ObamaCare - Necessary Evil

Nov 29, 2010
Obamacare was a necessary evil. I applaud him for it. He spent political capital and took a hit, but he knew something had to get done. If not now, when? The answer may be never.

So he got a flawed bill passed through Congress. It will be tweaked, amended, or possibly even repealed and replaced, but something will stay on the books and we'll be better for it in the long run. The old system was unsustainable and unacceptable. The new system may be so flawed that it's worse in the short run, but if this Congress and President didn't get it done, it probably wasn't ever going to happen. That's the truth and I'm glad he got something on the books to get the ball rolling.

Revere,

My primary concern with it is the health care companies raising costs on everyone to counter the bill (preexisting conditions, etc.).

Everyone has noticed the insurance companies have raised premiums. It's not being reported as a political story much in the media and people aren't talking about it all that much, but to me it's got to be a concern for most everyone.

That might be a problem for the Dems and Obama going forward. No one wants to have to pay a few thousand more for the same coverage or pay the same amount for weaker coverage.

Carriers selling group plans were barred from excluding enrollees with pre-existing conditions since 1996, under HIPAA.

If it doesn't get it repealed, it will seal Obama's legacy as a failure and the President who managed the decline of the US.

Obamacare was a necessary evil. I applaud him for it. He spent political capital and took a hit, but he knew something had to get done. If not now, when? The answer may be never.

So he got a flawed bill passed through Congress. It will be tweaked, amended, or possibly even repealed and replaced, but something will stay on the books and we'll be better for it in the long run. The old system was unsustainable and unacceptable. The new system may be so flawed that it's worse in the short run, but if this Congress and President didn't get it done, it probably wasn't ever going to happen. That's the truth and I'm glad he got something on the books to get the ball rolling.

That is true. As we have discussed however, when the republicans take control they will defund it, and then we will refund it again, so-on, so-on. Obama however, failed us, in the sense that he should have had a National Health Care plan covering all americans ready to shove through congress on opening day,and treated it like they did NAFTA. I am glad he did act.

Carriers selling group plans were barred from excluding enrollees with pre-existing conditions since 1996, under HIPAA.

If it doesn't get it repealed, it will seal Obama's legacy as a failure and the President who managed the decline of the US.

You want HIPAA repealed?

How do you explain all of the Exemptions?

In fact, the list of companies receiving waivers jumped from 33 to 111 names in less than one month. Not surprisingly, the White House failed to issue a press release addressing the increase. Fox News notes, “The news is buried on the Health and Human Services website. It takes six separate clicks to find it.”

According to that website, as of November 1, 2010,

Applications for waivers from annual limit requirements are reviewed on a case by case basis by Department officials who look at a series of factors including whether or not a premium increase is large or if a significant number of enrollees would lose access to their current plan because the coverage would not be offered in the absence of a waiver.

In October, the federal government issued dozens of one-year waivers to companies like McDonald’s, insurers, and unions. TheTimes explains, “These limited-benefit plans, also known as ‘minimeds,’ fail to comply with new rules phasing out limits on how much policies will provide in medical care each year.”

Furthermore, the administration granted dozens more waivers in order to avoid the disruption that would have resulted from the enforcement of the new rules. Likewise, the Department of Health and Human Services has indicated it will use a different method of calculating spending for these plans so that they would meet new regulations.

The administration has defended these decisions, asserting that they are merely addressing concerns posed by employers. However, Gateway Pundits contends that without the “right connections, you can’t get a waiver for your company.” It adds, “That’s the new reality under the Obama-Pelosi regime.”

Similarly, Fox News asserts, “These are companies that maybe have the smartest lawyers and loudest voices — Aetna, McDonald’s, Jack in the Box, the unions — fighting for the exemptions and getting the waivers.”

In response to that, Fox News contributor Tracey Barnes told Fox News:

That’s the sin of it. A law was created inside of three minutes. It was "shoot now, ask questions later." We put it out there; we realized everything is wrong with it. And the little guy affected the most doesn’t have the money and the big corporate attorneys to go back to the government and fight for it. We have big companies getting away with it and the little guy getting hurt yet again.”

Gateway Pundits carefully examined the list of 111 names and noted an abundance of unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), UFCW Allied Trade Health & Welfare Trust, IBEW No 915, Asbestos Workers Local 53 Welfare Fund, Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 123 Welfare Fund, UFCW Local 227, UFCW Maximus Local 455, Local 25 WEIU, UFCW Local 1262, Local 802 Musicians Health Fund, Local 17 Hospitality Benefit Fund, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT), Transport Workers, and UFT Welfare Fund (United Federation of Teachers).

More Companies Receiving ObamaCare Waivers

Obamacare was a necessary evil.

bullshit.jpg

Forum List

Back