Olympic 2016 : News & Discussion

Judge the excellence of any country at the Olympic Games by number of medals won per population of that country.

Or by number of medals won per athletes participating in the Game.

You will be surprised. Some of the countries you could not even find on the map.

The countries at the top of the medals tables are the countries that throw the most money at it.

The best cyclist/rower/yachtsman in the world lives in Chad but he, or she, has never been able to try those sports.

The Olympics reflects the inequality in the world.

Having said that Wales are having the best Olympics ever, ensuring renewed calls for Team Cymru at the next Olympics.

In your dreams.

The countries at the top of the medals tables are the countries that throw the most money at it.

The best cyclist/rower/yachtsman in the world lives in Chad but he, or she, has never been able to try those sports.

Having said that Wales are having the best Olympics ever, ensuring renewed calls for Team Cymru at the next Olympics.

Shut the heck up with this nonsense. Just because individual achievement is welcomed by some nations over others isn't holding anyone back in Chad. Plenty of these athletes from these deadbeat 3rd world countries go to 1st world countries to train and live.

Nobody gives a damn how Chad does in the olympics. Really nobody cares how chad the nation does as a country either.
If you can buy a medal it is devalued.

No it's not. just like anything else it's not about how much money you throw at the issue its how the individual handles the issue. The athletes won their medals because of the hard work they put into their events. By claiming it's a bought and paid for scam you are taking away from the athletes and devaluing their efforts.

It's not about how much money is spent it's what you do with the opportunity once given. It has always been about the individual which is why the USA has always successful in the Olympics. Our nation was built on the individual and their efforts not the collective. The Olympics allow us to celebrate the individuals who put in the work.

The Deadshot

There should be a competition between rickshaw drivers in the Summer Olympics, so there's more attention to the 'economics' of the poor countries participating in this big showcase of international 'etiquette.'

Terrorism has made human activity feel like political tedium...

rs.jpg

I don't watch the olympics as much as I used to but still catch a little volleyball and I'm totally hooked on swimming. Probably stems from watching an older brother compete through high school. Our school had this tiny 25yd pool and it was the loudest most raucous sporting venue I've ever been to. If you couldn't get pumped there you needed to have your pulse checked. I also learned some serious respect for them as athletes, absolutely incredible stamina.

One other sport he taught me to respect was water polo. I was a wrestler and would tease him about being a "wimpy" swimmer. I then watched a couple of water polo matches and took it all back. Tough, tough sport.

I love watching the Olympics.

The upcoming villains will be the Brits. Because they are doing so well, the sour grapes Euros will conjure up nefarious reasons to demonise them.

Shut the heck up with this nonsense. Just because individual achievement is welcomed by some nations over others isn't holding anyone back in Chad. Plenty of these athletes from these deadbeat 3rd world countries go to 1st world countries to train and live.

Nobody gives a damn how Chad does in the olympics. Really nobody cares how chad the nation does as a country either.
If you can buy a medal it is devalued.

As I said, it is an ego trip for some countries. I hope, may be in future, we will restore Olympic to be about triumph of human spirit. Some of the athletes that have impressed me the most are not necessarily medal winners. They impressed me because they came from countries that had no infrastructure for sports like gymnastic and yet they came very close to winning medals. It is remarkable. This is what human spirit is all about. It is not about winning at any cost to assuage your ego.

I did not know golf was an Olympic sport.

---

RIO DE JANEIRO — An estimated 1 in 10,000 people in India play golf.

One of them is teenager Aditi Ashok, who made history earlier this year when she became the first Indian and the youngest player ever to win Q School for the Ladies European Tour.

Now she is in position to win a gold medal.

At 18, Ashok is the youngest player in the field of the women’s golf tournament at the Olympic Golf Course and for the second consecutive round she took on the look of a veteran. With her father, Ashok Gudlamani, on the bag and with a second 3-under-par 68, Ashok, who still had to take her final exams in high school after she turned pro, is on the first page of the leaderboard.

At 6 under, she’s four shots out of the lead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/08/18/aditi-ashok-india-olympic-golf/88956366/

Debut Depth

Here's a nice Zambia (orange-n-green) soccer photo --- it's nice when poorer nations get media attention on the international spotlight of competitive sports.

This guy's an 'alternative superhero!'

zmbia.jpg

Argentina Shines

Well, anyway, my favorite Rio team, the women's field hockey team from Argentina, lost to the Netherlands (who in turn lost to upstart Great Britain in an upset in the final), so my team was out, but the men's field hockey team from Argentina has surprised some folks by defeating Spain and Germany on their way to the Finals and then defeated Belgium 4-2 to win the first gold for the Argentine men in field hockey.

Belgium defeated India (who won the most golds in men's field hockey - 8) in the QFs and then top-contender Netherlands in the SFs before losing to Argentina in the Finals.

Strange (I'm still pitying myself for the women's loss)...

FIH - Rio Men's (Wiki)

argentina.jpg

Forum List

Back