Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Trump has barricaded himself in the White House and has no idea or care about the damage his Shutdown is doing to the nation and its people

McConnell has to step up and do his job. Bring a bill to the floor of the Senate to open the government.

It's that simple.

Fuck Trump. He just doesn't care

Is Trump on suicide watch?

Oh. I thought you cared about what happened to them. If you did, you'd call Pelosi and Schumer's office and demand they end this government shutdown.

Shouldn't you be calling Trump - and Mexico?
Trump never said Mexico was going to write a check for the wall. Now,k why would I call Trump? He has said he would open up the government when Pelosi and Schumer provide money for a border barrier. He is willing to open the government. Are Pelosi and Schumer? Have you called them and asked them if they want to open the government?

BTW, don't think I didn't notice that you didn't claim you cared about the people who are out of work right now.

Actually, uninformed dumbass, Trump did in fact suggest that Mexico may write a one-time check for the wall.
I"m sure you have a link in which he said that Mexico will cut us a check for the border wall.

While your out looking for that, do Me a favor and call Pelosi and tell her to stop harming those government workers by withholding 0.0125% of our income from national security.
i tried to reach the President, and tried to reach Mc Connell, to tell them to end the shutdown.... they are the only 2 people who can end this, at this point and are the 2 people causing this mess.... though the President said it was all on himself.... and he would blame no one else... I blame Mc Connell too because he is not doing his constitutional duty... and keeping his obligation to keep the Senate as a SEPARATE and EQUAL power and branch of our government, instead of a sub-servant branch to the president by being the president's lapdog.
Incorrect. The two people who can end this is Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer. Trump has said he is willing to open the government and put people back to work and getting a paycheck this week. They simply have to provide funding for the barrier.

If they cared about these people, they would agree to his compromise of 5 billion dollars.

Oh. I thought you cared about what happened to them. If you did, you'd call Pelosi and Schumer's office and demand they end this government shutdown.

Trump never said Mexico was going to write a check for the wall. Now,k why would I call Trump? He has said he would open up the government when Pelosi and Schumer provide money for a border barrier. He is willing to open the government. Are Pelosi and Schumer? Have you called them and asked them if they want to open the government?

BTW, don't think I didn't notice that you didn't claim you cared about the people who are out of work right now.

Actually, uninformed dumbass, Trump did in fact suggest that Mexico may write a one-time check for the wall.
I"m sure you have a link in which he said that Mexico will cut us a check for the border wall.

While your out looking for that, do Me a favor and call Pelosi and tell her to stop harming those government workers by withholding 0.0125% of our income from national security.

You Google it. It's been widely reported, including video, for the past few days.

Trump Denied He Said Mexico Would Write a Check for the Wall — But He Did
Wow, do you even understand English? When he says, "They may even write us a check" does not mean he said they "WILL WRITE US A CHECK". In fact, he even said they will pay in one form or another. So, you just lied.

Now, contact Pelosi and/or Schumer and tell them to stop hurting these people.

didn't they just call back to work the IRS employees and a few other agencies by now calling them essential and now they too are working 40 hours a week for nothing?

There’s a conservative theory bouncing around (as it usually does during government shutdowns) that furloughed “nonessential” federal employees won’t be missed, and that in fact Americans who don’t miss them will suddenly experience enlightenment and vote to shrink government forever.

But instead of endorsing this theory by shrugging at the unperformed jobs of “nonessential” workers, the Trump administration is now recalling 46,000 of them, who will go from the frying pan of not being allowed to work to the fire of being forced to work without pay.

Some will be assigned to tasks that will head off dangerous criticism of the administration, like aircraft and food safety inspections. Others are apparently being rushed to the assistance of favored industries like mortgage lenders and oil companies, as Bloomberg reports:

Get unlimited access to Intelligencer and everything else New York.
Learn More »
The Interior Department is now clearing the way for previously furloughed workers to help sell drilling rights in U.S. coastal waters, as 11 personnel are being temporarily recalled to prepare documents necessary for auctions of Gulf of Mexico expected in March and August …

Some 40 personnel also are available amid the shutdown on an on-call basis to help process permits authorizing seismic tests to search for oil in the Atlantic Ocean and develop a new five-year plan for selling drilling rights in U.S. coastal waters from mid-2019 through mid-2024.

