Okay, so maybe I was wrong about Air Fryers...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I made fun of them.
Because I knew all they are is a tiny electric heating element with a tiny fan....hooked to a calculator.
But this summer is going to be a hot/dry summer here thanks to, what meteorologist are saying, the strongest El-Nino in 34 years. It is 90 today. But this morning I wanted some baked chicken thighs. My choices were heat up the whole kitchen (and our bedroom which is off the kitchen) or grill them.
But wait... those air fryer things. How much... $80? Okay... so went to Wally world and picked up a 5 qt. one.
And to boot, whoa... they got a whole bunch of them marked down to $50... kewl.
Anyway... the chicken was cooked perfectly and crisped the skin nicely. Since I cooked it on the back porch - no heating the house up!
So... I was wrong. There is a place for these things.

Like everything else there will be a learning curve, and learning what it is, and isn't good for.
Today I learned - it sucks at defrosting. I followed the instructions for defrosting chicken with bones.
It did not defrost all the way to the center, but began to cook the outside. I wasn't really planning on using it to defrost, but wanted to see how it did. Won't do that again. Brining in cold water is the hands down best way to defrost.

My daughter in law doesn't use ours because it's too small. It really is just right and doesn't cause fish to smell either. I've made salmon and swordfish. No cooked fish smell.
The 5 qt. size is perfectly sized for the two of us.
I put in 4 chicken thighs, but I would say 6 would fit.
It is no way going to be a device for feeding a family, but two people... you bet.

We have an air fryer but we never use it.
It being so small is a major reason we dont.

Then stumbled across the DREO Chef Maker.
It being a kickstarter I was kinda leery but after doing some research DREO turned out to be legit and they make all kinds of products.
I watched a bunch of YouTube vids on it being tested by YouTube cooks some of which I trust and think highly of.
This guy Guga mainly does steaks and he really knows his shit so who better to trust?
The finished product will go for $380 so I said what the hell and joined up in supporting them and saved over $150 bucks.
This thing is so much more than an air fryer!!
They've just started mass producing them this month and I should get mine in early August.

convection ovens are great for tater tots.
great for pizza
great for steaks> 400 degrees 7-10 minutes per side
great for anything that you want to be crispy on the outside

great for pizza
I would never buy an oven that isn't convection.
It is why electric ovens are better than gas ovens by far.
I got my first convection oven in the early 2000s. Moved to a different home, replaced the oven immediately

Love the air fryer..and don't forget the veggies..very quick sides. Four or five colorful veggies..coat with olive oil and fresh garlic..maybe some basil and 5 minutes..perfect side dish!

iu

Last edited:
I made fun of them.
Because I knew all they are is a tiny electric heating element with a tiny fan....hooked to a calculator.
But this summer is going to be a hot/dry summer here thanks to, what meteorologist are saying, the strongest El-Nino in 34 years. It is 90 today. But this morning I wanted some baked chicken thighs. My choices were heat up the whole kitchen (and our bedroom which is off the kitchen) or grill them.
But wait... those air fryer things. How much... $80? Okay... so went to Wally world and picked up a 5 qt. one.
And to boot, whoa... they got a whole bunch of them marked down to $50... kewl.
Anyway... the chicken was cooked perfectly and crisped the skin nicely. Since I cooked it on the back porch - no heating the house up!
So... I was wrong. There is a place for these things.
My air fryer is probably the most heavily used kitchen appliance in my house besides the fridge, and freezer...

Potato wedges is about my favorite air fryer convenience.

Wash and cut a russet into wedges, stick it in a cheap dollar tree sandwich bag with a cap full of oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and work it around till it's coated. 15 min @ 400°, shake once ½ way thru.

Come out perfect every time.

Try hard cooking some eggs too.

And frittatas.

Oh...and get some liners.

Soooo convenient.

Yeah...any Biden voter is either a sheep or a collosal uninformed fool

We have an air fryer but we never use it.
It being so small is a major reason we dont.

Then stumbled across the DREO Chef Maker.
It being a kickstarter I was kinda leery but after doing some research DREO turned out to be legit and they make all kinds of products.
I watched a bunch of YouTube vids on it being tested by YouTube cooks some of which I trust and think highly of.
This guy Guga mainly does steaks and he really knows his shit so who better to trust?
The finished product will go for $380 so I said what the hell and joined up in supporting them and saved over $150 bucks.
This thing is so much more than an air fryer!!
They've just started mass producing them this month and I should get mine in early August.

Guga knows steaks. Yes indeed!

I know you do too.

My microwave has an onboard air fryer. It's kind of anemic compared to the good ones, but it works pretty well for things like french fries and crab cakes.

great for pizza
I had problems keeping my steaks medium rare using my Bella 3 quart.

Solved it by air frying them frozen.

Seared on the outside, and pink and tender on the inside.

Probably wouldn't need to do that on steaks over an inch thick though.

Guga knows steaks. Yes indeed!

I know you do too.

Yeah,he gets his hands on meat most will never get the chance to try.
He was the original reason we got a Sous Vide machine.
I thought at the time that Sous Vide was the best way....right up until I learned the reverse sear.
It now sits in the Butler Pantry gathering dust.

Once again it is about learning what something is good at, and not good at.
It is not good at porkchops.
I have a low tolerance for overdone meat.
I made sure the chops were patted as dry as possible to promote forming a crust.
Watched like 6 videos on what temp to use etc.
I find that it is impossible to form a crust and not overcook the center.
I will stick to pan frying chops... far superior. I can perfectly control the doneness.

Forum List

Back