On Criticizing the President

The “beef” that I, and many I identify with most closely, have with much of the criticism being pitched at Barack Obama is simply that it is not constructive. Each time a decision is made that is not whatever enough for The Best Progressives, the knee-jerking, the hysteria, and the hyperbole is *immediately* turned up to eleven. The past week is a perfect example, with ScheduleGate and OzoneNationalAmbientAirQualityStandardsGate. Or whatever we’re calling it.

The Obama Administration provided explanation on both of these items. ScheduleGate is not a big deal. It’s just not. As for OzoneEtcGate, the letter from Cass Sunstein to the EPA on the air quality standards decision is a particularly important read. I’m not a policy wonk, I don’t claim to understand every detail of this issue, but I understand enough to know my hair shouldn’t be on fire over it. The explanation in the letter makes sense to me. Part of my job has me working within the confines of regulatory cycles and individual rule issuance. I can attest wholeheartedly to the confusion and headaches caused by conflicting regulations and rules that are put in place as a result of poor planning and shitty governance. It makes compliance impossible, it creates unnecessary risk, and more often than not winds up costing a lot of money. Effective planning and governance means making the right decisions at the right times to encourage the right behaviors and appropriate accountability. I repeat: my hair is not on fire over this issue.

So here’s the frustration: stuff happens, and The Best Progressives are immediately thrown into a tizzy. Fueled by a toxic combination of media talking points, visceral outrage, and a deep insecurity that we’ve all been suckered by a Republican plant by the name of Barack Obama, the pitchforks come out.

Obama caved!

Obama is just like Bush!

Obama needs a spine!

Obama needs to act like a real Democrat!

Obama doesn’t deserve to be reelected!

Obama is betraying the base!

Palin was right – Obama doesn’t have any executive experience!

(Oh…sorry about that last one. I don’t know how that made its way in there.)

Those familiar with the IT industry may have heard of the Gartner Hype Cycle. I know, I know – just bear with me on this, I promise I have a point. The Hype Cycle has five phases, and even though it’s supposed to be about new technology, the same shit applies…

Virtual Daze» Blog Archive » On Criticizing the President

Good points.

Not really.

It would be if there was real anger from the left at Obama for his repeated failures, but there isn't.

What we get is rationalization after rationalization as to why this guy hasn't brought home the bacon for you guys. But at the end of the day, there won't be an internal party challenger for the guy like there was for Carter or George H. Bush, guys who really differed with their party base on key issues and failed to bring the wanted results.

On the two questions at issue, ScheduleGate is a big deal in that it shows a white house that doesn't have it's shit together. They pulled a cheap stunt like a community organizer and got slapped down because they failed to realize they are playing the game at a much higher level now.

OzoneGate, meh, that just shows panic. The jobs picture is so bleak now that they don't want to give companies ANY excuses for shutting down plants or moving jobs. Again, it demonstrates weakness...

Within this freest of lands on gods earth, I'll criticize the mother fucking president any time I wish for any reason.

Criticize??? Hate is the word you're looking for. You people don't criticize. At least own it and stop trying to soft soap it. You HATE, you don't criticize.

Wrong, hate was during Bush's term the left. Anti-war protesters, code pinkos invading Congressional hearing holding up signs calling people liars, charging up on Condi Rice with fake blood on their hands, Sheehan camping out in front of Mr.and Mrs. Bush's house, ete etc.

Now that was some HATE. Obama hasn't seen HATE. But he has seen all you people making one excuse after another for his arrogant bullying and walking all over the people HE REPRESENTS.

The “beef” that I, and many I identify with most closely, have with much of the criticism being pitched at Barack Obama is simply that it is not constructive.

And it’s not meant to be constructive, at least from the right – it’s meant to be destructive.

Constructive criticism might be potentially helpful, and the right’s mission – as clearly stated by the Senate Minority Leader, is to ‘get rid’ of Obama.

Criticize??? Hate is the word you're looking for. You people don't criticize. At least own it and stop trying to soft soap it. You HATE, you don't criticize.