Yeah, sounds pretty essential if you are a fan of fossil fuels. But the bulk (an estimated 36,000) of recalled workers are at the IRS, basically so that the tax refunds Trump promised can go out more or less on schedule. That promise aside, the bigger picture is that Republicans at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue want to make sure taxpayers realize the benefits of the one major accomplishment of the 115th Congress, the 2017 tax-cut bill. If IRS employees have to engage in what is essentially involuntary servitude to make that happen, so be it.

Unfortunately for them, their union was rebuffed in court this week as a federal judge refused to deem the unpaid work a violation of both federal statutes and the constitution. The judge basically cried havoc and suggested the relief could make a shutdown mess even more of a mess. The more this drags on, though, and the more the administration turns furlough plans into Swiss cheese at the behest of lobbyists and Republican pols, the less the judiciary will perpetually tolerate the attendant injustices and deliberate skirting of the law.

Trump Recalls 50,000 Furloughed Employees Who Now Get to Work Without Pay

Dissolve the IRS and go to a flat tax, and they will assume their nonessential roles.
Like that is even an option to do at this moment?

No. It should have been done decades ago.

so, no long forms and deductions? just a flat tax on gross income? Would that be for businesses and corporations as well, where they have no deductions either and would pay a flat tax on their gross sales???

Everyone, no deductions. Under a certain threshold pays no tax.

This is a great chance to drain the swamp, or at least good chunk of it.

Most of us believe that gov't workers can't be laid off. They can, although it comes with slew of civil service protections, and government calls it RIF, as Reduction In Force.

These protections makes it hard for government worker to be laid off, but if guidelines are followed, and withing certain criteria, it's doable.

In deciding who stays and who goes, they look into: tenure, veteran status, federal civilian and military service, and performance. It's funny that performance is the last factor they look at, and that RIF cannot be used to fire bad employees.Many of the government bureaucrats are protected by these rules that creates impression none of them can lose the job. Except...

With shutdown day 30 approaching, there are some rules that have not been enforced before, since shutdown never lasted that long. One of those rules says that if government employee is furloughed for 30 calendar days, or 22 discontinuous work days, government must use RIF procedure, an employees can be terminated or moved to an available position.

Chuck and Nancy walked into a trap, and it seems that Donald has upper hand here.

If that is in fact a rule, it will never be applied in this case. Keep dreaming.

Has the Federal government ever had a layoff? No matter what the economy, the expansion in Federal government never stops. It needs to stop and reverse. And why should any government paper pusher make over $150K a year? The upper end of the GS pay scale is insane.
Reforming Federal Worker Pay and Benefits

Actually the size of the Fed workforce has stayed pretty steady since the 1970s (except for census years). It grew under Reagan and Bush I and then settled back down.

upload_2019-1-17_6-14-57.png

Why on Earth are you Democrats so dishonest? Yes, okay this was the first official meeting since Pelosi was reelected as Speaker of the House, but no one believes she was going to suddenly say "okay I'm Speaker now, time to work with Trump" especially when she had been making public statements every day since being elected that she would never give $1 for a border wall.

If you TRULY wanted to see compromise you would be asking Nancy "Why are you not negotiating?"

Did Trump ask her what she would give? Did he ask her anything other than "Do I get my wall". That's not a negotiation. That's a terrorist demand.

Furthermore, by walking out of the meeting, Trump looks weak. Now he's got no way out. If he goes and asks the questions he SHOULD have asked before walking out like a spoiled child. He's given in.

I can't take someone who calls not wanting to deal with a woman who refuses to negotiate terrorism seriously.

