Of those who served in the military, what was your favorite country visited?

Nothing but Squids.

Don't we have any Airdales around here?

We are the real Navy, Cracker. Not you brown shoes. LOL!

Hey - I served on a carrier - does that count? My office, er workspace was way the hell up forward right below the catapult. Damned thing ran right through the workspace in the overhead. Woops, I mean ceiling. Forgot you're an airdale.

All you had to do back in those days in Ft. Liquordale was start walking in your dress whites. Within 5 minutes, you were picked up and brought to a bar for free drinks and lunch. That was in the mid-80s - the people of that town absolutely loved the Navy back then. Hopefully it's still the same.

That was when I was there :D
I don't remember spending any money myself.......but, then again, I don't remember much.

I do remember The Donut Shop, tho...
:eusa_whistle:

Who remembers the Candy Store Bar...wow what a party.

Doll House, anyone??
:eusa_drool:

Nothing but Squids.

Don't we have any Airdales around here?

We are the real Navy, Cracker. Not you brown shoes. LOL!

Hey - I served on a carrier - does that count? My office, er workspace was way the hell up forward right below the catapult. Damned thing ran right through the workspace in the overhead. Woops, I mean ceiling. Forgot you're an airdale.

Bootcamp, Millington, TN, December, 1969. We're in formation in front of the barracks freezing our asses off at like four in the morning (that's 0400 for you squids). The company commander ( a Boatswains Mate first class) gets in one of the recruits face and says "do you love the Navy?" The kids answers "sir, yes sir." The compnay commander then says "then why didn't you join it?"

during my one and only Med cruise, I visited many countries. My favorite? Israel. They were the most friendly of all of them. Of course this was in 1978.

The worst was France.

Here's my list:

1. Israel - friendliest, fascinating history
2. Egypt - most fascinating history
3. Italy - not very friendly but a fun place
4. Spain - Barcelona meh, Majorca nice.
5. Greese - pretty scenery, not nice people
6. France - downright mean people

Ever get smashed sandwiches in France?

Yes, didn't really like the wine though, German wine was better. So was the beer.

Actually, some of the best wine in the Med is over in Sicily. Used to stop regularly in Augusta Bay Sicily and Catania Sicily and they had this really red wine that looked like red ink.

People on the boat were ordering cases of it when we came back.

Liked Catania myself.

during my one and only Med cruise, I visited many countries. My favorite? Israel. They were the most friendly of all of them. Of course this was in 1978.

The worst was France.

Here's my list:

I was on a Westpac in 78.
Remember all the dope smoking onboard in those days? Shit, it was everywhere.

The worst was France.

Here's my list:

Hell first place I bought Hash was in Naples 1980. Never saw a piss test until late 82, I think

Hell first place I bought Hash was in Naples 1980. Never saw a piss test until late 82, I think

Who sold it to you? Humpty Dumpty?

82's about right...

I remember standing on the bridge wing one day, we were in port - I am smoking a joint. This would have been 79. Around the corner comes the first class SM who's the ship's MAA. I flipped the thing over the side, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do.

Hell - the Zero's would smoke in the Weirdroom on their duty nights!

Who sold it to you? Humpty Dumpty?

82's about right...

I remember standing on the bridge wing one day, we were in port - I am smoking a joint. This would have been 79. Around the corner comes the first class SM who's the ship's MAA. I flipped the thing over the side, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do.

Hell - the Zero's would smoke in the Weirdroom on their duty nights!

Dont know who sold it to me, I got it in the gut. Remeber lighting after shave in the top of the shoe polish tin to cover the smell and blowing the smoke into a towel. Also making little hash pipes from the black government pens.:eusa_shhh:

Anyone else remember seeing "Reefer Madness" as an anti-drug training film?

My favorite "foreign country" that I visited while in the Navy was San Francisco in 1971, where I was stationed.
A lot of the people then, especially the young women, thought of US military personnel as members of an occupation force. Many of the young male Navy personnel wore wigs to conceal their short haircuts in the hope that they would not be stigmatized by the civilian population. :rolleyes:

The worst was France.

Here's my list:

You're telling me! In Alexandria, Egypt I traded a box of Marlboros for a block of hashish almost the same size as the box.

I was on a med criuse with NATO forces, which was why we went to many of the places that cruises didn't normally go, like Egypt, Israel, Palma deMajorca, and Venice.

I was on the USS Blaklely FF-1072 leading the carrier USS John F. Kennedy. What an enormous ship that carrier was.

Last edited:

The worst was France.

Here's my list:

The first and only urine test I had was in late 1979 when we were in dry dock in Boston. Funny story associated with it.

When they surprised us with it I wasn't worried because I knew I'd been drug-free for a while, not for lack of trying though. Then about a month later I get called to Sick Bay. When I arrive there is the Master at Arms, another officer and the 1st Class Corpsman standing there waiting for me. They told me that my urine had tested positive for "codine/morphine". I was shocked, and I told them so. They told me that if I confessed that I had a drug problem to the "Drug Exempt Officer" who was the other officer there, I would go to counsselling and not be dishonorably discharges or busted down. They let me go to think about it. After a while i went back to the corpsman who was a buddy, and told him how confuced i was and that I'd done no drugs at all. He asked me if I'd gotten any perscriptions lately. I told him I got Tylenol when I had my wsdom teeth removed. Turns out it was Tylenol III which has codine. The mess was cleared up and I was on my merry way.

Forum List

Back