Oklahoma bans the 10 commandments

Joseph Thai, a professor at the University of Oklahoma's College of Law, said the ballot measure is "an answer in search of a problem." He said he knows of no other state that has approved similar measures.

"There is no plausible danger of international law or Sharia law overtaking the legal system," Thai said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He said courts only consider international law when deciding issues involving a federal treaty, a business contract or a will that incorporates international law.

Thai said the ballot measure "raises thorny church-state problems as well" and could even affect a state judge's ability to consider the Ten Commandments.

"The Ten Commandments, of course, is international law. It did not originate in Oklahoma or the United States," Thai said.

Rick Tepker, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Law believes the "Save Our State" constitutional amendment may have the unwanted side effect of preventing judges from referencing the Ten Commandments. Tepker called the measure "a mess."

and this is a state that wants the 10 commandments on the state capitol grounds...
maybe they should put a sign next to them saying "invalid due to Oklahoma voters stupidity"

You have to understand that with all the Muslims running around Oklahoma (I think there were four at the last count) people have a reason to be afraid

NO WAY!!

There's like 50 million of them!! They all claim to be "Mexicans", but we are on to them now!!

It seems rather unconstitutional to ban the laws of one select religion. I would think they would have to ban the laws of all religions in order to make this stick.

Tell me, how many Christian courts have you heard of where Christians go to get judgements instead of thru the government courts? Go ahead, we'll wait. The difference is that other religions have beliefs, Islam has courts who render verdicts. In a nation governed by law, other court systems are not acceptable.

Criminal issues must be governed by US criminal courts. Civil issues can still be handled in Muslim courts if both litigants agree.

But my response was to the comment, "It seems rather unconstitutional to ban the laws of one select religion. I would think they would have to ban the laws of all religions in order to make this stick." My point being that I am unaware of other religions in the US who have their own "laws" and courts. Perhaps Sharia Law was targeted individually because it is indeed unique. That and the fact that England now has Sharia courts. The intent is to keep that from happening here. We are a nation of laws, goverened by a constitution......not a religion. Thank God!!!

Joseph Thai, a professor at the University of Oklahoma's College of Law, said the ballot measure is "an answer in search of a problem." He said he knows of no other state that has approved similar measures.

"There is no plausible danger of international law or Sharia law overtaking the legal system," Thai said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He said courts only consider international law when deciding issues involving a federal treaty, a business contract or a will that incorporates international law.

Thai said the ballot measure "raises thorny church-state problems as well" and could even affect a state judge's ability to consider the Ten Commandments.

"The Ten Commandments, of course, is international law. It did not originate in Oklahoma or the United States," Thai said.

Rick Tepker, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Law believes the "Save Our State" constitutional amendment may have the unwanted side effect of preventing judges from referencing the Ten Commandments. Tepker called the measure "a mess."

and this is a state that wants the 10 commandments on the state capitol grounds...
maybe they should put a sign next to them saying "invalid due to Oklahoma voters stupidity"

You have to understand that with all the Muslims running around Oklahoma (I think there were four at the last count) people have a reason to be afraid

Well, for a little while, they DID think Muslims had blown up the OK City Fed Bldg.

Tell me, how many Christian courts have you heard of where Christians go to get judgements instead of thru the government courts? Go ahead, we'll wait. The difference is that other religions have beliefs, Islam has courts who render verdicts. In a nation governed by law, other court systems are not acceptable.

Criminal issues must be governed by US criminal courts. Civil issues can still be handled in Muslim courts if both litigants agree.

But my response was to the comment, "It seems rather unconstitutional to ban the laws of one select religion. I would think they would have to ban the laws of all religions in order to make this stick." My point being that I am unaware of other religions in the US who have their own "laws" and courts. Perhaps Sharia Law was targeted individually because it is indeed unique. That and the fact that England now has Sharia courts. The intent is to keep that from happening here. We are a nation of laws, goverened by a constitution......not a religion. Thank God!!!
Orthodox Jews.

If the Ten Commandments are part of the Quran, would these Sharia law enthusiasts not be in violation of their own religion? Maybe the part about "Thou shall not kill"?
The correct translation of the Hebrew in the Bible is: "Thou shall not murder".

