Help! Animal Protection Laws Are Under Attack

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Defend Animals Call-in Day is coming up on Wednesday, February 7, and thousands of advocates across the country will be picking up their phones to take action for animals. Be part of the movement! Join this national day of action to help defeat two disastrous federal bills that threaten to erase hundreds of animal protection laws, infringe on states’ rights, and ignore the will of voters.

Keep reading to see how you can help!

Two Dangerous Bills

The Ending Agricultural Trade Suppression (EATS) Act and the Protecting Interstate Commerce for Livestock Producers Act both claim to protect agricultural trade, but their real goals are to undo state laws and regulations shielding animals from the most extreme forms of cruelty. Both bills could roll back critical protections for animals—like existing state-level bans on gestation crates for pigs, battery cages for egg-laying hens, and veal crates for calves. Good laws that protect consumers, farm workers and farmers, safeguard the environment, and prevent puppy mill cruelty are also at risk.

Call Your U.S. Representative

First, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask the operator to transfer you to your House representative’s office. Then, whether you reach a person or an answering machine, simply say:

“Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I’m a constituent living in [YOUR CITY]. I care deeply about animal welfare, and I’m calling to urge my representative to OPPOSE the Ending Agricultural Trade Suppression Act, H.R. 4417, and the Protecting Interstate Commerce for Livestock Producers Act, S. 3382. I ask that my representative also ensure that these bills and any similar provisions are NOT included in the Farm Bill. Thank you."

Call Your Two U.S. Senators

This action involves two more quick calls to the Capitol Switchboard, (202) 224-3121. Ask the operator who your two federal senators are and have them connect you to one of their offices. Once you leave your message with the first senator’s office, call the Capitol Switchboard again, and ask to be connected to your second senator’s office. Each time, whether you reach a person or an answering machine, say:

“Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I’m a constituent living in [YOUR CITY]. I care deeply about animal welfare, and I’m calling to urge my senator to OPPOSE the Ending Agricultural Trade Suppression Act, S. 2019, and the Protecting Interstate Commerce for Livestock Producers Act, S. 3382. I ask that my senator also ensure that these bills and any similar provisions are NOT included in the Farm Bill. Thank you."

Forum List

Back