On 9/11, a Telling Seven-Minute Silence

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
I know you all think I just troll the internet looking for negative Bush stories, and well, you're partially right. But that's my job. Anyways, I don't know if one can make too much of this but it is worth discussion, just for the simple fact that I would have been up out of my seat faster than you can say bin Laden...
This will be made even more painfully clear as I sit in a theater looking at Dubya's mug for 7 minutes, recalling the horror occuring in my city as I watch him frozen like a deer in the headlights.

Fire away!

------------------------------------------------------

On 9/11, a Telling Seven-Minute Silence
Interpreting the President's Image in Crisis
By Joel Achenbach
Saturday, June 19, 2004; Page C01

You're at a photo op, reading a book with schoolchildren and an aide suddenly whispers that a second plane has hit the World Trade Center. "America is under attack." You're the president of the United States. What do you do? ...

From two different angles, Americans have new glimpses of that historic moment. One comes from rabble-rousing Michael Moore, whose Bush-eviscerating film "Fahrenheit 9/11" premieres next week, and includes an uninterrupted seven-minute segment showing Bush's reaction after hearing the news of the attack. He doesn't move.

Instead he continues to sit in the classroom, listening to children read aloud. Moore lets the tape roll as the minutes pass painfully by.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A53548-2004Jun18?language=pri...

Originally posted by nycflasher
I know you all think I just troll the internet looking for negative Bush stories, and well, you're partially right. But that's my job. Anyways, I don't know if one can make too much of this but it is worth discussion, just for the simple fact that I would have been up out of my seat faster than you can say bin Laden...
This will be made even more painfully clear as I sit in a theater looking at Dubya's mug for 7 minutes, recalling the horror occuring in my city as I watch him frozen like a deer in the headlights.

Fire away!

And what would you and Michael Moore have had him do? Stand up with small children around him and say, "America has been attacked in NYC by jets. We don't know more than that, though there are many unconfirmed reports of more jets. I gotta go and get some real information."

That would have been just swell.

I would have got up and walked out of the room.
I would not have sat there for 7 minutes. Hell, if air traffic control had notified the military 7 minutes earlier they may have been able to intercept one of the planes.

But that's a moot point. I understand all the confusion that morning as NO ONE was prepared for this. But how does the President just sit there for 7 minutes?

Shouldn't he have been doing something?

If you were in the middle of an important business meeting and got a call that your sister had been kidnapped... wouldn't you get the heck out of Dodge, eben if it was just to make a phone call and show support or see what you could do?

I mean, ultimately he is the one who gives the shoot-down command. Oh wait, no, that was Cheney!!!

Actually Flasher, that's why he's called the 'executive'. Those that needed to get the info, analyze, and offer alternatives were already on it-it would take more than 7 minutes, duh.

In the meantime, while the kids and adults standing around didn't know what was going on, he knew that many did and millions were finding out by the minute. He had to be able to figure how to reassure, to the best of his ability, with no real info at that time.

Which is why the first 'message' really wasn't all that reassuring. I think he did a great job that day and for the months following.

If he ran out of the room, people would say that he panicked. I really don't know what he could have done. There was no way to prevent it at that point. It's just another example of "damned if you do and damned if you don't" by liberals.

Originally posted by Kathianne
Actually Flasher, that's why he's called the 'executive'. Those that needed to get the info, analyze, and offer alternatives were already on it-it would take more than 7 minutes, duh.

In the meantime, while the kids and adults standing around didn't know what was going on, he knew that many did and millions were finding out by the minute. He had to be able to figure how to reassure, to the best of his ability, with no real info at that time.

Which is why the first 'message' really wasn't all that reassuring. I think he did a great job that day and for the months following.

Good point.
I still think that every part of me would not be able to just sit there knowing that "America is under attack."

I mean, he could have been consulting Dick or something.
I find is strange that Dick gave the shoot down order without Bush's knowledge. Actually, I think they say that Bush gave authorization but there is absolutely no evidence of this according to the congressional report.

Anyway, I guess he had two options--stay or leave-- and he thought the people were best served by him just sitting there.

I would have got up and walked out of the room.
I would not have sat there for 7 minutes. Hell, if air traffic control had notified the military 7 minutes earlier they may have been able to intercept one of the planes.

But that's a moot point. I understand all the confusion that morning as NO ONE was prepared for this. But how does the President just sit there for 7 minutes?

Shouldn't he have been doing something?

If you were in the middle of an important business meeting and got a call that your sister had been kidnapped... wouldn't you get the heck out of Dodge, even if it was just to make a phone call and show support or see what you could do?

I mean, ultimately he is the one who gives the shoot-down command. Oh wait, no, that was Cheney!!!
You're right. Bush shoulda hopped in a jet and flew to the rescue!

I mean, I know you libs hate the fact that the man is a hero to many, but he is not Superman. By staying calm and presenting an unworried appearance, he was doing what he is supposed to do. Lead by example. Getting all worked up, screaming and yelling and running out of the room would have done nothing but give you Bush haters a different excuse to lambaste him about. Then you would say, "the man was not stoic enough.... he presented an air of confusion, worry and panic" admit it. He can't win with people like you. You are not sincere in your thoughts. You only think of ways to criticize.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
By staying calm and presenting an unworried appearance, he was doing what he is supposed to do.

unworried or confused? :p:
well, I'l see it myself soon

Getting all worked up, screaming and yelling and running out of the room would have done nothing but give you Bush haters a different excuse to lambaste him about.

Yeah, that was what I was suggesting he do. :rolleyes:
Why don't you stick to what I say instead of putting words in my mouth.
Harder to spin?

You are not sincere in your thoughts. You only think of ways to criticize.

Yeah, attack me.
If you scroll up you'll see that I simply asked a question to which I though Kathianne gave a good response.

Others, on the otherhand, favor rhetoric and attacks over sensible thought...

Yeah, attack me.
If you scroll up you'll see that I simply asked a question to which I though Kathianne gave a good response.

Others, on the otherhand, favor rhetoric and attacks over sensible thought...

I am always non-rhetorical and logical. I've been telling you this for months Flasher!:hail: :bow3: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by Kathianne
I am always non-rhetorical and logical. I've been telling you this for months Flasher!:hail: :bow3: :rotflmao:

I think we've oft disagreed, but I've never doubted your level-headedness. Some are hellbent on mindless attacks, others are interested in learning and presenting their opinions.

Congrats for staying above the fray, I suppose that's why you were made a MOD. Unless it's your good looks or personal favors to the owner. Maybe all three:D

I think we've oft disagreed, but I've never doubted your level-headedness. Some are hellbent on mindless attacks, others are interested in learning and presenting their opinions.

Congrats for staying above the fray, I suppose that's why you were made a MOD. Unless it's your good looks or personal favors to the owner. Maybe all three:D

You'll never know! :p:

Forum List

Back