Obamacare Reality on Facebook

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I have seen many 'friends' on facebook say how great Obamacare is going to be, until it's here and now they absolutely hate it. Got in a few arguments.

An old girlfriend who is a liberal single mother to a beautiful 11 year just got a dose of reality. She doesn't have any insurance. She she makes $35K and group insurance. She went on to Obaminationcare and discovered it would cost her $2,535 per year (for the bronze plan and her penalty could be $350. She considered the insurance until she was quoted the benefits and discovered NOTHING accept the bullshit preventative care was offered. She is opting out and will pay the penalty.!

She is now against Obamacare, but still blames Republicans for the messed up healthcare system in the US go figure!

I have seen many 'friends' on facebook say how great Obamacare is going to be, until it's here and now they absolutely hate it. Got in a few arguments.

An old girlfriend who is a liberal single mother to a beautiful 11 year just got a dose of reality. She doesn't have any insurance. She she makes $35K and group insurance. She went on to Obaminationcare and discovered it would cost her $2,535 per year (for the bronze plan and her penalty could be $350. She considered the insurance until she was quoted the benefits and discovered NOTHING accept the bullshit preventative care was offered. She is opting out and will pay the penalty.!

She is now against Obamacare, but still blames Republicans for the messed up healthcare system in the US go figure!

What?

Does she have insurance or not?

"She makes 35k and group insurance?" What does that mean?

"Quoted the benefits" ?????

The penalty is $95 for 2014. Not $350.

Let us all hope she and her daughter are healthy.

You are a lying asshole.

What?

Group insurance is when a group of employees of a particular company purchase health insurance together so that the rate for each individual member is reduced, IIRC.

"Quoted the benefits" would be the website telling her what benefits she would get from purchasing that insurance; although I haven't gone on the site myself, however, you're supposed to be able to compare different coverages side-by-side from what I recall.

What?

You are a lying asshole.

Projecting........

What?

You are a lying asshole.

Typo no group insurance. The penalty is $95 or 1% of your income. Look it up small fry. I pray for her also!

Seems that there is a 1% of income stipulation. Thanks for the info. 1% of AGI. Be sure and figure that correctly.

Still small potatoes if the uninsured deadbeat gets really sick.

Personal responsibility and all that.

You must think I am like you. Fail.

Now see....I would have commended you for speaking up but you had to go and ruin that squishy feeling of awkwardness

I don't need your commendation. Those who question my integrity......should have more of it than I. Such people exist.....but none are USMB nutters.

I humbly bow to your superiority

:eusa_boohoo:

We've exchanged posts enough for you to know better than to doubt my integrity and the only reason I called yours into question is that you ARE usually more forthcoming.

Seems that there is a 1% of income stipulation. Thanks for the info. 1% of AGI. Be sure and figure that correctly.

Still small potatoes if the uninsured deadbeat gets really sick.

Personal responsibility and all that.

Not really, because the biggest problem with Romneycare is the 'freeloader' as they call them. Basically a person opts out of getting insurance until they get sick, then they get insurance before they go to the hospital. After they are made well again (if they are made well), they opt out again.

Obviously the problem would be a freak accident where their isn't time to obtain insurance. However, insurance can be obtained in as little as an hour (not through the current exchanges though)!

I finally got through on the ACA website.

The essential health benefits that all insurance policies must now provide, and all who are insured via the ACA or private insurance will pay for, whether they need the service or not:

All private health insurance plans offered in the Marketplace will offer the same set of essential health benefits. These are services all plans must cover.

The essential health benefits include at least the following items and services:

• Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
• Emergency services
• Hospitalization (such as surgery)
• Maternity and newborn care (care before and after your baby is born)
• Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
• Prescription drugs
• Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions gain or recover mental and physical skills)
• Laboratory services
• Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
• Pediatric services
Essential health benefits are minimum requirements for all plans in the Marketplace.

Preventative medicine that is "free"; no co-pay, no deductible needs to be met. Again, whether you need these services or not, you will be paying for them.

Part 1

Preventive health services for adults

Most health plans must cover a set of preventive services like shots and screening tests at no cost to you. This includes Marketplace private insurance plans.
Preventive care benefits
Preventive care helps you stay healthy. A doctor isn’t someone to see only when you’re sick. Doctors also provide services that help keep you healthy.

Free preventive services
All Marketplace plans and many other plans must cover the following list of preventive services without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible. This applies only when these services are delivered by a network provider.

1. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm one-time screening for men of specified ages who have ever smoked
2. Alcohol Misuse screening and counseling
3. Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease for men and women of certain ages
4. Blood Pressure screening for all adults
5. Cholesterol screening for adults of certain ages or at higher risk
6. Colorectal Cancer screening for adults over 50
7. Depression screening for adults
8. Diabetes (Type 2) screening for adults with high blood pressure
9. Diet counseling for adults at higher risk for chronic disease
10. HIV screening for everyone ages 15 to 65, and other ages at increased risk
11. Immunization vaccines for adults--doses, recommended ages, and recommended populations vary:
o Hepatitis A
o Hepatitis B
o Herpes Zoster
o Human Papillomavirus
o Influenza (Flu Shot)
o Measles, Mumps, Rubella
o Meningococcal
o Pneumococcal
o Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
o Varicella
12. Obesity screening and counseling for all adults
13. Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) prevention counseling for adults at higher risk
14. Syphilis screening for all adults at higher risk
15. Tobacco Use screening for all adults and cessation interventions for tobacco users

Part 2

Preventive health services for women

Most health plans must cover additional preventive health services for women, ensuring a comprehensive set of preventive services like breast cancer screenings to meet women’s unique health care needs.