You are a clown and dismissed.
Screw trump and his bs art of the deal and btw you shouldn't talk down to your betters

Not only did Trump not write the book, I am betting he has never read it.
It doesn't really matter because political and business negotiations have about as much in common as ice hockey and ice fishing.

Business negotiations are more transaction and political negotiations are based on commonly known facts and relationships, typically long term relationships. For example in a business negotiation a company may purchase a competitor after a couple meetings, get a great deal, and never cross paths again. In trade negotiations which often go on for years, both sides have all the facts so cutting a "great deal" and gaining a major advantage just doesn't happen.

It might appear that two political leaders meet for an hour, throw new proposals on the table and arrive at a major decision. Well that makes good reading but in reality, all major proposals are studied by staff usually before the meeting so each leader knows how he or she will respond.

Trump has spoke many times about the importance of secrecy in negotiations. Unlike business negotiation, everything tends to be transparent in political negotiations. Most all the cards are on the table.

Bluffing in business negotiations often works but not in political negotiations. Often in making business decisions you're in a room with a small group and you can get away with exaggerations and bluffs. In political negotiations there are just too many people that know the facts and will call your bluff.

Lastly, in business negotiations getting a financial advantage is almost always the primary goal. In politics, finance tends to be much less important than public image, building relationships, and getting commitments on other issues.
Perhaps Flopper
Perhaps the Republicans should learn how to run a newspaper instead of whining and crying all the time about how unfair and mean the media is.
Have you ever wondered why the media leans to the left? I don't wonder. It's simple really ..... people in the media are educated, they're smart, they think.

It's time for McConnell to act like the Senate Majority Leader...not the Senate Trump TOADIE

The people who are truly getting hurt are D donors and D voters. Gail comes from Republican upstate NY so she gets good intelligence from there. If you don't have a pension and a paid for house anywhere in the state you are in deep trouble due to the minimum wage hike and increased regulation.

I lived in NY for many years so I know exactly what goes on there. State, county, city, township overlapping layers of government dole workers with fat pensions, salaries, and benefits, full retirement at 55 paid for by the taxpayers. Many retire then get hired back and draw their pension plus continue to draw a government paycheck. Some of 2 even 3 government pensions. And naturally NY government pensions don't have to pay state income tax. Its a thick layer of parasites who then game the system anyway they can.

Did you know that government workers nearing retirement in NY, they funnel lots of overtime hours to that employee so puff up their salary, so that when they retire the pension is not based on their normal salary but on this puffed up final year. The pension ends up being more than they were making working full time.

And lets not even talk about the patronage jobs doled out by politicians to friends and family without restrictions on the salary.

The people who are truly getting hurt are D donors and D voters. Gail comes from Republican upstate NY so she gets good intelligence from there. If you don't have a pension and a paid for house anywhere in the state you are in deep trouble due to the minimum wage hike and increased regulation.

I lived in NY for many years so I know exactly what goes on there. State, county, city, township overlapping layers of government dole workers with fat pensions, salaries, and benefits, full retirement at 55 paid for by the taxpayers. Many retire then get hired back and draw their pension plus continue to draw a government paycheck. Some of 2 even 3 government pensions. And naturally NY government pensions don't have to pay state income tax. Its a thick layer of parasites who then game the system anyway they can.

Did you know that government workers nearing retirement in NY, they funnel lots of overtime hours to that employee so puff up their salary, so that when they retire the pension is not based on their normal salary but on this puffed up final year. The pension ends up being more than they were making working full time.

And lets not even talk about the patronage jobs doled out by politicians to friends and family without restrictions on the salary.
What is really hurting is the loss of jobs is becoming an economic tsunami. If Trump can and does RIF only 5-10% of the bureaucracy then the housing and employment markets will take a 10-20% hit. Knock on effects will get worse in a vicious cycle.

From the Daily Caller, an anonymous alleged employee of the administration*.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good. On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don’t feel like doing what they are told, they don’t...