True, for many on the right it’s about hate – if not hate for Obama than hate that a democrat holds the WH – perceived by conservatives as a a republican ‘birthright,’ which is perhaps just as idiotic, if not more.

True, for many on the right it’s about hate – if not hate for Obama than hate that a democrat holds the WH

And we all know you all just LOVE it when a Republican holds the WH.

give us all a break, K:lol:

We don't HATE the man Obama, we hate his stupid visions he is trying to heap on us.

REMEMBER he said he WAS GOING to transform America, well with his approval ratings the people are telling him, WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND OF TRANSFORMATIONS.

The “beef” that I, and many I identify with most closely, have with much of the criticism being pitched at Barack Obama is simply that it is not constructive. Each time a decision is made that is not whatever enough for The Best Progressives, the knee-jerking, the hysteria, and the hyperbole is *immediately* turned up to eleven. The past week is a perfect example, with ScheduleGate and OzoneNationalAmbientAirQualityStandardsGate. Or whatever we’re calling it.

The Obama Administration provided explanation on both of these items. ScheduleGate is not a big deal. It’s just not. As for OzoneEtcGate, the letter from Cass Sunstein to the EPA on the air quality standards decision is a particularly important read. I’m not a policy wonk, I don’t claim to understand every detail of this issue, but I understand enough to know my hair shouldn’t be on fire over it. The explanation in the letter makes sense to me. Part of my job has me working within the confines of regulatory cycles and individual rule issuance. I can attest wholeheartedly to the confusion and headaches caused by conflicting regulations and rules that are put in place as a result of poor planning and shitty governance. It makes compliance impossible, it creates unnecessary risk, and more often than not winds up costing a lot of money. Effective planning and governance means making the right decisions at the right times to encourage the right behaviors and appropriate accountability. I repeat: my hair is not on fire over this issue.

So here’s the frustration: stuff happens, and The Best Progressives are immediately thrown into a tizzy. Fueled by a toxic combination of media talking points, visceral outrage, and a deep insecurity that we’ve all been suckered by a Republican plant by the name of Barack Obama, the pitchforks come out.

Obama caved!

Obama is just like Bush!

Obama needs a spine!

Those familiar with the IT industry may have heard of the Gartner Hype Cycle. I know, I know – just bear with me on this, I promise I have a point. The Hype Cycle has five phases, and even though it’s supposed to be about new technology, the same shit applies…

Good points.

:lol::lol:
cry us a fucking river whydonchya?

ya reaps what your dumb asses done sowed sow

The “beef” that I, and many I identify with most closely, have with much of the criticism being pitched at Barack Obama is simply that it is not constructive.

And it’s not meant to be constructive, at least from the right – it’s meant to be destructive.

Constructive criticism might be potentially helpful, and the right’s mission – as clearly stated by the Senate Minority Leader, is to ‘get rid’ of Obama.

True, for many on the right it’s about hate – if not hate for Obama than hate that a democrat holds the WH – perceived by conservatives as a a republican ‘birthright,’ which is perhaps just as idiotic, if not more.

If unemployment were at 5%, if the budget were balanced, people would be singing Obama's praises. Obama's problem is Obama. He has not shown himself to be up to the job.

I especially like this bit;

If you voted Bush / Cheney whose reduced taxes to the wealthy created enormous deficits, a financial bubble of epic portion, and wasted trillions on war, then you cannot criticize Obama as you are part of the current problems. If you voted for Bush / Cheney the second time around you need your head examined as soon as possible.

If you are not without sin concerning the above, feel free to criticize the Obama administration. As the priests would intone after confession, if you did sin, please now shut up, try to practice the golden rule, oh and buy American.

And most of all, if you did not do most of the above then you are simply a hypocrite.

Obama caved!

Obama is just like Bush!

Obama needs a spine!

Good points.

