Ohio Man Fatally Shoots Teen Son He Mistook for an Intruder

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013
Remember people it is far more likely that intruder is friend or family rather than someone looking to murder you.

CINCINNATI (AP) — Police in Cincinnati say a man has fatally shot his 14-year-old son in their home, thinking he was an intruder.

Police say the man thought his son had caught the bus for school Tuesday morning, but the teen returned home soon afterward before 7 a.m. Police say the man heard a noise in the basement in the East Price Hill neighborhood, and checked on it with a gun in his hand. Police say the father fired after apparently being startled, hitting the boy in the neck.

Authorities say the father called 911 and the boy was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, where he died Tuesday morning.

Ohio police say man fatally shot son, 14, at home - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Remember people it is far more likely that intruder is friend or family rather than someone looking to murder you.

CINCINNATI (AP) — Police in Cincinnati say a man has fatally shot his 14-year-old son in their home, thinking he was an intruder.

Police say the man thought his son had caught the bus for school Tuesday morning, but the teen returned home soon afterward before 7 a.m. Police say the man heard a noise in the basement in the East Price Hill neighborhood, and checked on it with a gun in his hand. Police say the father fired after apparently being startled, hitting the boy in the neck.

Authorities say the father called 911 and the boy was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, where he died Tuesday morning.

Ohio police say man fatally shot son, 14, at home - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

I cannot imagine the turmoil this man must be going through, I hope he's okay, because he must be almost suicidal.

I cannot imagine the turmoil this man must be going through, I hope he's okay, because he must be almost suicidal.

He may never be happy again. It is a horrible tragedy.

This is terrible. This is why a solid communication loop needs to be in place among your family members.

My prayers go out to these folks.

He may never be happy again. It is a horrible tragedy.

We know a man, he was reversing car out of garage and by accident hit his 4 year-old daughter and she was killed. He hanged himself a few days later.

This is terrible. This is why a solid communication loop needs to be in place among your family members.

You should know who you are shooting at before you pull that trigger. The chance of it being a friend/family member is astronomically higher than some intruder intent on killing you.

You should know who you are shooting at before you pull that trigger. The chance of it being a friend/family member is astronomically higher than some intruder intent on killing you.

Not that I think Oscar Pistorius is innocent, I think he knew and meant to kill girlfriend....IMHO.

True, but as I tell my kids, don't sneak into the house; make your presence known ASAP. The boy could have sent his dad a text message, or came in through the front door.

Not that I think Oscar Pistorius is innocent, I think he knew and meant to kill girlfriend....IMHO.

Hell yeah he knew what he was doing.

True, but as I tell my kids, don't sneak into the house; make your presence known ASAP. The boy could have sent his dad a text message, or came in through the front door.

He was 14 and not expecting his dad to shoot him. It was his own house after all. And like I said the chance of it being someone intent on murder is tiny compared to being friend or family. His dad also could have called out. Most intruders will get out if they know you have detected them. Then nobody gets shot.

WHY in the world would a 14 year old think he had to make a lot of noise coming in?

What a way to live - make noise so dad doesn't shoot you. I wouldn't want to raise my child to be so afraid of every little noise that he would think he had to pull the trigger.

I always wonder how these parents can go on after their child is killed, by any one and by any means but to be the one who killed your own child just because you just had to have a gun by your side at all times - how could anyone live with that?

So many lives shattered and for no reason. Its heart breaking.

Muzzle discipline, Trigger discipline...rule one and two of firearm safety.

Trigger discipline.png

NRA rules.png

Rule 4: Know your target and what is beyond.

Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

Education and Training|NRA Gun Safety Rules

Last edited:
And people never learn.

With every single shooting like this, the nutters say they're safe, they teach their kids, they know what they're doing and they never effing learn.

My bet is that father said the same thing - before he killed his own son.

Remembering after Columbine, the grand father of one of the shooters said he had guns around the house, had taught his g-son everything he knew and no, he would not be keeping guns away from the other kids in the family.

People never learn.

And people never learn.

With every single shooting like this, the nutters say they're safe, they teach their kids, they know what they're doing and they never effing learn.

Remembering after Columbine, the grand father of one of the shooters said he had guns around the house, had taught his g-son everything he knew and no, he would not be keeping guns away from the other kids in the family.

People never learn.

Accidents happen. Nothing 100% safe.

It is a small price to pay for our second ammendment rights

That's a real tragedy. WE ARE KEEPING OUR GUNS LIBTARDS!

It was a dumb move on the father's part, but you can't help but feel for him. I won't be surprised if he never holds a gun again.

That said, it's not something to make a political point over. Dumb people will own guns. Dumb people will own cars, and hurt someone they love as well.

And people never learn.

People never learn.

Accidents happen. Nothing 100% safe.

Dead 14yo and you say "accidents happen".

Bet you're a big fan of the shrub's bro. Remember when his reaction to a mass shooter was "stuff happens".

Is this what you would say if you shot a child?

A young boy who had his whole life in front of him, who never owned or drove a car, had a job, a checking account, a girl he was madly in love with, a virgin, never went away to college, never experienced any of life's joys or heartaches all because his daddy was too fucking scared to be five feet away from his fucking gun, so scared that he blasts away at a noise.

But yeah, "accidents happen".

You know what? I own guns but that "accident" will not happen at my house because that was NOT an accident.

If you're wearing a gun on your hip or have one next to your chair in front of the tv or sitting on your kitchen counter or the coffee table its because you want to shoot someone a whole lot more than you want to keep your family safe.

Stupid fuckers shouldn't be allowed to have children OR guns because you're too damn dumb.

Forum List

Back