OK-This Veggie needs advice on how to make a good Meatloaf!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Yeah, I know.

My sweetie LOVES meat, he is the carnivore for the ages, so it MUST be love!

Anyway, I want to make him meatloaf, and wondered if the good people of the USMB had a good recipe.

He doesn't like it 'too bready' and likes things spicy.

Thanks!

Oh, wait. You mean a real meat loaf? Not a veggie one?

In that case, my Mom uses:

2 parts ground beef, 1 part ground pork, one onion, clove of garlic, a few chopped sage leaves, mustard, tomato paste, breadcrumbs, paprika, salt and pepper.

It's very yummy

EZ, mix some bread crumbs in with the ground beef. Not too much though so it isn't bready.

Add a can of tomato sauce for every pound of meat you use, save a little in a can though. Mix in some minced garlic. I don't know an exact amount, I usually use about a Tbsp or 2 per lb. Splash some worcestershire sauce in, salt and pepper, and mix it until it's all blended together. Shape it into a loaf on a baking pan, coat the top with the sauce you saved, and bake at 350 for about 75 minutes.

That's the same recipe i use when I make stuffed peppers but I also add white rice into the mixture when I make peppers.

How big? I make mine thusly:
2 lbs lean ground sirloin in a bowl. I add a raw egg, about a cup of breading or you can use stovetop dressing with or without the spices that are included OR you can toast your own bread then crumble it up OR if push comes to shove, regular crackers crumbled. Salt, pepper, garlic a splash of worchestershire sauce. Mix and blend with hands. If you like onions, add diced in the mixture. The egg holds it all together. If hubby likes spice, maybe some diced jalapenos or cayene pepper. Once it's all blended, make a big ball. Flop it in a casserole dish or bread pan (depends on how thick you want it once cooked). I usually use a square cake pan. Lightly grease pan with olive oil first then wipe with paper towel. It will get a little greasy from the meat. Then smear catsup on top. Slap in oven and bake til there is no pink in the middle (kinda like a cake).

2 parts ground beef, 1 part ground pork, one onion, clove of garlic, a few chopped sage leaves, mustard, tomato paste, breadcrumbs, paprika, salt and pepper.

It's very yummy

oh yeah, gotta add the pork.

another variation would be to replace 1 part beef with 1 part lamb or veal. or even venison.

I also like coating it during the last 1/2 hour or so with a good BBQ sauce, or even a thicker steak sauce like Peter Lugers. dont add too early or it might scorch.

1 lb ground sirloin
1 lb ground turkey (dark, not white)
1 can (10 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup quaker oats
1 egg
dash of worcester
3/4 cup onion flakes
black pepper, a little hot sauce, some red pepper, toss in whatever other seasonings you like (i throw i a little tarragon and rosemary)

mix the above together. put in loaf pan leaving about half inch around
pour a little red wine to about 1/3 up the side of the loaf pan drop in a couple of drops of gravy master

cook at 350 for 90 minutes.

(no pork in meat loaf...

sorry, del and marty)

Last edited:
Similar to the recipes that others have posted.

I use part beef (a mix of 93% lean and 80% lean) and the meatloaf meat mix they sell (I think it's beef/pork/veal). I mix in breadcrumbs and an egg and season w/garlic, onion powders, pepper and salt and mix in a can of tomato soup. Yes, tomato soup. You can reserve some for the top or open a new can and about 1/2 through cooking coat the top.

Cook at 350 for 50 minutes or so.

Meatloaf isn't one of my favs (could be that I hurled it up when pregnant with the boy heh) but when I do make it I usually make baked spuds. But it's really good with baked sweet potatoes. Something about the tanginess of the tomato soup combined with the sweetness of those potatoes . . . pretty damn good.

