Olympians: You didn't make it. Somebody else made that happen.

Great coaches, supportive parents, understanding friends - no question.

But at the end of the day it is still the ahtlete who has to get up at 5. a.m. every morning and hit the track, the ahtlete who has to psyche himself up, and the athlete who has to run the race.

Most deserve all the praise and applause they get.

Its actually true, though. None of those athletes would be there if they didn't have a coach to help them train. Therefore, they really didn't 'get there' on their own.

Actually, the Ugandan marathon runner that won the gold had no coach and he did make it happen. Nobody gave him anything. The rebels killed 8 of his 10 brothers and sisters and they enslaved him for a period.

It is true that there's an existential argument that nobody does anything without help somewhere__ but I think it's a slap in the face to downgrade individual accomplishment in the name of some utopian nonsense.

Actually they did, he was assisted by A Running Start.
Yes, his accomplishment is amazing and mostly due to what he did, but he did receive help along the way.
Read what Obama said, it isnt some utopian non sense, it is the truth.

What about the PG commercial? Where they claimed athletes got there with the help of their mom's. Where is the outrage on that one?

If you're selling a product to moms then of course you want to kiss their asses. That's just feel good marketing.

I refer you Saigon's post after your post. It's the athletes who endure the pain and abstain from hamburger stand culture and who often put it all on the line just for a shot at the big time. Because they have to beat thousands along the way who are just as good as them ore almost as good as them. Mommy and daddy don't do that for them.

If you're an Olympian that has made it to London, you didn't get there on your own__ You didn't get there on your own! I'm always struck by Olympians that think well it must be because I was so great. There are a lot of great people out there! It must be because I worked harder than everybody else__ Let me tell you something; there are a whole bunch of hard working athletes out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great coach somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable Olympic system that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in sports arenas, equipment and nutritional supplements. So if you're an Olympian, you didn't make it. Somebody else made that happen. London didn't get invented on its own.

You're a moron

If you're an Olympian that has made it to London, you didn't get there on your own__ You didn't get there on your own! I'm always struck by Olympians that think well it must be because I was so great. There are a lot of great people out there! It must be because I worked harder than everybody else__ Let me tell you something; there are a whole bunch of hard working athletes out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great coach somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable Olympic system that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in sports arenas, equipment and nutritional supplements. So if you're an Olympian, you didn't make it. Somebody else made that happen. London didn't get invented on its own.

?? Actually what Romney said was;

"You Olympians, however, know you didn’t get here solely on your own power."

This is why tone means a lot in the English language. Romney was simply stating that families do help the Olympians. Obama's tone was spiteful and his attitude was condescending and arrogant.

This is why tone means a lot in the English language. Romney was simply stating that families do help the Olympians. Obama's tone was spiteful and his attitude was condescending and arrogant.

Or you like Romney and dislike Obama.

Compared to Obama, I like Romney (otherwise I'm a Paulian). Nonetheless, there were great differences in their tones and I don't think either persons sentiments were not spot on with their actions. Romney is a big family values guy and his speech reflected it. Obama is a big government guy that is hostile to small business and his speech reflected it.

I agree. Content is entirely irrelevant. All that matter his how his voice sounds and how it makes us feel. Really we don't even need words.

I agree. Content is entirely irrelevant. All that matter his how his voice sounds and how it makes us feel. Really we don't even need words.

I didn't say that words (content) doesn't matter. Are you somehow saying that tone and underlying meaning are not important (real) variables?

Last edited:

Stop being a hack. I didn't say that content doesn't matter. Content includes tone and underlying meaning and surrounding actions.

Its mostly feeling based. If I feel like Obama is a commie, it doesn't matter what he says.

Stop being a hack. I didn't say that content doesn't matter. Content includes tone and underlying meaning and surrounding actions.

Its mostly feeling based. If I feel like Obama is a commie, it doesn't matter what he says.

