Offending Arizona

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
These cyber bullying are getting way out of hand.

Arizona just passed a law that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. I fully intend this post to offend anyone in Arizona who voted for this law, and will be happy to repeat it, and intend to insult the governor id she signs it.

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Crime to Use “Any Electronic or Digital Device” “And Use Any Obscene, Lewd or Profane Language” “With Intent to … Offend”?

The sad part is that Arizona is not the only state with similar laws. Feel free to post any state you know of with similar laws so I can add them to my intend to offend list, which currently includes Tennessee, Alabama, and Connecticut.

Anyone want to join me?

Anyone read the actual law? It amends a standing stalker law covering telephone harassment to include All electronic devices. Not exactly stomping on the constitution.

Anyone read the actual law? It amends a standing stalker law covering telephone harassment to include All electronic devices. Not exactly stomping on the constitution.

Making it illegal to offend someone clearly is constitutional, no matter what technology is used.

Read up before flipping out, the part they left out of the OP, the part covering intent, makes it constitutional and not anything to fear unless you like webstalking/text bombing people in AZ.

============

A. It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person. It is also unlawful to otherwise disturb by repeated anonymous telephone calls ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS the peace, quiet or right of privacy of any person at the place where the telephone call or calls COMMUNICATIONS were received.

Format Document

Did you notice the part where I posted the actual law? Did you notice that the blog I linked to was written by a lawyer who actually understands constitutional law well enough to submit briefs to the Supreme Court, something Obama never managed to do?

Are you aware that, under that law, I could have you arrested for being intentionally and offensively stupid?

Read up before flipping out, the part they left out of the OP, the part covering intent, makes it constitutional and not anything to fear unless you like webstalking/text bombing people in AZ.

============

A. It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person. It is also unlawful to otherwise disturb by repeated anonymous telephone calls ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS the peace, quiet or right of privacy of any person at the place where the telephone call or calls COMMUNICATIONS were received.

Format Document

Which part did I leave out of the OP?

Nice to see you defending Republicans though.

Last edited:
If you offend Arizona...well ... you are offending the Grand Canyon.

Who is volunteering to do that?

Arizona just passed a law that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. I fully intend this post to offend anyone in Arizona who voted for this law, and will be happy to repeat it, and intend to insult the governor id she signs it.

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Crime to Use “Any Electronic or Digital Device” “And Use Any Obscene, Lewd or Profane Language” “With Intent to … Offend”?

The sad part is that Arizona is not the only state with similar laws. Feel free to post any state you know of with similar laws so I can add them to my intend to offend list, which currently includes Tennessee, Alabama, and Connecticut.

Anyone want to join me?
Can you link the Alabama law? I'm offended if it's anything like AZ's

…ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE…

Obviously poorly conceived and worded, assuming the intent was to also include smart phones and the like, the bill’s authors unaware this could include computers as well.

Perhaps as offensive, is lawmakers being so sloppy in drafting legislation.

…ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE…

Obviously poorly conceived and worded, assuming the intent was to also include smart phones and the like, the bill’s authors unaware this could include computers as well.

Perhaps as offensive, is lawmakers being so sloppy in drafting legislation.

I don't think it was poorly worded at all. I think their intent was to include computers. Wasn't there recently a case of someone commiting suicide over facebook bullying?

Anyone want to join me?

Would I make a post without being able to prove I know what I am saying?

The answer to that is yes, but don't tell anyone.

A person commits the crime of electronic harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm any person, he or she transmits, posts, displays, or disseminates, by or through an electronic communication device, radio, computer, Internet, or other similar means, to any person, a communication, image, or information, which is based on the actual or perceived traits or characteristics of that person, which creates any of the following conditions:

Alabama Proposes Anti-Meanie Law

Anyone want to join me?

Would I make a post without being able to prove I know what I am saying?

The answer to that is yes, but don't tell anyone.

A person commits the crime of electronic harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm any person, he or she transmits, posts, displays, or disseminates, by or through an electronic communication device, radio, computer, Internet, or other similar means, to any person, a communication, image, or information, which is based on the actual or perceived traits or characteristics of that person, which creates any of the following conditions:

Alabama Proposes Anti-Meanie Law

I had no doubt you could. That's why I asked. Thank you for the information.

Making it illegal to offend someone clearly is constitutional, no matter what technology is used.

Tell that to these (mostly) Red States that are passing these laws.....

Wait a minute...I thought it was the President and those evil Dems that wanted to control everything that you do everywhere. :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back