1 lb ground sirloin
1 cup quaker oats
1 egg
dash of worcester
3/4 cup onion flakes
black pepper, a little hot sauce, some red pepper, toss in whatever other seasonings you like (i throw i a little tarragon and rosemary)

pour a little red wine to about 1/3 up the side of the loaf pan drop in a couple of drops of gravy master

(no pork in meat loaf...

sorry, del and marty)

my mom made hers with just beef. i loved it. :)

per lb of ground sirloin or ground round....

mix in 1 egg, 2-3 slices of bread moistened with water then squeezed and crumbled, 4 slices of american cheese shredded or 1/2 cup of cheddar or favorite cheese grated, 3-4 tbl spoons of Worcestershire sauce for some spice, 2 tbspoons of ketchup and 1/2 tspn of salt, i/4 tspn of pepper....mix together, and form a loaf and put in shallow baking pan.

squeeze ketchup with squiggly design on the top of the loaf, add 2-3 slices of raw bacon lengthwise on top

bake at 350 for about an hour

1 lb ground sirloin
1 cup quaker oats
1 egg
dash of worcester
3/4 cup onion flakes

(no pork in meat loaf...

sorry, del and marty)

sirloin to me makes it too dry. and there is pork in EVERY form of chopped, balled, or loafed meat when you have southern italian heritage in your blood.

1 lb ground sirloin
1 cup quaker oats
1 egg
dash of worcester
3/4 cup onion flakes

(no pork in meat loaf...

sorry, del and marty)

sirloin to me makes it too dry. and there is pork in EVERY form of chopped, balled, or loafed meat when you have southern italian heritage in your blood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhBfRDd6GM]YouTube - ‪Goodfellas - Dinner in Prison‬‏[/ame]

:D

1 lb ground sirloin
1 cup quaker oats
1 egg
dash of worcester
3/4 cup onion flakes

(no pork in meat loaf...

sorry, del and marty)
The oatmeal is key!

It's very yummy

oh yeah, gotta add the pork.

another variation would be to replace 1 part beef with 1 part lamb or veal. or even venison.

I also like coating it during the last 1/2 hour or so with a good BBQ sauce, or even a thicker steak sauce like Peter Lugers. dont add too early or it might scorch.

Yea, Mom sometimes coats it with BBQ sauce - and she makes a killer BBQ sauce. We always make our own BBQ sauce.... actually, I don't think I've ever bought one - always make my own.

Meat loaf

If you have a food processor it will make this dish much easier.

12oz each Ground Beef, Pork, Veal…..If you get this from a butcher have them grind it to together 3 times.

2 cups soft fresh bread crumbs. Pulse in a food processor for best results.
1tea salt
¼ tea each black and white pepper.
1/8tea all spice
2 egg
1 ¼ C half and half

!2 oz mushrooms. Cleaned and chopped finely in a food processor.
1 cube butter
½ cup carrots. Cleaned and peeled then chopped fine in a food processor
1 medium onion. Cleaned and chopped fine in a food processor.
3 cloves garlic chopped finely.
2 Tlb Brandy

1Tlb Dijon mustard
1Tlb ketchup

In a large bowl place the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg and half and half. Mix and let soak.

Sauté mushrooms in some butter until most of the liquid has been reabsorbed. Remove to sheet pan ..set aside to cool.

In same pad add more butter and a bit of oil. Sauté the onion, carrot and garlic until soft. Add Brandy and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Combine the mustard and ketchup

Preheat oven at 375.
Grease a large baking dish.

With your hands…I use latex gloves.

Mix the meat into the bread crumb mixture. Add the mushroom mixture and slowly combine it. Add in the Carrot and onion mixture and mix until well combined. Place into prepared baking dish and top with mustard ketchup mix.

Bake for about 45minutes to 1 hour…. Poke into the middle to see if its done to your liking.

Let stand at room temp for 10 minutes covered with foil before cutting.

Enjoy.

For left overs...

Hot meatloaf on Hawaiian rolls with some lettuce tomato and mayo....YUMMY!

This is my Dad's Meatloaf Recipe. Tis delish.

Dad’s Meat Loaf:

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 beaten eggs
2 slices of bread – cube or crumbs (I substitute Progresso plain bread crumbs )
Dried Parsley
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pepper
Minced garlic
Diced mushrooms

Mix ingredients. Press into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Pour off grease and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 meat loaves.

Note: I amp up the Worcestershire sauce and dried mustard a bit.

meatloaf.jpg

Not too bready.

Forum List

Back