Oh $h!t We Are Going to Die! The Yellowstone Super Volcano is About To Blow

YS Harmonic tremor.JPG

I still have screen shots of harmonic tremor and chugging (magma movement).... Fun times!

When in anger, fear or doubt,
run in circles, scream and shout.

but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

You get that it's a movie, right?

Yeah it's a movie, but it is actually true.

Yellowstone supervolcano eruption would cause 90k deaths and nuclear winter | Daily Mail Online

Their initial death estimate is extremely low..

And the movie was an extreme exaggeration.. For millions it would be a slow and painful death..

They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

Unusual eruptions at world's largest active geyser in Yellowstone
This is a precursor to a hydro-thermal explosion not a volcanic one. Were actually overdue for one as they happen about once every 150 years and the last one was 250+ ago and it laid over trees for 75-100 miles. Lewis and Clark were the first to observe the damage and record what they saw.

Actually the proper term is "phreatomagmatic".

They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

We will have at least a 100 year warning before the Big One, so don't worry about it.
Not so sure about that time line. Bob Smith (University of Utah) was in charge of the seismology and Yellowstone monitoring for 30 years and I believe he would disagree. In 2004-2009 we had a 3' crustal rise that caused Yellowstone lakes north thumb to almost drain. Crust displacement was moving rapidly and YVO had serious pucker factor going on when the 2009 quake swarm hit.

Since then a topographical mapping was done exposing the magma chamber to be shown 10x what the thought it was and that it is 90% filled. Crust fell back almost to pre-rise levels but I can attest that many were scared shitless at the time and they had just 2 years warning.

Since then they have tripled seismograph monitoring and crust rise/shift monitoring. There is still unsettled nervousness there even today.

The amount of magma movement required to cause another explosion is far more significant than what you are seeing there now. I worked on the magma research project in the Long Valley Caldera back in the 1980's and in that region you would be looking at regional uplift (tumescence) on the order of hundreds of feet before the eruption/explosion could occur. That would take at least one hundred years. Yellowstone is basically the same. There would be widespread regional (think on the order of a 1000 square mile region of uplift) before anywhere near enough pressure developed to cause an explosion.

It would be obvious as hell. This is all based on observed data BTW.

We will have at least a 100 year warning before the Big One, so don't worry about it.
Not so sure about that time line. Bob Smith (University of Utah) was in charge of the seismology and Yellowstone monitoring for 30 years and I believe he would disagree. In 2004-2009 we had a 3' crustal rise that caused Yellowstone lakes north thumb to almost drain. Crust displacement was moving rapidly and YVO had serious pucker factor going on when the 2009 quake swarm hit.

Since then a topographical mapping was done exposing the magma chamber to be shown 10x what the thought it was and that it is 90% filled. Crust fell back almost to pre-rise levels but I can attest that many were scared shitless at the time and they had just 2 years warning.

Since then they have tripled seismograph monitoring and crust rise/shift monitoring. There is still unsettled nervousness there even today.

The amount of magma movement required to cause another explosion is far more significant than what you are seeing there now. I worked on the magma research project in the Long Valley Caldera back in the 1980's and in that region you would be looking at regional uplift (tumescence) on the order of hundreds of feet before the eruption/explosion could occur. That would take at least one hundred years. Yellowstone is basically the same. There would be widespread regional (think on the order of a 1000 square mile region of uplift) before anywhere near enough pressure developed to cause an explosion.

This makes sense. The sounder mapping showed a large area of rise pre 2009.
img86_350w_339h.jpg

The lake region was the point of stress. The group didn't have good information IMHO. Hind sight is 20/20

This makes sense. The sounder mapping showed a large area of rise pre 2009.
img86_350w_339h.jpg

The lake region was the point of stress. The group didn't have good information IMHO. Hind sight is 20/20

That or they were hyping it to get more money for their research. Seems to work for the globull warming crowd so expect to see a lot more "OH MY GOD WE MIGHT ALL DIE!" BS before this method of grant writing is put to bed.

nobody is going to die

not because of the super volcano...
When we get a caldera eruption, anywhere on Earth, yes, people are going to die. However, we should get plenty of warning. The worst effect, except for those in the area, will be the effect on agriculture for about 5 years.

nobody is going to die

When we get a caldera eruption, anywhere on Earth, yes, people are going to die. However, we should get plenty of warning. The worst effect, except for those in the area, will be the effect on agriculture for about 5 years.

yes, well.....the "caldera eruption" will not happen in my lifetime.

what good does that do? lol

It might never happen...so there you go

150811.new.Yellowstone.rez.sm.jpg

FYI..

This is the amount of magma the U of U and USGS found. If it vents you need to consider it an ELE.

Until the red completely fills up the orange it won't be a problem.

nobody is going to die

It will happen... it is just a matter of when... kind of like a meteor hitting Earth.

nobody is going to die

It will happen... it is just a matter of when... kind of like a meteor hitting Earth.

Maybe. So far we only have evidence of one catastrophic eruption for any one particular Giant Volcanic Caldera.

Toba Eruption Event ... 75,000 years ago a super volcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a 10 year winter that reduced the global human population to less that 20,000.

Not a movie
------------------------------------------ see the 'year without a summer' , it was 1815 or 16 . Big eruption , there were food riots in Europe if i recall .

nobody is going to die

it's a matter of when?

no good! lol

We don't live forever you know?

Toba Eruption Event ... 75,000 years ago a super volcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a 10 year winter that reduced the global human population to less that 20,000.

Not a movie
------------------------------------------ see the 'year without a summer' , it was 1815 or 16 . Big TAMBORA eruption , there were food riots in Europe if i recall .
------------------------------------------------ 200 years ago, we endured a 'year without a summer' --- not too long ago , might happen again at any time.

Forum List

Back