The Quran is also against murder. :cool:

Shirk is worse than Killing

Since Jihad involves killing and shedding the blood of men, Allah indicated that these men are committing disbelief in Allah, associating with Him (in the worship) and hindering from His path, and this is a much greater evil and more disastrous than killing. Abu Malik commented about what Allah said:

[وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنَ الْقَتْلِ]

(And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing.) Meaning what you (disbelievers) are committing is much worse than killing.'' Abu Al-`Aliyah, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr, `Ikrimah, Al-Hasan, Qatadah, Ad-Dahhak and Ar-Rabi` bin Anas said that what Allah said:

[وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنَ الْقَتْلِ]

(And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing.) "Shirk (polytheism) is worse than killing.''

Tafsir.com Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Its not clear in the OP..

Did Oklahoma ban all 10 Commandments or only the ones that don't make any sense?

Did the people get to choose which ones get banned?

OKlahoma passed the unconstitutional ban on Sharia law. I wonder if they realized that the 10 commandments are part of Sharia law and are now banned....

what a bunch of morons

Sharia is God's law. God's law is now banned in Oklahoma.

Theft which is prohibited under Sharia, is now legal in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
OKlahoma passed the unconstitutional ban on Sharia law. I wonder if they realized that the 10 commandments are part of Sharia law and are now banned....

what a bunch of morons

Theft is also against US law, so is murder. Those are the only two overlaps between the laws of this supernatural creature you call God and our laws.

Anyone for punishing people who dishoner their parents? How about coventing your neighbors stuff and his wife hmmmm?

To Hell (wait a minute I don't believe in Hell, what the hell!) with Sharia law, as well as governing by the 10 commandments.

what a bunch of morons

No Sharia is Mohammed's law it has nothing to do with any god .
Theft is encouraged under sharia law

mr-fitnah-albums-avy-picture1871-street-gang-islam.jpg

Last edited:

what a bunch of morons

From the Old Testament, Proverbs 6:30

Men do not despise a thief, if he steals to satisfy his soul when he is hungry.

I don't imagine that would be a popular concept among conservatives these days! :lol:

The Ten Commandments are overrated anyway

Really? I see them more as a good guideline for keeping the human race alive.

The first 3? Remember who God is and be respectful and don't create idols.

Thou shalt not murder? God wanted all of us to live.

Thou shalt not steal? God knows that if you do, someone will murder you.

Thou shalt not commit adultery? If you do, the SO will want to murder you.

Thou shalt not bear false witness? If you lie about something, you could get murdered.

Thou shalt not covet? If you covet your neighbors stuff, you may consider stealing or murder to get it.

Honor thy mother and father? Your parents brought you into this world, they can take you out.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy? If you don't take time off once in a while to talk to God, you may end up killing yourself. Ever heard of stress?

Nope, sorry.......the 10 Commandments are a pretty good set of rules to follow.

Last edited:

what a bunch of morons

You clearly have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Nothing was banned. It simply says Sharia law can not be used in courts. Learn to read before you fly off the handle.

Mr. Fitnuts why do you continue post such non sense.

#1) What you posted is NOT sharia law.

#2) The verse is about keeping items captured during war time.

(keeping the spoils of war is a time honored tradition of all peoples and nations)

3#) The Quran DOES NOT allow or condone theft from individuals; be they muslim or non muslim.

If the Ten Commandments are part of the Quran, would these Sharia law enthusiasts not be in violation of their own religion? Maybe the part about "Thou shall not kill"?
The correct translation of the Hebrew in the Bible is: "Thou shall not murder".

The Quran is also against murder. :cool:

what happens to muslims who murder?

The 10 commandments are part of sharia law?? Really? :lol: Oh yeah, surely they are....I remember these two commandments....don't you?

The 9th commandment: Thou shalt chop off the cock of all homosexuals and let them bleed to death. Or you can stone them. Either way, they must be killed.

The 10th Commandment: Thou shalt feel free to rape any woman you want, they are property, chattel. A camel is worth more than a woman.

Gays and women are so beloved in Islam!! It is a religion of peace and tolerance. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back