OMG! Two Salvadoran immigrants take formal possession of seized ranch

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Of course what the title leaves out of it is, Two illegal immigrants.

(AP) - BISBEE, Arizona-Two Salvadoran immigrants are now the legal owners of an Arizona ranch near the Mexican border that was seized from an anti-immigrant activist accused of pistol-whipping them.

Documents granting the 70-acre ( 28-hectare) ranch once owned by Casey Nethercott to Fatima del Socorro Leiva Medina and Edwin Alfredo Mancia Gonzales were signed by a Cochise County judge on Monday.

Nethercott is serving a five-year prison term in Texas stemming from a 2003 incident on a Texas ranch where he confronted Leiva and Mancia and was accused of pistol-whipping them. He was acquitted of assault but convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Nethercott was a member of the group Ranch Rescue, which works to protect private property along the southern U.S. border from incursions by illegal immigrants.

The Southern Poverty Law Center brought suit against Nethercott on behalf of the two immigrants. Nethercott did not respond and a Texas judge ordered him to pay $500,000. Also named in the suit was Jack Foote, the founder of Ranch Rescue, and the owners of the Texas ranch, Joe and Betty Sutton. The Suttons settled for $100,000. Foote also didn't offer a defense and was ordered to pay $500,000.

Leiva and Mancia were illegal immigrants from El Salvador. They received temporary legal status in the United States as crime victims and are seeking visas to stay longer.

They don't plan to hold on to the ranch, said Kelley Bruner, an attorney for the Southern Poverty Law Center. Instead the property near Douglas, Arizona, will be sold, with the proceeds going to the immigrants.

http://news.findlaw.com/ap/o/51/01-25-2006/2249000886f24712.html

and so it begins. Whatever happened to "trespassers will be shot on sight?" ITs his property. Don't go on it. Now not only does a judge take his land away but they give it to the criminals that entered it? This has got to get overturned. This is just ri-goddamn-diculous.

It's big government, liberal politics. The founding fathers believed that every man had an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that it was the job of the government to help every man protect those rights and to punish those who would infringe on them. These men broke the laws of this country, denied this man his basic property right to exclude others, and then cried a lot when they got caught. The government then told this man that he didn't have the right to protect his property, since that's solely the government's job. Now, for being a felon possessing a firearm, yeah, he should be in jail, but those two illegals should be charged with tresspassing and then sent back to Mexico with nothing more than the clothes they were wearing, if that.

Stephanie said:
(AP) - BISBEE, Arizona-Two Salvadoran immigrants are now the legal owners of an Arizona ranch near the Mexican border that was seized from an anti-immigrant activist accused of pistol-whipping them.

http://news.findlaw.com/ap/o/51/01-25-2006/2249000886f24712.html

The bolded part no doubt explains why the "Southern Poverty Law Center" went after him. These low-cost or free law centers are as liberal as it gets, and they probably knew of Nethercott's beliefs and wanted to stick it to him.

And while this outcome stinks to high heaven, even though he was in jail, Nethercott should have hired a lawyer and responded to the Complaint. Why let it go as a result of what looks like a default judgment?

What is not clear to me from the article is why the Suttons had to settle for $100,000? What did they do wrong?

that is why you shoot them dead......drag them inside.....clean up.....then call the cops.....then call your attorney.....remain silent

Leiva and Mancia were illegal immigrants from El Salvador. They received temporary legal status in the United States as crime victims and are seeking visas to stay longer.

So if an illegal person is a "crime victim" he gains legal status to sue within our court system? This surely is the height of liberal "victimhood".

Abbey Normal said:
The bolded part no doubt explains why the "Southern Poverty Law Center" went after him.

You got it. "Sleaze Dees" and his crooked outfit make the ACLU look like patriots. No Southern, no poverty, no law: pretty much all they are is a "center."

What i dont get is that these people are defedning their property from foreign invaders that the Government won't do anything about and they are penalized for not killing them. Had they just shot them dead, buried them in the desert and went about their lives, NO ONE would have been the wiser.

The more i think about this story the more it sickens me.

insein said:
What i dont get is that these people are defedning their property from foreign invaders that the Government won't do anything about and they are penalized for not killing them. Had they just shot them dead, buried them in the desert and went about their lives, NO ONE would have been the wiser.

The more i think about this story the more it sickens me.

It is definitely barf-inducing.

I bet that Rancher feels pretty stupid for committing the crime that gave the two illegal immigrants the legal status that they now hold.

I'd say this is pretty f'in funny if nothing else.

Guess it might seem funny as long as illegal immigrants aren't taking your land.