But President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. Sure, we empathize with families making tough financial decisions, like mine, and just like private citizens who have to find other work and bring competitive value every day, while paying more than a third of their salary in federal taxes.

I believe every word of this came from an administration* official. The contempt for public service is pure modern Republicanism. The superiority complex about how families "like mine" are scrapping to make ends meet is pure modern conservatism. And the paranoia about weeding out saboteurs is pure Trumpian boob-bait. This is bullying dressed up as empathy.

I don't know where the people who work with Native Americans, and especially those who work in the various health clinics that service our indigenous peoples, rank on this person's sliding scale of essential employees. Maybe this person thinks the people who work those jobs are part of the 15 percent of federal employees worth their salaries. But, in any case, those particular employees are in deep trouble because of the shutdown. From the AP:

In New Mexico, a lone police officer patrolled a Native American reservation larger in size than Houston on a shift that normally has three people, responding to multiple car wrecks during a snow storm, emergency calls and requests for welfare checks. Elsewhere, federally funded road maintenance programs are operating with skeleton crews and struggling to keep roads clear on remote reservations. Tribal members said they can't get referrals for specialty care from the Indian Health Service if their conditions aren't life-threatening.

Native American tribes rely heavily on funding guaranteed by treaties with the U.S., acts of Congress and other agreements for public safety, social services, education and health care for their members. Because of the shutdown, tribal officials say some programs are on the brink of collapse and others are surviving with tribes filling funding gaps.

About 9,000 Indian Health Service employees, or 60 percent, are working without pay and 35 percent are working with funding streams not affected by the shutdown, according to the Health and Human Services department's shutdown plan. That includes staff providing direct care to patients. The agency delivers health care to about 2.2 million Native Americans and Alaska Natives.

The agency gets money from the Interior Department, whose budget is snared by the shutdown. For many tribal members, IHS is the only option for health care unless they want to pay out of pocket or have other insurance. Benefits under programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

And even more tragic is the effect in Montana on the search for dozens of Native women who have gone missing. The United States government is letting Native peoples down. That's truly hard to imagine.

There are definitely some government employees affected by this shutdown, perhaps many of those you mentioned, who have jobs that are important. However there is no doubt in any reasonable person’s mind that the federal government is fat, and by and large overpaid compared to the output of a private sector job. The reality is that it’s unavoidable. There is literally no way you can expect similar productivity in a competitive environment to the results in a government job. Waste and inefficiency flourish where there is no profit motive.
You think so? Why is it that for profit is by definition less wasteful and inefficient? I'm Belgian. My Healthcare system has very limited for profit motive. My state run health insurance company has a staff of about 10 people to serve my town, population 30000. If I go to a pharmacy I get my script filled immediately. I don't have to come back after a pharmacy tech calls the health insurance. I can let my doctor do a house call if I so desire. If I go to a hospital for a procedure a get 5 single sheets of papers to fill. Can you say the same in your for profit system? For profit has just one overriding incentive.... making profit. If being inefficient or wasteful generates that profit, wasteful and inefficient it will be.

I am not familiar with the Healthcare system in the tiny country of Belgium (US has seven states with more people than Belgium), and healthcare is a different animal than other industries. I will say this, I’d love to adopt a similar system to what Belgium employs, but that would require the federal government to cede control of a system for 330 million people to states who can manage their own system for smaller groups. Don’t pretend for a minute that the Belgium system or any other countries system with much smaller population can be extrapolated to be efficient and effective for 30 times as many people.
Japan population 126 million has universal healthcare comparable in costs to Belgium's. The highest life expectancy in the world. I don't dare to venture to make a definite guess about how efficient it is, but considering it's Japan, it probably is pretty efficient. It seems that the size of the country has no discernible effect on the result. So yes I dare to say I can extrapolate.
You are right though, in the sense that no American would willingly submit to our tax rate, no matter how good the end result is.

