Obama's reasoning........

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
.........sounds awfully similar to Bush's reasoning for invading Iraq.

BRASILIA, Brazil – President Barack Obama authorized limited military action against Libya Saturday, saying Moammar Gadhafi's continued assault on his own people left the U.S. and its international partners with no other choice. The Pentagon said 112 cruise missiles were launched from US and UK ships and subs, hitting 20 targets.

Obama said military action was not his first choice.

"This is not an outcome the U.S. or any of our partners sought," Obama said from Brazil, where he is starting a five-day visit to Latin America. "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy."

Obama: US launches military action against Libya - Yahoo! News

Can someone tell me where the Constitution allows such an offensive first strike?

So where are those BOOOOOOOOOOOSH haters today? I haven't seen a single denouncement of this action by anyone who claims to support Obama?

Under the War Powers act, the POTUS has power, as CinC, to launch military forces pretty much at his discretion. He is the commander in chief of all armed forces. However, he has 90 days to get Congressional approval, after he does.

Under the War Powers act, the POTUS has power, as CinC, to launch military forces pretty much at his discretion. He is the commander in chief of all armed forces. However, he has 90 days to get Congressional approval, after he does.

Fair enough. But, IF Obama is truly concerned about any and all peoples being harmed by their countrys' leaders, wouldn't we be firing cruise missiles at Mexico, Africa, Saudi Arabia, and any other country that treats their people unjustly?

Heh. Obama duping the Lefties in the 2008 campaign:

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

A Clarification - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Fair enough. But, IF Obama is truly concerned about any and all peoples being harmed by their countrys' leaders, wouldn't we be firing cruise missiles at Mexico, Africa, Saudi Arabia, and any other country that treats their people unjustly?
That's a philosophical question.

There were quite a few of us saying exactly the same thing, when Bubba was rattling the saber in '98 and before Shrubbie started the shooting in '02.

Meet the new boss....

He has a funny way of showing concern:

Barack Obama has now been responsible for firing more cruise missiles than all other Nobel Peace prize winners combined.

He’s still in 2nd place for number of Arab deaths caused (and 3rd place for Muslim deaths) behind Yassir Arafat and Mikhail Gorbachev.

The PJ Tatler » Some Obama Milestones

ChangeMeter.gif

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

Unilateral? This is a World Effort. I know what you mean, though. (unilateral internally).

IMHO, noone here knows and ever will what Presidents know, in regards to their debriefings on things like these, secret meetings, strategies on the table, etc etc

I was un-wise under Bush. I supported the War right after 9/11 and was really hot-headed over the whole thing. After a few years, I grew tired of the wishy-washy "what exactly ARe we doing? Goals? Plans? etc." and started leaning towards the anti-Iraq crew.

Today, being a bit more but not totally level headed.........I think it's futile to opine when really, we, collectively as a board, don't know probably 1/2 the story. That's ignorant, although hard to avoid opining heh?

Unilateral? This is a World Effort. I know what you mean, though. (unilateral internally).

IMHO, noone here knows and ever will what Presidents know, in regards to their debriefings on things like these, secret meetings, strategies on the table, etc etc
I'm pretty sure that's more than opinion, I'd call it fact.

I was more-so touching on everyone's opinions over the effort aside from the Constitution. (alot of criticism on his timing / criticism if we even *should* be involved, etc). <--those things, IMO, are opined about without a full story and to me, it's futile. Same as I've come to know that it was under Bush. Same as it will be for the next guy.

Hopefully the checks and balances work in these cases, where those with Security Clearances of a high magnitude act as overseers of their peers. One can hope.

I was more-so touching on everyone's opinions over the effort aside from the Constitution. (alot of criticism on his timing / criticism if we even *should* be involved, etc). <--those things, IMO, are opined about without a full story and to me, it's futile. Same as I've come to know that it was under Bush. Same as it will be for the next guy.

Hopefully the checks and balances work in these cases, where those with Security Clearances of a high magnitude act as overseers of their peers. One can hope.

So, are you opining that Libya MIGHT have been a serious threat to the United States?

So, are you opining that Libya MIGHT have been a serious threat to the United States?

No. I'm opining that we can debate back and forth whether this strategy was in one form or another based on classified intel pertinent to our long-term security.....but we'll likely never know and so these discussions are like talking about who's going to win the World Series without knowing who's pitching. It's a debate based on incomplete information. I don't think there's anything that can come of it, other than petting everyone's o.c.d. to have a daily argument I suppose.

I don't think he was. I think he was saying we don't know what Obama knows, and likely never will.

And he's right.

I don't think he was. I think he was saying we don't know what Obama knows, and likely never will.

And he's right.

I don't spread rep enough to be able to rep you again so soon. Doo-doo.

Forum List

Back