.

The Folks have an American Chestnut in their yard.

I thought they were all gone, but Mom swore they had one... And sure enough they do....some are partially blight resistant.

View attachment 671711
We had some of those trees scattered around when I was a kid.

Used to hate stepping on those burrs. Even if you just barely touch em, they hurt bad. For a long time, too.

Forum List

Back