You're subscribing unfair motives to a person(s) based on their outlook(s). Your logic would dictate that if I'm an Obama supporter then I have to love what he says and if I'm an Obama opponent then I have to hate what he says. That's ridiculous and as a reasonably intelligent person, you know that.

For myself, his comments validated my feelings of him; but that does not mean that he could not have stated discourse that I would have favored.

You're subscribing unfair motives to a person(s) based on their outlook(s). Your logic would dictate that if I'm an Obama supporter then I have to love what he says and if I'm an Obama opponent then I have to hate what he says. That's ridiculous and as a reasonably intelligent person, you know that.

For myself, his comments validated my feelings of him; but that does not mean that he could not have stated discourse that I would have favored.

I don't care what Obama says, he's a communist.

Alright. If you're going to troll then I don't care. IGNORED. I come on here for people that want real dialogue. Don't worry, you'll find more than enough people that'll feed you your troll crumbs though.

Right.

Because the US is basically the same is North Korea, right?

Good debate requires a minimum level of intelligence. At the moment this may be beyond you.

Even if I did think he was communist; I was never at any point making that argument or even thinking it. He was just trolling (and he had been) and that's why I put him on my ignore list. I'm not going to use my time and energy and then be trolled so vigorously. I'm just not going to deal with time wasters. I don't come on here to get in childish spats.

Compared to Obama, I like Romney (otherwise I'm a Paulian). Nonetheless, there were great differences in their tones and I don't think either persons sentiments were not spot on with their actions. Romney is a big family values guy and his speech reflected it. Obama is a big government guy that is hostile to small business and his speech reflected it.

Not that I went far but when I played basketball my parents spent a lot of money and time taking me to camps and practice. That is the sort of thing Romney was referring to.
My brother owns a very successful construction company but he didn't get there without help. He had children early so him and his wife both received money for school and day care. My brother also for lucky and had uncles in the business who trained him, then he got a job for a guy who was nice enough to help him build his first house on his own. Plus he started his construction company during the Clinton years. That is what Obama was referring to.
Everyone needs help along the way. In my mother's case it was an Art teacher. My mother also helped a few people along the way by teaching them how to paint.

People are hearing what they want to in each case.

I'm surprised no one has menioned on this thread Romney's gaffe in England about whether or not British people would get behind the games.

That got saturation coverage in British media, and really upset people.

Not that I went far but when I played basketball my parents spent a lot of money and time taking me to camps and practice. That is the sort of thing Romney was referring to.
My brother owns a very successful construction company but he didn't get there without help. He had children early so him and his wife both received money for school and day care. My brother also for lucky and had uncles in the business who trained him, then he got a job for a guy who was nice enough to help him build his first house on his own. Plus he started his construction company during the Clinton years. That is what Obama was referring to.
Everyone needs help along the way. In my mother's case it was an Art teacher. My mother also helped a few people along the way by teaching them how to paint.

People are hearing what they want to in each case.

Actually, Obama refers to help in the form of government and not family with regularity.

Anyways, I think when Obama emphatically screams, "you didn't build that," he is clearly coming off as insulting. I'm writing a book. And by the time I'm finished I will have spent north of 2000 hours on it. I'd be insulted if he said, "you didn't write that." Hey, I understand where the guys coming from though. Everything he's ever gotten has been given to him. Some of us actually work for our keep though.

Everything he's ever gotten has been given to him. Some of us actually work for our keep though.

Um...what?

So he didn't work hard to qualify as a lawyer?

He was "given" the presidency? Really?

Come on man - like the guy or not, that was a staggeringly stupid thing to say.

He was admitted into law school on a racial quota; so yes, he didn't "work hard" for it. He may have put some effort, but whatever.

And he was given the presidency. People did vote for him because he was black. What the hell do you think he ever did that was so special before his presidency? Name one f'ing thing.

Staggeringly stupid? Obama has never had a real job dude. He was a pothead in high school. And he happened upon William Ayers who had his parents pay for his college.

Forum List

Back