Oil price leaps to year's high

Oil prices go up every year right after memorial day. It always has and always will and the price hikes have nothing to do with supply.

Oh Joy. I'm driving down to the Keys tomorrow. 1500 miles and about $100 more than it would have been in February.

You don't see the price of Coke going up 100% every spring.

Hmm. Since our government just bought a couple of car companies and want those companies to invest heavily in hybrid vehicles, what do you think the chances are that oil prices are going to STAY high?

Hmm. Since our government just bought a couple of car companies and want those companies to invest heavily in hybrid vehicles, what do you think the chances are that oil prices are going to STAY high?

Not if they've got any sense. Most voters are short of money right now, and very few of them drive vehicles that deliver for than 25 mpg. Policy tends to go where the votes are.

Not if they've got any sense. Most voters are short of money right now, and very few of them drive vehicles that deliver for than 25 mpg. Policy tends to go where the votes are.

Well, by congressional thinking, I'm sure that will be o.k. I heard on the radio this morning that they passed their Vouchers for Clunkers bill yesterday and figure people will jump at that $4500.00 government voucher towards a new car.

Why would having alternatives raise the price of oil Vel?

Why is supply and demand, the key to capitalism working, not in play with oil?

Oil prices should be at their lowest since demand is at its lowest...but for some reason, oil has a mind of its own...it never ever ever follows the natural supply and demand? I just don't get it?

Well I have given up hope that our new president will do anything about energy and fuels costs, well except tax the hell out of them, so I took matters into my own hands and purchased a new truck. It's an older model, a 01, but, it gets a solid 55mpg. So screw Obama!

Attachments

• $09 CUSHMAN FIVE.jpg
    $09 CUSHMAN FIVE.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Well, by congressional thinking, I'm sure that will be o.k. I heard on the radio this morning that they passed their Vouchers for Clunkers bill yesterday and figure people will jump at that $4500.00 government voucher towards a new car.

gosh, i hope matt and me will qualify for this incentive, since my car is 15 years old and getting close to its last leg...but i heard that the car has to get 18 mpg or less and i think even this old Mitsubishi of ours gets 22 miles per gallon....???

do you have a link for the Vouchers and how it will work??? :D

Oh Joy. I'm driving down to the Keys tomorrow. 1500 miles and about $100 more than it would have been in February.

If you make it down to Key west, go to captain tony's and see if you can find a dollar bill on the ceiling saying Matt and Denise on it! :D

And ya gotta make it to sloppy joes.... if you go to Islamorada key and stay there, the Tiki Bar at Holiday Aisle is hopping and the marina has some pretty good fishing boats that go out for snapper and yellow tail....and if you want to rent a boat for yourself, Bud and Mary's is pretty good.

have fun!

i'm jealous!

If you make it down to Key west, go to captain tony's and see if you can find a dollar bill on the ceiling saying Matt and Denise on it! :D

And ya gotta make it to sloppy joes.... if you go to Islamorada key and stay there, the Tiki Bar at Holiday Aisle is hopping and the marina has some pretty good fishing boats that go out for snapper and yellow tail....and if you want to rent a boat for yourself, Bud and Mary's is pretty good.

have fun!

i'm jealous!

Oh, we'll make it to Key West, though we're going to be based in Marathon (right in the middle, cheaper, easier to get everywhere).

I'll keep an eye out if we get to Captain Tony's!

Thanks for the info.

Why would having alternatives raise the price of oil Vel?

Why is supply and demand, the key to capitalism working, not in play with oil?

Oil prices should be at their lowest since demand is at its lowest...but for some reason, oil has a mind of its own...it never ever ever follows the natural supply and demand? I just don't get it?

I've always believed it's the futures market on the lookout for a quick buck.

.....and what will the people who blamed Bush last year because he was an "oil man" say this
year when it goes up to 4$ ?

Gasoline is volatile. Like milk, it has a shelf life.

Also there is no problem of ramping up production of coke. The folks in atlanta have no problem setting up a new production plant any time they want. There have been no new refineries built since the Carter administration. To much of a NIMBY problem. Which I can perfectly understand, as I don't want a refinery near me either.

And demand is very volatile too.

The price of inputs for coke are pretty much steady. And the raw materials are basicly sugar, which is cheap, and water, which is cheaper. And the margin on coke is huge. They are essentially selling tap water for $1.25. The margin on gas is tiny. And the raw materials cost is volatile and huge. The price of raw petroleum has gone from $120 per barrel down to 30 and then back up to 60. And we are bidding for a resource against the whole world, rather than just the local town. And Gasoline is not even the major use of oil anymore either. All those plastics, all those computer motherboards, the new computer and tv screens, that all comes from oil too. The economy recovers, then all the other things we buy bid against the gasoline supply as well.

There are lots of things going on here.

As for me, I got a bike.

.....and what will the people who blamed Bush last year because he was an "oil man" say this

The Oil Companies are going to gouge us with or without Bush. Lets see how the Dems handle it.

One way we're different is we will actually deliver alternative energy.

And tell me, what is the reason for the high gas prices? Remember last year it was because we were entering hurricane season? Or they said Israel did a fly by over Iran and that raised prices?

Bullshit. This is driving season and thats the only reason. And they aren't gouging us on heating our homes in the summer so they gotta get theirs from cars.

Fuck them. This isn't a free market industry. This is oil companies taking our oil from our lands for cheap and then gouging us for max profits. Our government needs to get them under control. And if they wont stop, then nationalize oil like Hugo Chavez did.

Gasoline is volatile. Like milk, it has a shelf life.

Also there is no problem of ramping up production of coke. The folks in atlanta have no problem setting up a new production plant any time they want. There have been no new refineries built since the Carter administration. To much of a NIMBY problem. Which I can perfectly understand, as I don't want a refinery near me either.

And demand is very volatile too.

The price of inputs for coke are pretty much steady. And the raw materials are basicly sugar, which is cheap, and water, which is cheaper. And the margin on coke is huge. They are essentially selling tap water for $1.25. The margin on gas is tiny. And the raw materials cost is volatile and huge. The price of raw petroleum has gone from $120 per barrel down to 30 and then back up to 60. And we are bidding for a resource against the whole world, rather than just the local town. And Gasoline is not even the major use of oil anymore either. All those plastics, all those computer motherboards, the new computer and tv screens, that all comes from oil too. The economy recovers, then all the other things we buy bid against the gasoline supply as well.

There are lots of things going on here.

As for me, I got a bike.

You've clearly taken a lot of trouble pulling that together. Thanks.

I could take issue, split hairs etc about some of your points, but in all honesty my coke comment was off the cuff and doesn't really merit too much defense. My point was essentially that a product which costs broadly the same to produce year in year out should not vary in price every year based on something as predictable as a seasonal rise in temperature.

The Oil Companies are going to gouge us with or without Bush. Lets see how the Dems handle it.

One way we're different is we will actually deliver alternative energy.

And tell me, what is the reason for the high gas prices? Remember last year it was because we were entering hurricane season? Or they said Israel did a fly by over Iran and that raised prices?

Bullshit. This is driving season and thats the only reason. And they aren't gouging us on heating our homes in the summer so they gotta get theirs from cars.

Fuck them. This isn't a free market industry. This is oil companies taking our oil from our lands for cheap and then gouging us for max profits. Our government needs to get them under control. And if they wont stop, then nationalize oil like Hugo Chavez did.

So, get into the auto business and the oil business....hmmm.

Forum List

Back