Oh dear... plans for the GOP fear machine leaked

You mean a political party is planning on how they're going to win an election? Wow. I'm floored. :\

In other words; this is no worse than portraying yourself as post-racial, post-partisan, transparent centrist when you clearly are not in order to win a presidential election.

You mean a political party is planning on how they're going to win an election? Wow. I'm floored. :\

In other words; this is no worse than portraying yourself as post-racial, post-partisan, transparent centrist when you clearly are not in order to win a presidential election.

And you wonder why the rest of us think wingnuts are clueless.

A Political Party using Scare Tactics?

That isn't news, that's been around for quite sometime.. don't ask Surprised.. Both Parties do it.

I'm just grateful the GOP took a break from campaigning. It would be great if Obama could do likewise and try to focus on getting us out of the mess.

And you wonder why the rest of us think wingnuts are clueless.
Who's a wing nut? I wish i didn't have to vote for the republicans cause they're only slightly less worse than the democrats.

I'm just grateful the GOP took a break from campaigning. It would be great if Obama could do likewise and try to focus on getting us out of the mess.

I guess you don't understand that all presidents campaign to get their legislation passed. When all else fails, they turn to the people to try and get them to egg congress along to their position.

There's not a sign of any constructive plan in the memo. Their only strategy is to tear down the Democratic Party.

I think it's the fact that they actually have a physical "manual" for this that floored me. Completely retarded. Did you notice how they refer to their donors as egotists and rubes? You just can't make this stuff up.... it's just like when their "talking points" were leaked.

There's not a sign of any constructive plan in the memo. Their only strategy is to tear down the Democratic Party.
Does there need to be? The democratic machine currently running things in Washington is pretty unpopular with a majority of people according to numerous polls. Why wouldn't the GOP oppose the unpopular policies?

It's quite brilliant actually. The more the democrats keep pursuing unpopular policies, the more the republicans can just sit back, say we don't agree and not really have to do anything to win an election. That way, they won't have many campaign promises to live up to once they get back in power. Best of all, they won't have to worry about people remembering how they weren't doing a very good job either when they were in power.

This is basically how Obama won, you know. People were dis-pleased with Bush, so all Obama had to do it distance himself as far as he could from Bush and he got an easy victory. The tables have turned, once again, and it won't be the last time.

Last edited:
Except those images are hardly "scary." They're downright childish.

So are most politicians.

There is nothing shocking here. Both of the parties engage in fear politics every election cycle. It appears the GOP was just dumb enough to put it in writing and leave it behind for someone to find.

Go a little deeper. Look a little closer. Seems the GOP is resorting to the old playbook yet again. That playbook was published back in the late 1940s and gets dusted off whenever we are lucky enough to have the GOP marginalized and out of power.

That playbook calls for selling fear rather than solutions, division rather than unity, suspicion rather than leadership.

And what types of personalities does this tactic work on best? Monolithic thinkers with no capacity for nuance. In other words, the contemporary American Conservative.

That playbook calls for selling fear rather than solutions, division rather than unity, suspicion rather than leadership.
Right, which is why it's a smart move for republicans. Obama promised health care reform and now look at how much trouble it's put him in. He's backed himself into a corner. If he doesn't pass anything, then he doesn't deliver on his biggest promise and looks like he can't get anything done especially considering the majority he has behind him. If he does pass this huge bill that the majority of Americans (according to polls) doesn't want, then he gets hit for passing something so huge and pervasive that most people don't want.

So why it would be smart for the republicans to offer up all kinds of ideas, proposals and promises when they don't really have to? Seems like being "the party of no" has worked out pretty well so far, winning the governorship of a liberal New Jersey, then the unthinkable win of the ultra-liberal Massachusetts' senate seat.

Keep in mind, i'm talking strictly in terms of winning elections. If you think that i'm saying the republicans have all the answers to our problems then you're incredibly mistaken. Sadly for us though, both parties, in general, could give a shit less about solving our problems so long as they've got the power to make decisions.

Last edited:
Right, which is why it's a smart move for republicans. Obama promised health care reform and now look at how much trouble it's put him in. He's backed himself into a corner. If he doesn't pass anything, then he doesn't deliver on his biggest promise and looks like he can't get anything done especially considering the majority he has behind him. If he does pass this huge bill that the majority of Americans (according to polls) doesn't want, then he gets hit for passing something so huge and pervasive that most people don't want.

So why it would be smart for the republicans to offer up all kinds of ideas, proposals and promises when they don't really have to? Seems like being "the party of no" has worked out pretty well so far, winning the governorship of a liberal New Jersey, then the unthinkable win of the ultra-liberal Massachusetts' senate seat.

Keep in mind, i'm talking strictly in terms of winning elections. If you think that i'm saying the republicans have all the answers to our problems then you're incredibly mistaken. Sadly for us though, both parties, in general, could give a shit less about solving our problems so long as they've got the power to make decisions.
So, in your estimation, selling fear is a great tactic because it will garner power for those doing the fear mongering. In your estimation, the American people will rally around their fears rather than their hopes.

Kind of cynical, pessimistic and destructive, don't you think?

Conservatives won in the 1980s by selling us "Morning in America" and a "Shining City of a Hill".

Now they are selling us sophomoric cartoons and fear.

Gee! Sign me up!:cuckoo:

So, in your estimation, selling fear is a great tactic because it will garner power for those doing the fear mongering. In your estimation, the American people will rally around their fears rather than their hopes.
That's what the GOP is banking on, and considering how unpopular the policies being pushed by congress and the white house, then why not? I've already laid out the benefits of such a plan. Your argument basically boils down to "i don't like the GOP and their tactics, so i won't vote for them." That's fine, go for it, but the GOP isn't looking to satisfy people like you who won't vote for them no matter what. If they were, then they'd all jump in the Obamacare pool.

Quite simply, the GOP is positioning themselves as far away from Obama and the democratic controlled congress as possible, and it's a smart move considering how the majority of people (once again,according to polls) oppose Obama, the democratic congress and their proposed policies.

So if it makes you feel better, you can snuggle with your morality in December after the GOP cleans up in November.

Last edited:
That's what the GOP is banking on, and considering how unpopular the policies being pushed by congress and the white house, then why not? I've already laid out the benefits of such a plan. Your argument basically boils down to "i don't like the GOP and their tactics, so i won't vote for them." That's fine, go for it, but the GOP isn't looking to satisfy people like you who won't vote for them no matter what. If they were, then they'd all jump in the Obamacare pool.

Quite simply, the GOP is positioning themselves as far away from Obama and the democratic controlled congress as possible, and it's a smart move considering how the majority of people (once again,according to polls) oppose Obama, the democratic congress and their proposed policies.

So if it makes you feel better, you can snuggle with your morality in December after the GOP cleans up in November.
I gave you the example of "Morning in America" but you are hunkering down with a bunker mentality. I can't see how that is supposed to motivate people without having an invading army at our border.

Forum List

Back