October Non-Surprise: Unemployment at 10%, Gallup!

The new Congress won't be able to do anything until January, but you geniuses already know that, right?

There is no budget. We'll see what happens on the 2nd, which candidates in the Senate win those seats that will immediately change. Then we'll see what occurs in Congress before they leave for the holidays. Will they pass a budget? If so, what does it look like?

Come the end of January, will the new Congress be as drastically changed as many hope? Will it actually be more like it is now? If changed, will the president go Clinton and work with Congress or will he stay true to form and double down? If the later, will the new Congress stop the spending? Will there be some predictability regarding taxes and cost of business regarding employee benefits? If so, things should begin stabilizing. If not, things go from worse to worst.

"Stop the spending" meaning what, Annie?

Have you met an Obama proposal that wouldn't cost more? So definitely means stopping more spending. I don't hold out much hope for repealing anything already done, others do. I do think there are many areas begging for cuts, starting with entitlements. I don't expect that to happen with this president though.

So you think the economy will recover if the poor lose enough benefits?

The new Congress won't be able to do anything until January, but you geniuses already know that, right?

There is no budget. We'll see what happens on the 2nd, which candidates in the Senate win those seats that will immediately change. Then we'll see what occurs in Congress before they leave for the holidays. Will they pass a budget? If so, what does it look like?

Come the end of January, will the new Congress be as drastically changed as many hope? Will it actually be more like it is now? If changed, will the president go Clinton and work with Congress or will he stay true to form and double down? If the later, will the new Congress stop the spending? Will there be some predictability regarding taxes and cost of business regarding employee benefits? If so, things should begin stabilizing. If not, things go from worse to worst.

Likely scenario. The Congress will change and if his bahaviour is any indicator? Obama will not triangulate as Clinton did. Congress will then have to start looking at defunding/cutting government. I think that's the mandate coming from the people.

First thing is first though. The Congress is going to have to get out of the way of investors/employers to get the jobless rate down...get people back to work.

So IYO, the key to economic recovery is deregulation?

Hell, just name even one Tea Party-backed candidate with specific plans to correct the US economy. Platitudes do not constitute plans.

Really? Folks who voted for Barry sure thought they did.

Obama's campaign contained many specific promises. The trouble with him is, he failed to keep far too many.

No... specific platitudes... he did NOT give the details you indeed are asking for from others

Likely scenario. The Congress will change and if his bahaviour is any indicator? Obama will not triangulate as Clinton did. Congress will then have to start looking at defunding/cutting government. I think that's the mandate coming from the people.

First thing is first though. The Congress is going to have to get out of the way of investors/employers to get the jobless rate down...get people back to work.

You make it obvious that you don't run your own business.

Really? Folks who voted for Barry sure thought they did.

Obama's campaign contained many specific promises. The trouble with him is, he failed to keep far too many.

No... specific platitudes... he did NOT give the details you indeed are asking for from others

Sorry, DiamondDave, that's a nonstarter. Here's a link to Obama's campaign promise so you can look-see for yourself.

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Policy Issues

Now, if you know of an economic recovery plan being touted by any Tea Party candidate, may we hear it? A-n-y p-l-a-n; because as I said, to me it sounds as if all of them are running on the "I hate Muslims" bullshit machine.

I see; only business owners are supposed to ask about economic recovery? Well, I am retired but when I do work, it is for myself, Vel. It has been that way for years.

Care to try a different card, since the elitist one did not work?

Wow I had no idea unemployment was at 10% :rolleyes:

Well, it depends on how you measure it. Gallup and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (the official rate) use the same definitions, but different methodology and get different results.

Gallup surveys just over 18,000 people every month (a few hundred every night) but limit it to people 18 years old up who have telephones. They do random digit dialing and may or may not cover the whole country well (I'm sure they try, but random dialing can give a statistical bias). Gallup cannot adjust based on recurring sesonal trends.

BLS surveys 60,000 households (approx 130,000 people) age 15 and older (only publishing 16+) with face to face interviews (telephone option available) but only for one week of each month (for October it'll be last week, the 10th - 16th). The households are systematically chosen to represent the entire country. BLS seasonally adjusts for recurring trends (but also publishes unadjusted numbers).

So Gallup has the Unemployment rate at around 10%, BLS's not seasonally adjusted rate is 9.2%, and seasonally adjusted is 9.6%. Not sure what the November release (for Octover's rate) will be, but looking at the Gallup survey, there will probably be an increase.

Because of the larger sample size, and bigger age range, and not limiting to telephone owners, BLS is probably the more accurate number, though the Gallup number is good for anticipating trends.

Hell, just name even one Tea Party-backed candidate with specific plans to correct the US economy. platitudes do not constitute plans.

Please forward this to 1600 Pennsylvannia Avenue ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
9.2%, 9.6% or 10%, it is all a bad situation made worse by poor planning, timing and implementation by this adminstration. Perhaps we should repeal the tax break for the rich, but offer a nice credit for them if they create a job? Seems like most of the "created" government jobs run as about $62,000 for a job that pays much less than that. A $20,000 tax credit could save a lot.

I see; only business owners are supposed to ask about economic recovery? Well, I am retired but when I do work, it is for myself, Vel. It has been that way for years.

Care to try a different card, since the elitist one did not work?

If you truly have worked for yourself them you would understand that business owners need stability in order to grow their business. And where did I say that only business owners were able to ASK about economic recovery? Why don't you quit trying to change the meaning of what others post by projecting your limited understanding as their meaning?

9.2%, 9.6% or 10%, it is all a bad situation made worse by poor planning, timing and implementation by this adminstration. Perhaps we should repeal the tax break for the rich, but offer a nice credit for them if they create a job? Seems like most of the "created" government jobs run as about $62,000 for a job that pays much less than that. A $20,000 tax credit could save a lot.

It won't work if government is still standing on your neck and making demands about health care coverage and other work related issues and on the brink of raising your taxes through the roof.

On the contrary. A new change in Congress will have tenative steps of improvement on the Stock Market and Business.

Obama is not Clinton. Clinton was a slimy pragmatist. Obama is a radical. Obama won't mediate. His own narcisism will not permit it.

He, like liberals on this forum, will double down, and try harder to shove his own despotic view of America, and be stopped by conservatives at every turn.

If the GOP tries the middle way of compromising with Obama, then I predict a new party for 2012, which will replace a party that simply could not grasp it's 2010 and not the 1960s.

Forum List

Back