OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

No, i agree... no one has the right to tell anyone what they talk about in their homes.

However as a neighbor......I have the right to complain about the nuisance what you are doing in terms of impacting the streets and neighborhood. Also if there is a stranding ordinance for a permit of regular meetings ....they pay up and shut up.

The problem is the permit actually only applies to some people, not everyone.

yeah... it does not apply to people having regular meetings of 3 or more people.

It only applies to people having religious, fraternal, or non profit meetings. If you have a book club meeting every week with 100 guests it does not need a permit. That makes the permit unconstitutional.

The problem is the permit actually only applies to some people, not everyone.

yeah... it does not apply to people having regular meetings of 3 or more people.

It only applies to people having religious, fraternal, or non profit meetings. If you have a book club meeting every week with 100 guests it does not need a permit. That makes the permit unconstitutional.
There are other laws on the books that apply to operating a business in a neighborhood as well.

:eusa_hand:

You are so unbelievably dense sometimes.

A neighborhood is a neighborhood it is not a public gathering space and has different rules and regulations.

After giving some thought to this, I think the city ordinance should not specifiy "three or more" people meeting on a regular basis as constituting a "church" that can be regulated. That is unduly restrictive and in my opinion violates the spirit and intent of the First Amendment.

And I imagine we all tolerate the occasional party or other gathering in our neighborhoods - even our neighbors quadraphonic speakers in the backyard across the street from our house - when it is only a very occasional thing. Our special occasion family dinners can easily pull forty people and require a lot of on street parking. The neighbors don't mind.

But thirty to fifty people meeting in a private home on a regular twice a week basis for ANY reason, however, is a different matter and I can see that as a huge imposition on neighbors who then have no place for their guests to park during that time, week in and week out. And unless the neighbors are happy with that, I don't think it is Christian to expect them to put up with it.

Like most bridge and poker clubs, better to move the group around from house to house of all the participants so it is only an occasional thing at any one house.

No one is telling them what they can or cant worship....or what religion they can and cannot practice... hell worship this for all i care.... church of the oil drip lamp.

oildrip.jpg

What they ARE saying.... if you have 3 or more people on a regular basis for an organized meeting ..... get a permit.

What they are saying IS;

{City officials in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. say Chuck and Stephanie Fromm are in violation of municipal code 9-3.301, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a permit}

This is a flagrant and direct violation of the 1st amendment of the United States Constitution.

So where is the ACLU?

This is pretty horrible. I was just looking through their table of restrictions and can you believe they don't allow recycling facilities in neighborhoods??? No swimming schools or tennis schools in neighborhoods??? No Klan meetings without a permit in neighborhoods??? No mobile home parks???

The horror!

No one is telling them what they can or cant worship....or what religion they can and cannot practice... hell worship this for all i care.... church of the oil drip lamp.

oildrip.jpg

What they ARE saying.... if you have 3 or more people on a regular basis for an organized meeting ..... get a permit.

What they are saying IS;

{City officials in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. say Chuck and Stephanie Fromm are in violation of municipal code 9-3.301, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a permit}

This is a flagrant and direct violation of the 1st amendment of the United States Constitution.

So where is the ACLU?

Right.

Read.

Where am i missing the point of they cant exercise their firs amendment rights?

Get a permit
or move your meetings OUT of the residential area.

The Fromms’ citations say they violated section 9-3.301 of the Capistrano Municipal Code, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a conditional-use permit. The footnote on the section says it “Includes churches, temples, synagogues, monasteries, religious retreats, and other places of religious worship and other fraternal and community service organizations.”

Capistrano’s code-enforcement department is reactive, meaning officers only respond to complaints. Stephanie Fromm said most residents in the neighborhood, off Rancho Viejo Road north of Junipero Serra Road, are supportive of them, although at least one neighbor has voiced concerns.

“We don’t like lawsuits, but we have to stand up for what’s right. It’s not just a personal issue,” Stephanie Fromm said. “Can you imagine anybody in any neighborhood, that one person can call and make it a living hell for someone else? That’s wrong … and it’s just sad.”

The Capistrano Dispatch - Capistrano Couple in Legal Battle for Hosting Bible Study in Home

I was right, entitlement junkies. She cares about her rights but not her neighbor's rights. You choose to live in a community, then act like your better than everyone else.

I bet even Jesus would tell her to stfu.

:thup:

Wow. Thats what she is doing to her neighbor. Hypocrite.

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to PJI.

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

--

Neighbors have written letters to the city in support of the Fromms, whom they said have not caused any disturbances with the meetings, according to PJI.

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.​

Selective enforcement, perhaps?

I can not imagine that the same would be happened to Muslims who wanted to study their Quran. Leftists are getting more and more audacious, the war against Christians is ongoing.

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) — An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The Fromms also reportedly face subsequent fines of $500 per meeting for any further “religious gatherings” in their home, according to PJI.

“We’re just gathering and enjoying each other’s company and fellowship. And we enjoy studying God’s word.” Stephanie Fromm told CBS2.

--

Neighbors have written letters to the city in support of the Fromms, whom they said have not caused any disturbances with the meetings, according to PJI.

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.​

Selective enforcement, perhaps?

I can not imagine that the same would be happened to Muslims who wanted to study their Quran. Leftists are getting more and more audacious, the war against Christians is ongoing.

Does the code...say christians... or religious (anything)?

There are other laws on the books that apply to operating a business in a neighborhood as well.

A neighborhood is a neighborhood it is not a public gathering space and has different rules and regulations.

Book clubs are not businesses. Want to try again?

I said other, dummy.

A book club that disrupts the peace and quite and traffic patterns of the neighbors is something that the neighbors have every right not to allow. Or to allow. It's really the choice of the entire neighborhood, not this one woman.

I said other, dummy.

A book club that disrupts the peace and quite and traffic patterns of the neighbors is something that the neighbors have every right not to allow. Or to allow. It's really the choice of the entire neighborhood, not this one woman.

If the book club gets noisy they can complain about the noise. If they block the traffic the police can make them move the cars. If they park illegally the cars can be towed. All legal solutions to the problems you site.

Tell me something, how will a permit solve any of the problems you keep talking about?

I said other, dummy.

If the book club gets noisy they can complain about the noise. If they block the traffic the police can make them move the cars. If they park illegally the cars can be towed. All legal solutions to the problems you site.

Tell me something, how will a permit solve any of the problems you keep talking about?
Because the permit hinges on getting the approval of the neighbors.

Busy streets are disturbing in quiet neighborhoods even if all other factors are solved.

I said other, dummy.

Busy streets are disturbing in quiet neighborhoods even if all other factors are solved.

The neighbors are the one who ratted them out. ANONYMOUSLY. Of course! LOL :lol:

I said other, dummy.

Bingo

I said other, dummy.

You keep making things up. First you argued that it was traffic and parking issues, which made no sense at all because nobody in a car got a ticket. Then you argued that it was an illegal business, even though no one is making money, now you are saying they need their neighbors permission to get a permit.

Lets get wildly hypothetical here and say that everyone that goes to these Bible studies parks at a near by parking lot and walks to the house. they do this in small groups, and are very quiet and inconspicuous. They do this because they actually care about the neighborhood, and do not want to upset the neighbors. That eliminates the parking and traffic problems entirely, but they, under the unconstitutional law, need a permit. Explain to me why, if they do everything I outlined above, they need a permit, or anyone's permission to do anything.

Forum List

Back