Many people are being severely hurt by this shutdown - and many may not recover. Even after the shutdown ends and government workers receive back pay - there will remain much damage to people's lives and the economy. Also, government contractors will reportedly never receive back pay. Many low income renters who depend on rent assistance from the government have reportedly been warned of eviction. The overall damage will be much greater than we currently know.
So, have you called Pelosi and Schumer's office to tell them to put an end to their plight?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Exactly how is Mexico going to pay the US government to build the wall? The trade deal? Congress has not approved it and neither Canada nor Mexico has given financially approval. Furthermore there are no payments to the US government in the deal. It's just another one of Trump's lies.

When Mexico starts sending money to build the wall, then we should start building it. Till then, Hello No.

So, have you called Pelosi and Schumer's office to tell them to put an end to their plight?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Exactly how are they going to pay the US government to build the wall? The trade deal? Congress has not approved it and neither Canada nor Mexico has given financially approval. Furthermore there is no payments in the deal to US government. It's just another one of Trump's lies.

When Mexico starts send money to build the wall, then we should start building it. Till then, Hello No.
Again, no one said that they would cut us a check. However, to stay on topic. The Congress, specifically the house, is responsible for funding ALL of the government. Including the necessary security at our southern border. That necessary security includes an addition to the physical barrier already in place. Barriers that the Democrats were more than willing to spend money on just a few years ago.

So, let's worry about exacting our ounce of flesh from Mexico when we have those 800k workers back to work, eh?

From the Daily Caller, an anonymous alleged employee of the administration*.

The lapse in appropriations is more than a battle over a wall. It is an opportunity to strip wasteful government agencies for good. On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don’t feel like doing what they are told, they don’t...

But President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. Sure, we empathize with families making tough financial decisions, like mine, and just like private citizens who have to find other work and bring competitive value every day, while paying more than a third of their salary in federal taxes.

I believe every word of this came from an administration* official. The contempt for public service is pure modern Republicanism. The superiority complex about how families "like mine" are scrapping to make ends meet is pure modern conservatism. And the paranoia about weeding out saboteurs is pure Trumpian boob-bait. This is bullying dressed up as empathy.

I don't know where the people who work with Native Americans, and especially those who work in the various health clinics that service our indigenous peoples, rank on this person's sliding scale of essential employees. Maybe this person thinks the people who work those jobs are part of the 15 percent of federal employees worth their salaries. But, in any case, those particular employees are in deep trouble because of the shutdown. From the AP:

In New Mexico, a lone police officer patrolled a Native American reservation larger in size than Houston on a shift that normally has three people, responding to multiple car wrecks during a snow storm, emergency calls and requests for welfare checks. Elsewhere, federally funded road maintenance programs are operating with skeleton crews and struggling to keep roads clear on remote reservations. Tribal members said they can't get referrals for specialty care from the Indian Health Service if their conditions aren't life-threatening.

Native American tribes rely heavily on funding guaranteed by treaties with the U.S., acts of Congress and other agreements for public safety, social services, education and health care for their members. Because of the shutdown, tribal officials say some programs are on the brink of collapse and others are surviving with tribes filling funding gaps.

About 9,000 Indian Health Service employees, or 60 percent, are working without pay and 35 percent are working with funding streams not affected by the shutdown, according to the Health and Human Services department's shutdown plan. That includes staff providing direct care to patients. The agency delivers health care to about 2.2 million Native Americans and Alaska Natives.

The agency gets money from the Interior Department, whose budget is snared by the shutdown. For many tribal members, IHS is the only option for health care unless they want to pay out of pocket or have other insurance. Benefits under programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are unaffected by the partial government shutdown.

And even more tragic is the effect in Montana on the search for dozens of Native women who have gone missing. The United States government is letting Native peoples down. That's truly hard to imagine.

