Ohio Bank Forecloses On Wrong House -- Refuses To Compensate Owner For Losses

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Imagine returning from vacation and finding the locks have been changed on your house. Then you climb in through a window and find all of your furnishings and possessions are gone.

You call the police and they tell you they can't help you because the First National Bank of your town has mistakenly foreclosed on your house and the contractor the bank hired to effect the foreclosure has removed and disposed of all your belongings.

That is exactly what happened to Katie Barnett of Wellston, Ohio.

Adding insult to injury, the bank's president has indignantly refused to reimburse Katie for losses based on her claim because she cannot produce receipts -- which were removed along with everything else she owned!

The first thing that must be understood about this amazingly offensive but absolutely true story is the audacity of this banker is the direct result of newly-elected President Obama's egregious failure to take appropriate criminal action against those bankers who are responsible for the illegal maneuvers which substantially contributed to the near collapse of our economy. Instead of seizing those banks and prosecuting their offending executives, Obama simply handed them an $850 billion bailout and allowed them to walk away grinning.

So instead of fending off a million dollar punitive damage lawsuit, this banker is audaciously refusing to pay what is a perfectly reasonable compensation for the outrageously careless actions of the bank's representative contractor who effected the wrongful break and enter ("foreclosure").

This incident is evidence of what life in America is coming to. Wealth in America has evolved to nobility. This unquestionably is the kind of behavior which is expected from tyrannical royalty. The wealthy do as they please and the ordinary citizen/subject has little to no recourse.

Ohio Bank Forecloses On Wrong House - Business Insider

If she knows where she bought the furniture, that place would more than likely have a receipt on file. Same for major appliances, if she bought them.

If it was me, I'd be using the local media outlets to get my story all over the news. I'd be calling the bank every minute, including going over the local branch (if it's a chain), and also showing up every day. I would not sit back quietly.

If she knows where she bought the furniture, that place would more than likely have a receipt on file. Same for major appliances, if she bought them.

If it was me, I'd be using the local media outlets to get my story all over the news. I'd be calling the bank every minute, including going over the local branch (if it's a chain), and also showing up every day. I would not sit back quietly.

This is not a simple insurance claim. These sonsabitches broke into her home, ransacked and removed all of her belongings, then changed the locks on her doors. Now the sonofabitch is saying, "Oops! Sorry about that, but we're not paying on your estimate of loss!" Is that incredible audacity, or what?

I'm amazed that girl has presented nothing more than an $18,000 replacement claim. While no one should have any doubt the claim is exaggerated (why shouldn't it be?) don't you think under the circumstances that banker is getting off easy with an $18k claim? He should be thanking her for her mercy.

In addition to what they did to her you think the additional burden of scrounging around for receipts should be imposed on her? If it were me I would hire a lawyer on contingency to file a million dollar punitive damage claim in compensation for my emotional suffering due to trauma and for personal inconvenience -- and I think a jury would be exceptionally inclined to go along in view of the outrage. Don't you? This girl's ordeal is something anyone can empathize with.

The point of this story is not how to help this victim prove her claim. The point is what is happening to America. These goddam One Percenters have assumed the attitude of the British nobility during the Colonial era. They think they can just break into someone's home, remove all their belongings, lock them out, and then treat them like annoying peasants at the door when they demand compensation.

I am anxious to learn the outcome of this situation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back