Comprehensive coverage for women’s preventive care
All Marketplace health plans and many other plans must cover the following list of preventive services for women without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible.
This applies only when these services are delivered by an in-network provider.

1. Anemia screening on a routine basis for pregnant women
2. Breast Cancer Genetic Test Counseling (BRCA) for women at higher risk for breast cancer
3. Breast Cancer Mammography screenings every 1 to 2 years for women over 40
4. Breast Cancer Chemoprevention counseling for women at higher risk
5. Breastfeeding comprehensive support and counseling from trained providers, and access to breastfeeding supplies, for pregnant and nursing women
6. Cervical Cancer screening for sexually active women
7. Chlamydia Infection screening for younger women and other women at higher risk
8. Contraception: Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling, as prescribed by a health care provider for women with reproductive capacity (not including abortifacient drugs). This does not apply to health plans sponsored by certain exempt “religious employers.”
9. Domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling for all women
10. Folic Acid supplements for women who may become pregnant
11. Gestational diabetes screening for women 24 to 28 weeks pregnant and those at high risk of developing gestational diabetes
12. Gonorrhea screening for all women at higher risk
13. Hepatitis B screening for pregnant women at their first prenatal visit
14. HIV screening and counseling for sexually active women
15. Human Papillomavirus (HPV) DNA Test every 3 years for women with normal cytology results who are 30 or older
16. Osteoporosis screening for women over age 60 depending on risk factors
17. Rh Incompatibility screening for all pregnant women and follow-up testing for women at higher risk
18. Sexually Transmitted Infections counseling for sexually active women
19. Syphilis screening for all pregnant women or other women at increased risk
20. Tobacco Use screening and interventions for all women, and expanded counseling for pregnant tobacco users
21. Urinary tract or other infection screening for pregnant women
22. Well-woman visits to get recommended services for women under 65

Part 3

Preventive health services for children

Most health plans must cover a set of preventive health services for children at no cost when delivered by an in-network provider. This includes Marketplace and Medicaid coverage.

Coverage for children’s preventive health services
All Marketplace health plans and many other plans must cover the following list of preventive services for children without charging you a copayment or coinsurance. This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible.

1. Autism screening for children at 18 and 24 months
2. Behavioral assessments for children at the following ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years, 5 to 10 years, 11 to 14 years, 15 to 17 years.
3. Blood Pressure screening for children at the following ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years , 5 to 10 years, 11 to 14 years, 15 to 17 years.
4. Cervical Dysplasia screening for sexually active females
5. Depression screening for adolescents
6. Developmental screening for children under age 3
7. Dyslipidemia screening for children at higher risk of lipid disorders at the following ages: 1 to 4 years, 5 to 10 years, 11 to 14 years, 15 to 17 years.
8. Fluoride Chemoprevention supplements for children without fluoride in their water source
9. Gonorrhea preventive medication for the eyes of all newborns
10. Hearing screening for all newborns
11. Height, Weight and Body Mass Index measurements for children at the following ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years, 5 to 10 years, 11 to 14 years, 15 to 17 years.
12. Hematocrit or Hemoglobin screening for children
13. Hemoglobinopathies or sickle cell screening for newborns
14. HIV screening for adolescents at higher risk
15. **Hypothyroidism screening for newborns
16. Immunization vaccines for children from birth to age 18 —doses, recommended ages, and recommended populations vary:
o Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis
o Haemophilus influenzae type b
o Hepatitis A
o Hepatitis B
o Human Papillomavirus
o Inactivated Poliovirus
o Influenza (Flu Shot)
o Measles, Mumps, Rubella
o Meningococcal
o Pneumococcal
o Rotavirus
o Varicella
17. Iron supplements for children ages 6 to 12 months at risk for anemia
18. Lead screening for children at risk of exposure
19. Medical History for all children throughout development at the following ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years , 5 to 10 years , 11 to 14 years , 15 to 17 years.
20. Obesity screening and counseling
21. Oral Health risk assessment for young children Ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years, 5 to 10 years.
22. Phenylketonuria (PKU) screening for this genetic disorder in newborns
23. Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) prevention counseling and screening for adolescents at higher risk
24. Tuberculin testing for children at higher risk of tuberculosis at the following ages: 0 to 11 months, 1 to 4 years, 5 to 10 years, 11 to 14 years, 15 to 17 years.
25. Vision screening for all children.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-my-preventive-care-benefits

* mods - although this is a long list, it is not all the info on the website pages. just to let you know I am following board rules and am not reposting everything from there.

I finally opened the "envelope" from my health insurance company. The ACA plan that most closely resembles my existing coverage COSTS TWICE what I've been paying in premiums.

So now I'm left with searching for a piece of shit policy in order to keep the premiums to an affordable level.

Thanks for a whole lot of nothing, Obama.

What cracks me up is that when stories like this are made public, and many of them have been, the lefties will say "Just wait, it's a brand new program and the bugs will get worked out of it soon."

As if the government has EVER made anything more efficient. :lmao:

I finally opened the "envelope" from my health insurance company. The ACA plan that most closely resembles my existing coverage COSTS TWICE what I've been paying in premiums.

So now I'm left with searching for a piece of shit policy in order to keep the premiums to an affordable level.

Thanks for a whole lot of nothing, Obama.

Are you going to furnish any details? Or are we supposed to just take your word for it?

And what kind of pussy is afraid to open an envelope? You need drama?

Forum List

Back