There are definitely some government employees affected by this shutdown, perhaps many of those you mentioned, who have jobs that are important. However there is no doubt in any reasonable person’s mind that the federal government is fat, and by and large overpaid compared to the output of a private sector job. The reality is that it’s unavoidable. There is literally no way you can expect similar productivity in a competitive environment to the results in a government job. Waste and inefficiency flourish where there is no profit motive.
You think so? Why is it that for profit is by definition less wasteful and inefficient? I'm Belgian. My Healthcare system has very limited for profit motive. My state run health insurance company has a staff of about 10 people to serve my town, population 30000. If I go to a pharmacy I get my script filled immediately. I don't have to come back after a pharmacy tech calls the health insurance. I can let my doctor do a house call if I so desire. If I go to a hospital for a procedure a get 5 single sheets of papers to fill. Can you say the same in your for profit system? For profit has just one overriding incentive.... making profit. If being inefficient or wasteful generates that profit, wasteful and inefficient it will be.

I am not familiar with the Healthcare system in the tiny country of Belgium (US has seven states with more people than Belgium), and healthcare is a different animal than other industries. I will say this, I’d love to adopt a similar system to what Belgium employs, but that would require the federal government to cede control of a system for 330 million people to states who can manage their own system for smaller groups. Don’t pretend for a minute that the Belgium system or any other countries system with much smaller population can be extrapolated to be efficient and effective for 30 times as many people.
Japan population 126 million has universal healthcare comparable in costs to Belgium's. The highest life expectancy in the world. I don't dare to venture to make a definite guess about how efficient it is, but considering it's Japan, it probably is pretty efficient. It seems that the size of the country has no discernible effect on the result. So yes I dare to say I can extrapolate.
You are right though, in the sense that no American would willingly submit to our tax rate, no matter how good the end result is.

I’d take a shot at employing the Japanese system. First, Let’s consider their demographics, lifestyle and diet.

Diet- Japanese have one of the healthiest diets in the world, so to begin to get their success, all we have to do is change how 330 million people eat. It will cut down dramatically on
diet related health cost.

Demographics- Japan doesn’t make their race demographics public, but it’s safe to say they are 90 plus percent Asian. So now we need to divide 330 million people into demographic regions, diversity be damned.

Japan has 874 people per square mile. The US has 92 people per square mile. For efficiency we all need to move closer, like almost 10 times more people per square mile.

I think you get my point. Let the states deal with healthcare. If the system in your state sucks, you can move or help change it. It’s a lot easier to change direction in a row boat than a oil tanker. Let’s get 50 row boats...I mean healthcare systems.

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Exactly how are they going to pay the US government to build the wall? The trade deal? Congress has not approved it and neither Canada nor Mexico has given financially approval. Furthermore there is no payments in the deal to US government. It's just another one of Trump's lies.

When Mexico starts send money to build the wall, then we should start building it. Till then, Hello No.
Again, no one said that they would cut us a check. However, to stay on topic. The Congress, specifically the house, is responsible for funding ALL of the government. Including the necessary security at our southern border. That necessary security includes an addition to the physical barrier already in place. Barriers that the Democrats were more than willing to spend money on just a few years ago.

So, let's worry about exacting our ounce of flesh from Mexico when we have those 800k workers back to work, eh?

Trump said Mexico would write a check for the wall. Why do you keep lying about that?

Trump said Mexico would write a check for the wall. Why do you keep lying about that?

Because he didn't. Why do you keep lying about that? Is English your second language or something?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

The democrats supported a bill to build reinforce fences, repair exist fences and walls, hire thousands of boarder patrol, and purchase new technology in 2006. At that time, arrests at the border were running 81,000/mo. Today they are half that. In 2006, the size of the undocumented immigrant population was rising. Today it's falling and has been for a number of years.

The democrats supported a bill to build reinforce fences, repair exist fences and walls, hire thousands of boarder patrol, and purchase new technology in 2006. At that time, arrests at the border were running 81,000/mo. Today they are half that. In 2006, the size of the undocumented immigrant population was rising. Today it's falling and has been for a number of years.
Good, then another 5.8 billion for additional barrier construction won't matter all that much, will it?

Because he didn't. Why do you keep lying about that? Is English your second language or something?

Snopes and many other smart people say he did. Stop lying.

Forum List

Back