Obama’s leadership failure

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
Robert J. Samuelson WaPo op-ed:

The “fiscal cliff” is a massive failure of presidential leadership. The tedious and technical negotiations are but a subplot in a larger drama. Government can no longer fulfill all the promises it has made to various constituencies. Some promises will be reduced or disavowed. Which ones? Why? Only the president can pose these questions in a way that starts a national conversation over the choices to be made, but doing so requires the president to tell people things they don’t want to hear. That’s his job: to help Americans face unavoidable, if unpleasant, realities. Barack Obama has refused to play this role.

Instead, he has cast the long-term budget problem as a question of whether the richest 1 percent or 2 percent of the population should pay more in taxes. Not only that, but he has insisted that the higher taxes be paid by raising rates, as opposed to reducing various tax breaks (deductions, exemptions, preferential rates) enjoyed heavily by upscale Americans. The obsession with rates is bad policy (higher rates may threaten risk-taking, work effort and hiring) but qualifies as good politics: It signals Obama is macho; he’s tough on the rich, who are implicitly blamed for the nation’s budget and economic woes.

Whatever one thinks about raising taxes at the top (and I have no objection to it as part of comprehensive budget package), it’s not the crux of the problem. The crux of our problem — the problem being the bipartisan and untenable promises made to most Americans of both high government benefits and low taxes — arises from an aging population and high health costs, which cause rapid increases in spending on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

~~~​

Until Obama conspicuously and consistently acknowledges these realities in straightforward and unmistakable language — something he hasn’t done and shows no signs of doing — he cannot be said to be dealing honestly with the budget or with the American people.

Read more:
Obama

Take a spin free look at the big political picture here.

The debt ceiling still looms.

The sequester still kicks in.

The Republicans in the House were fighting to exempt 100% of Americans from major tax increases, and were able to protect 99.4% of us. Excellent job in the big picture.

And the good news is, Obama can no longer demogogue the Bush tax cut issue.

And even the media will have a hard time trying to tell us Obama does not own it all now.

I like it.

i love the pretense here .

Obama just out played your party BIG TIME.

You better not hold the debt ceiling hostage.

i love the pretense here .

Obama just out played your party BIG TIME.

You better not hold the debt ceiling hostage.

Were you not just insulting the fuck out of them cuts that just got made PERMANENT? Your such a fuckin hack in sickening

nope I wasnt.

the cuts in the Bush "TEMPORARY" tax cuts I hated most was the gifts to the top teir

so because they are "permanent" do you think that means they can NEVER be changed now?

Dude we are still trying to recover.

the top teir made BANK during this crash and the rest of us got fucked.

The Republicans in the House were fighting to exempt 100% of Americans from major tax increases, and were able to protect 99.4% of us. Excellent job in the big picture.

And even the media will have a hard time trying to tell us Obama does not own it all now.

I like it.

Be honest, please.

Now that you have said that " Obama now owns the economy" at least two dozen times in the past couple of days........are you hoping that the economy fails to recover?

This is anonymous.....you can be brutally honest with yourself.

when the economy starts steaming allong he will find a bullshit line to come up with to NOT give the credit to Obama

I like it.

Be honest, please.

Now that you have said that " Obama now owns the economy" at least two dozen times in the past couple of days........are you hoping that the economy fails to recover?

This is anonymous.....you can be brutally honest with yourself.

Any informed person, which obviously excludes you, knows America is on an unsustainable path of debt and decay, lead by the Liberal agenda.

So hope has nothing to do with it.

Your pre-apology for Obama making Jimmy Carter look good is NOT accepted.

LOL

and they continue to ignore the facts.

Reagan ballooned the deficit and Bush spent the Clibton surpluses immediately

and they continue to ignore the facts.

Reagan ballooned the deficit and Bush spent the Clibton surpluses immediately

trillion.jpg

Forum List

Back