Obama's girlfriend was a "composite"... WTF?

Does she have a sister?
:wink_2:

I'm sorry, that's a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda question. I refuse to answer as the answer may get me in trouble with two of the women that were included in my composite and also their sisters. :evil: Trust me with what I'm telling you.

So you really are a greedy bastard. Just own it. No harm in being honest, sir.

I was weak, I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doin! :eusa_drool: At least twice!:cool:

From ' Dreams from My Father'

"One night I took her to see a new play by a black playwright. It was a very angry play, but very funny. Typical black American humor. The audience was mostly black, and everybody was laughing and clapping and hollering like they were in church. After the play was over, my friend started talking about why black people were so angry all the time. I said it was a matter of remembering—nobody asks why Jews remember the Holocaust, I think I said—and she said that’s different, and I said it wasn’t, and she said that anger was just a dead end. We had a big fight, right in front of the theater. When we got back to the car she started crying. She couldn’t be black, she said. She would if she could, but she couldn’t. She could only be herself, and wasn’t that enough."

Obama:
“That was not her,” he said. “That was an example of compression I was very sensitive in my book not to write about my girlfriends, partly out of respect for them. So that was a consideration. I thought that [the anecdote involving the reaction of a white girlfriend to the angry black play] was a useful theme to make about sort of the interactions that I had in the relationships with white girlfriends. And so, that occupies, what, two paragraphs in the book? My attitude was it would be dishonest for me not to touch on that at all … so that was an example of sort of editorially how do I figure that out?”"

Jeez... is there anything about this man that is "real"?

This appears to be from a Politico blog post:

Obama: 'New York girlfriend' was composite - POLITICO.com

I saw the post, and found it shockingly poorly-done. The author of the piece seems to claim that Obama has confessed to inventing a composite character that purported to be a real person he had known. In fact, of course, "Dreams from My Father" declares in the preface that composite characters are used. This Politico reporter is incorrectly reporting that Obama committed what I would consider serious wrongdoing and this could have been avoided if the reporter had done any of the following:

1) Skimmed the preface of the book on which he was reporting.

2) Skimmed the Wikipedia entry of the book, which has a chart relating made-up names to real people and also mentions the use of composites explicitly.

3) Waited for someone who had read the book to comment on the story.

4) googled "Dreams from My Father" and "composite"

Then, when someone apparently told the reporter that the book mentioned the use of composites, the reporter "updated" his story to say that "the reissue" of the book admitted the use of composites, implying that Obama had indeed lied-- he'd merely been forced to admit it. It apparently wasn't until someone commented on this "update" that the reporter or his editor finally issued a correction admitting that the book had always mentioned composites.

I'm not saying the reporter in question should resign, but I don't see much difference between this and an incident that led to the resignation of a WaPo blogger: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...oung-blogger/2012/04/20/gIQAFACXWT_story.html

I'm sorry, that's a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda question. I refuse to answer as the answer may get me in trouble with two of the women that were included in my composite and also their sisters. :evil: Trust me with what I'm telling you.

So you really are a greedy bastard. Just own it. No harm in being honest, sir.

I was weak, I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doin! :eusa_drool: At least twice!:cool:

Only twice or is that all you admit to ?

:eusa_shhh: Im not telling anyone.

"One night I took her to see a new play by a black playwright. It was a very angry play, but very funny. Typical black American humor. The audience was mostly black, and everybody was laughing and clapping and hollering like they were in church. After the play was over, my friend started talking about why black people were so angry all the time. I said it was a matter of remembering—nobody asks why Jews remember the Holocaust, I think I said—and she said that’s different, and I said it wasn’t, and she said that anger was just a dead end. We had a big fight, right in front of the theater. When we got back to the car she started crying. She couldn’t be black, she said. She would if she could, but she couldn’t. She could only be herself, and wasn’t that enough."

Obama:
“That was not her,” he said. “That was an example of compression I was very sensitive in my book not to write about my girlfriends, partly out of respect for them. So that was a consideration. I thought that [the anecdote involving the reaction of a white girlfriend to the angry black play] was a useful theme to make about sort of the interactions that I had in the relationships with white girlfriends. And so, that occupies, what, two paragraphs in the book? My attitude was it would be dishonest for me not to touch on that at all … so that was an example of sort of editorially how do I figure that out?”"

I saw the post, and found it shockingly poorly-done. The author of the piece seems to claim that Obama has confessed to inventing a composite character that purported to be a real person he had known. In fact, of course, "Dreams from My Father" declares in the preface that composite characters are used. This Politico reporter is incorrectly reporting that Obama committed what I would consider serious wrongdoing and this could have been avoided if the reporter had done any of the following:

2) Skimmed the Wikipedia entry of the book, which has a chart relating made-up names to real people and also mentions the use of composites explicitly.

Then, when someone apparently told the reporter that the book mentioned the use of composites, the reporter "updated" his story to say that "the reissue" of the book admitted the use of composites, implying that Obama had indeed lied-- he'd merely been forced to admit it. It apparently wasn't until someone commented on this "update" that the reporter or his editor finally issued a correction admitting that the book had always mentioned composites.

I'm not saying the reporter in question should resign, but I don't see much difference between this and an incident that led to the resignation of a WaPo blogger: Elizabeth Flock’s resignation: The Post fails a young blogger - The Washington Post

hammer_nail.jpg

I'm not saying the reporter in question should resign, but I don't see much difference between this and an incident that led to the resignation of a WaPo blogger: Elizabeth Flock’s resignation: The Post fails a young blogger - The Washington Post

Take your pick.

Whats your point?

Networks Hype 'Steamy' Details from Obama's Ex-Girlfriend, Downplay False 'Composite' Relationship | NewsBusters.org

Obama ‘New York Girlfriend;-Genevieve Was A Compression of Many | Uganda Picks

Obama’s College Girlfriends Revealed | Love Letter Excerpts | TheBlaze.com

New Biography Reveals Obama’s ‘New York Girlfriend’ Genevieve Is A Composite [Updated] | Mediaite

Obama:

I think he should resign.

Obama:

:eek: Holy Fuck! :evil: That sounds like some posters here.

Last edited:

Obama:

I dont think anyone should resign... I think the story is just damn funny.

Why cant Obama reminisce about the truth... his 'real' past does not fit the narrative he would like you to have regarding him and his past.

I dont think anyone should resign... I think the story is just damn funny.

Why cant Obama reminisce about the truth... his 'real' past does not fit the narrative he would like you to have regarding him and his past.

Dude, if you actually read books authored by self-serving politicians you are stupider than I ever dreamed.

Regardless, there was no reason for the "reporter" to claim something that wasn't true. Remember Dan Rather?

I think the Infidel didnt know that the Author got caught lying his ass off and now has resorted to the message board equivalent of pointing at Obama and yelling "aha!"

Dude, if you actually read books authored by self-serving politicians you are stupider than I ever dreamed.

Regardless, there was no reason for the "reporter" to claim something that wasn't true. Remember Dan Rather?

When did I say I read it.... I think the story is funny!

Nothing more, nothing less.

When did I say I read it.... I think the story is funny!

Nothing more, nothing less.

I bet Obama's old girlfriends are fuming,,,,,(whine) "honey Barack didn't even mention my name (whine),,there goes my book deal"!

Obama:

Finding ones identity is what most of us go through. Being a wingnut, I doubt your have. Being a wingnut, I guess you like rules and uniformity in your life. I doubt that you were ever in a position where you saw something unfamiliar, and grew.

Forum List

Back