Obama's Same Old, Same Old

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Obama's Same Old, Same Old | RealClearPolitics

Perhaps the reason for President Obama's flat and energy-less speech Thursday night -- TV cameras panning the convention floor actually showed delegates falling asleep -- was that he already knew Friday's jobs numbers were going to be a disaster. The August unemployment report completely punctured his argument that if you just give him four more years, his policies will solve the economy.

Of course, reading through the speech, I didn't see the word "jobs" mentioned once. In fact, though I could be wrong, I didn't see the word "growth" mentioned once.

What I did see were constant references to government. Obama has taken to calling it "citizenship." But it's the same old, same old. Whether it's more money for the teachers unions, or more Solyndra-like green energy, or more for infrastructure, it translates to more government spending and dependency in a second Obama term, all to somehow be financed with tax hikes on the rich.

Unfortunately, as former President Clinton mentioned in his convention speech, the arithmetic doesn't add up.

We should note that Bill Clinton supports Obama because Obama getting re-elected puts Hillary in an open race come 2016. If Romney wins, she likely has no chance in 2016 and won't run 8 years from now.

Larry tells it like it is.

But many still think the Obama Money tree continues to pump out the free cash.

Obama's Same Old, Same Old | RealClearPolitics

Perhaps the reason for President Obama's flat and energy-less speech Thursday night -- TV cameras panning the convention floor actually showed delegates falling asleep -- was that he already knew Friday's jobs numbers were going to be a disaster. The August unemployment report completely punctured his argument that if you just give him four more years, his policies will solve the economy.

Of course, reading through the speech, I didn't see the word "jobs" mentioned once. In fact, though I could be wrong, I didn't see the word "growth" mentioned once.

What I did see were constant references to government. Obama has taken to calling it "citizenship." But it's the same old, same old. Whether it's more money for the teachers unions, or more Solyndra-like green energy, or more for infrastructure, it translates to more government spending and dependency in a second Obama term, all to somehow be financed with tax hikes on the rich.

Unfortunately, as former President Clinton mentioned in his convention speech, the arithmetic doesn't add up.

We should note that Bill Clinton supports Obama because Obama getting re-elected puts Hillary in an open race come 2016. If Romney wins, she likely has no chance in 2016 and won't run 8 years from now.

Larry tells it like it is.

But many still think the Obama Money tree continues to pump out the free cash.

Bumpsky

A bump for Larry Kudlow and his analysis of why Obama's speech was a bust to anyone hoping to see a reasonable path forward to the economic ills of this country.

I wonder if this country has any clue that the only way things get done around here is to elect Romney.

The truth is that the GOP holds the house and will continue to do so.

Electing Obama is like electing the Tea Party...it pretty much ensures nothing will get done.

Last edited:
The question of whether the Prez's speech was really a flop is largely subjective. As far as the jobs report goes, I'll take this guy's analysis over Kudlow's any day:

Friday’s jobs report was a weak one — with August’s job growth more in line with the tepid growth of the spring than the stronger numbers in July or over the winter months.

Furthermore, job-growth numbers for May and June were revised downward slightly, and manufacturing jobs — a measure that Democrats touted at various points during their convention this week in Charlotte, N.C. — fell by 15,000.

Politically, however, it is less certain that the report is going to matter that much. The unemployment rate declined for superficial reasons, which makes for a gentler headline for President Obama.

Perhaps more important, the report did not change the basic story of an economy that is experiencing subpar growth but is in recovery rather than recession.

Effect of Jobs Numbers on Presidential Race Is Uncertain - NYTimes.com

The question of whether the Prez's speech was really a flop is largely subjective. As far as the jobs report goes, I'll take this guy's analysis over Kudlow's any day:

Friday’s jobs report was a weak one — with August’s job growth more in line with the tepid growth of the spring than the stronger numbers in July or over the winter months.

Furthermore, job-growth numbers for May and June were revised downward slightly, and manufacturing jobs — a measure that Democrats touted at various points during their convention this week in Charlotte, N.C. — fell by 15,000.

Politically, however, it is less certain that the report is going to matter that much. The unemployment rate declined for superficial reasons, which makes for a gentler headline for President Obama.

Perhaps more important, the report did not change the basic story of an economy that is experiencing subpar growth but is in recovery rather than recession.

Effect of Jobs Numbers on Presidential Race Is Uncertain - NYTimes.com

Here is Robert Reich showing exasperation at Obama......

President Obama's speech to the Democratic National Convention was long on uplifting rhetoric but short on specifics for what he'll do if reelected to reignite the American economy.

Yet today's jobs report provides a troubling reminder that the economy is still in bad shape. Employers added only 96,000 nonfarm jobs in August. True, the unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent from July's 8.3 percent, but the size of the workforce continued to drop, according to a Labor Department report Friday.

Unfortunately for the President -- and the rest of us -- jobs gains have averaged only 94,000 over the last three months. That's down from an average of 95,000 in the second quarter. And well below the average gain of 225,000 in the first quarter of the year. And compared to last year, the trend is still in the wrong direction: a monthly average gain of 139,000 this year compared to last year's average monthly gain of 153,000.

Look, I desperately want Obama to win. But the one thing his speech last night lacked was the one thing that was the most important for him to offer -- a plan for how to get the economy out of the doldrums.

Robert Reich: The Jobs Report and the Election

Of course, you'll take it over Kudlows....it sucks up to Obama and tries to twist away from the fact he is an abject failure.

Read Reich's entire article: At the end he says things are "slowing down".

Yes, we need four more years of that !

Forum List

Back