Ohio may reform gun free zone laws....so they make sense....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
so....you go to pick up your kid at school, but forgot to go home first to take off your pistol.....and someone sees you have a gun.....

As current law stands in Ohio, you would now be a felon...having committed no crime, and never used your gun to commit a crime....

OHio wants to change that......so That if you are a law abiding citizen and simply forget about your gun.....they will just ask you to leave...if you don't, it is the same as disturbing the peace....

Ohio Set to Reform 'Gun Free Zone' Penalties? - The Truth About Guns

Before

A person who inadvertently enters such a prohibited zone in Ohio is subject to a felony charge, risking a maximum penalty of 12 months in prison and a $2,500 fine. A felony conviction removes the right to vote and the right to own firearms.

---------------

Future

The penalties would be similar to other non-violent acts such as disturbing a lawful meeting or failure to disperse.

And so they should. Americans with concealed carrypermits are, statistically, some of the most law abiding people in the country. They’re far more law abiding than the population at large and ten times more law abidingthan police officers.

Last edited:
We have the same problem here in Wisconsin. If I'm dropping off or picking up someone at a public school, I have to stop within 1,000 feet of it, unholster my G19, pull the mag, eject the round in the chamber, and place it unloaded in the trunk.

That's a monumental hassle because the probability of having an accidental discharge rises exponentially when you have to finger-fuck your weapon.

We can carry in bars too, as long as we're not consuming any alcoholic beverage.

A question though: The "Gun-Free School Zone" is a federal law. How hard is it for an individual state to over-ride federal law? We don't have the leisure of carrying on public school property here yet, but it would be nice if the state would write that into our concealed-carry law.

Forum List

Back