Old War Horse.....S&W M1917 Army Revolver.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this well used S&W M1917 today. for $250.00.

17 001 (2).JPG

It's almost devoid of finish but has a great bore and it's tight and times properly. It was in a old HH Heiser holster.

I replaced the cracked-up Franzite grips that were on it with a set of M1917 wood stocks I had squirreled away.

After WW-1 the S&W and Colt M1917s were surplused-off rather quickly and made their way into civilian hands. This one ended-up on a farm in WV.

They used the .45acp cartridge by means of inserting the rimless cartridge into a spring steel full, half, or quarter moon clip. The half moon clip was .mil issue.

17 003 (2).JPG

Lovely. Hopefully it cleans up as nicely as it looks like it should. The stories I’m sure she could tell.
I'll leave the patina as is. There really was not any rust on it to speak of and I cleaned that up, mostly under the grips.....I have "collector" examples anyway.....It will just be a shooter.

This one was made sometime between the start of production in 1917 and April 1918. They were produced till 1919.

The War Office was not too pleased with S&W's production numbers so they made them take some shortcuts like not using the S&W logo on the frame. In fact the S&W logo did not reappear on S&W revolvers till 1921 into 1922.....They are called "no-logo" revolvers.

I picked-up this well used S&W M1917 today. for $250.00.

View attachment 773170

It's almost devoid of finish but has a great bore and it's tight and times properly. It was in a old HH Heiser holster.

I replaced the cracked-up Franzite grips that were on it with a set of M1917 wood stocks I had squirreled away.

After WW-1 the S&W and Colt M1917s were surplused-off rather quickly and made their way into civilian hands. This one ended-up on a farm in WV.

They used the .45acp cartridge by means of inserting the rimless cartridge into a spring steel full, half, or quarter moon clip. The half moon clip was .mil issue.

View attachment 773172

I picked up one with about 98% finish from a pawn shop about 8 months ago for 450. They thought it hand been refinished.

I picked up one with about 98% finish from a pawn shop about 8 months ago for 450. They thought it hand been refinished.
I got my first Colt M1917 at the flea market back in the day, still in the craft box......I bought a P1858 Enfield from the guy at the same time. LOL....Thinking back I was more excited over the P1858.

I much prefer the S&W M1917 over the Colt M1917. Of course both are must haves.

Last edited:
The War Office was not too pleased with S&W's production numbers so they made them take some shortcuts like not using the S&W logo on the frame. In fact the S&W logo did not reappear on S&W revolvers till 1921 into 1922.....They are called "no-logo" revolvers
I have had the pleasure of touring both the S&W Museum. And the factory here in Springfield, MA over the years. To see some of the prototypes that never made the assembly line, along with the classic and older models is a real treat.

Forum List

Back