Ya THINK---:lol::lol: Schedulegate is BIG deal. The PURPOSEFUL scheduling of a joint session of congress--at the same time as a scheduled GOP debate--was nothing more than a political ploy--and it actually takes away from his next perfectly pronounced speech on JOBS--by making such a bad decision. Many democrat strategists--stated this was a horrible move--everyone see's through it. It backfired--big time on Obama. The left sees him as weak--because he didn't stand up to Boehner. Boehner-explained the situation perfectly. Congress is just coming back from their break and there wouldn't be enough time to plan for security--to adjourn for a joint session of congress.

As far as the EPA--raising the air quality standards is what the left in this country has been screaming about for DECADES--and Obama promised them that--like many other things he has caved in on.

Within this freest of lands on gods earth, I'll criticize the mother fucking president any time I wish for any reason.

Between extremist lets just say that I hate Marxism and what it has done during the 20th century. I'm not going to say anymore as I don't went to get into the cycle jerk.

Lets just say that you people that think that globalism is the answer and that no one should be better(some how there is no differences within all of humanity) or advance within there lifes are far more off then me. You people are the true evil and believers in evil.

The honest truth is one man that does nothing, but gets drunk and fucks away his life is not going to get to the same point that a man that worked his ass off year after fucking year will get to. Or the man that goes to school learning the tricks of the trade. You people don't live within reallity. You people are a bunch of senseless haters of reality.

Yes I hate you people. :evil:

Hating people is a stupid way to live. It takes a lot of energy and you die young.

Between extremist lets just say that I hate Marxism and what it has done during the 20th century. I'm not going to say anymore as I don't went to get into the cycle jerk.

Lets just say that you people that think that globalism is the answer and that no one should be better(some how there is no differences within all of humanity) or advance within there lifes are far more off then me. You people are the true evil and believers in evil.

The honest truth is one man that does nothing, but gets drunk and fucks away his life is not going to get to the same point that a man that worked his ass off year after fucking year will get to. Or the man that goes to school learning the tricks of the trade. You people don't live within reallity. You people are a bunch of senseless haters of reality.

Hating people is a stupid way to live. It takes a lot of energy and you die young.

Good point, however staying engaged and calling a dumb fuck a dumb fuck keeps your vitality.

So let me be clear the president is an economic dumbfuck.

none here.

Is the response to this always going to be pointing out how the left treated Bush?? Well, there were lots of us that did not condone a lot of things that were said and done at the time.

And if you thought it was so abominable, why do you turn around and do it to Obama?? That does not make sense.

Good point, however staying engaged and calling a dumb fuck a dumb fuck keeps your vitality.

So let me be clear the president is an economic dumbfuck.

I am amazed at the people who do not want us to exercise all of our rights. Now, they will preach to high heaven how we should ALL vote, but after that keep our mouths shut.

I wish I could give you rep for this post, but I have to spread some around.

As he marks his 100th day in office, President Barack Obama has enjoyed substantially more positive media coverage than either Bill Clinton or George Bush during their first months in the White House, according to a new study of press coverage.

Overall, roughly four out of ten stories, editorials and op ed columns about Obama have been clearly positive in tone, compared with 22% for Bush and 27% for Clinton in the same mix of seven national media outlets during the same first two months in office, according to a study by the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism.

1_lead_positive_coverage.png

Obama's First 100 Days | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)
Media Metric: Obama's 100 Days of Press - Pew Research Center

And since the first 100 days, in both domestic and foreign mainstream media, the media coverage overall for Obama has been more positive than negative which almost certainly accounts for his personal approval ratings being much better than his job approval ratings.
http://www.emandp.com/site_content_uploads/main_content/INTERNATIONAL NEWS COVER-AGE.pdf

I didn't go back to find a source, but I recall that media coverage in both of President Bush's terms more more negative than positive by something like 3 to 1.

But as far as criticizing the president goes, can we take our cue from Hillary Clinton?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CzteDucRHo]Hillary Clinton - I am Sick & Tired (Right to Protest) - YouTube[/ame]

Why would you do that??? Since when did the right wing nuts give any credence to ANYTHING Hillary had to say. What a hypocrite you are.

Forum List

Back