Apparently, it wasn't legal for the guy to have a gun, so he shouldn't have had one. I don't care what crime he committed, there is no way in hell the land should have been handed to those two.

jAZ said:
I bet that Rancher feels pretty stupid for committing the crime that gave the two illegal immigrants the legal status that they now hold.

Typical. Useful idiots on either side of the aisle but it seems more on the liberal side do you get the real fucking morons. You are the type that runs with the mindset as long as it supports my agenda and doesnt personally affect me, then im all for it. The moment they take away your land and give it to 2 criminals as restitution for you defending your land against them, dont come crying to me.

insein said:
Typical. Useful idiots on either side of the aisle but it seems more on the liberal side do you get the real fucking morons. You are the type that runs with the mindset as long as it supports my agenda and doesnt personally affect me, then im all for it. The moment they take away your land and give it to 2 criminals as restitution for you defending your land against them, dont come crying to me.

Your point is perfectly supported by the uproar on the Dem side when the Supreme Court made it's recent eminent domain ruling.

jAZ said:

PATHETIC! :scratch:

jAZ said:

You're going to feel pretty stupid when illegals rape your wife and you have to hand over your house for failing to provide them with post-coital bean burritos per Third World Order dictates. Or maybe you'll enjoy that, I don't know.

What happened to the "personal responsibility" mantra of the right? Does that only apply when you are criticizing those on the left?

This Rancher committed a crime. Now, he got off in criminal court just like OJ Simpson did. But he was "convicted" of the same crime in civil court (again, just like OJ).

He's out there breaking laws in such a way that he triggered a law giving the illegal immigrant "legal" status.

That's just stupid on his part. If you are going to go out there as a vigilante and pretend it's the Old West, then you are gonna have to live with the consquences that the modern world imposes upon that kind of action.

Now if you want to argue that the law that permitted the imigrant to become legal long enough to get into the court system and kick this guys ass in civil court... well... that's your choice. I am not going to dispute that assertion here.

However, rather than piss and moan about how I suck for being a liberal, why don't you get out there and do something about the law that you hate.

As it stands, this imigrant followed our laws (after getting pistol whipped for walking on land that he shouldn't have been on). And the appropriate outcome of that process is this rancher going to jail and these imigrants owning his land in the process.

If you can't see the humor in some guy going nutzo and beating the crap out of someone for "tresspassing" and getting his ass handed to him in court... well I can't help you.

But it's pretty funny.

jAZ said:
What happened to the "personal responsibility" mantra of the right? Does that only apply when you are criticizing those on the left?

This Rancher committed a crime. Now, he got off in criminal court just like OJ Simpson did. But he was "convicted" of the same crime in civil court (again, just like OJ).

He's out there breaking laws in such a way that he triggered a law giving the illegal immigrant "legal" status.

That's just stupid on his part. If you are going to go out there as a vigilante and pretend it's the Old West, then you are gonna have to live with the consquences that the modern world imposes upon that kind of action.

Now if you want to argue that the law that permitted the imigrant to become legal long enough to get into the court system and kick this guys ass in civil court... well... that's your choice. I am not going to dispute that assertion here.

However, rather than piss and moan about how I suck for being a liberal, why don't you get out there and do something about the law that you hate.

As it stands, this imigrant followed our laws (after getting pistol whipped for walking on land that he shouldn't have been on). And the appropriate outcome of that process is this rancher going to jail and these imigrants owning his land in the process.

If you can't see the humor in some guy going nutzo and beating the crap out of someone for "tresspassing" and getting his ass handed to him in court... well I can't help you.

But it's pretty funny.

that is why you shoot them dead drag them inside clean up call the police call your attorney then don't say a word

manu1959 said:
that is why you shoot them dead drag them inside clean up call the police call your attorney then don't say a word
You get mucho credit for consistency, understanding the point, not being a total partisan shill in the process.

Rep to you even if I am scared to have you as a neighbor. :D

jAZ said:

But it's pretty funny.

If you noticed, that is what we are complaining about. Being as i live in PA i cant very well change a state law from one of the southern states unless i move there. My gripe is having a law that grants illegals access to our court system AT ALL!!! Most illegals get better treatment under our laws then citizens do.

Go back and reread the posts. Everyone of the posters said that he should have been punished for any crime he committed but at the SAME time, the 2 illegals should hve been deported and nothing been rewarded for their CRIMES. When someone can lose their property to another person when a person committed a crime is bad enough. When someone can lose their property to people that arent even citizens of this country who were trespassing on said property is a recipe for disaster.

Forum List

Back