ObamaCare- Mandate is Constitutional as a Tax, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8erePM8V5U]President Obama's Pledge Never to Raise Taxes on Anyone Making Less Than $250,000 a Year - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why he wrote a narrow opinion. This was a smart move by Roberts. This gives Obama and progressives a short celebration until reality sets in. By ruling the mandate is a tax, he gave the republicans legal grounds to repeal it because as everyone knows, any tax can be repealed. Lol. This is a victory for republicans. Roberts didn't want to go down in history as the guy who took away the opportunity for tens of millions of Americans to not be able to get Health Insurance. He just passed the mandate back to Congress in the form of a tax so they can repeal it under that option.

Maybe I am missing something. It looks to me like they also Decided that States can Opt out of Obamacare, Which Effectively Makes the Bill meaningless. I mean 26 states sued over it, If they can opt out, I assume they will.

Last edited:
I love idiots who believe they don't need health insurance because they are healthy. Everyday, thousands of healthy people are diagnosed with cancer and other diseases. My wife was very healthy, until she came down with leukemia, which ended up killing her at the young age of 41. Her medical bills were over $1 million. People who don't have health insurance believe it is up to everyone else to pay for their medical care. It's time for that to change. It's time to put an end to people being leaches on the system and all those who actually pay for their healthcare.

No we're pro choice. IF you want it, get it, if you dont, dont. Why do liberals love to impose their beliefs and ideas on people?
If they dont have insurance, dont treat them, that's alot more constitutional and people would get it pretty fast.

Well somewhere along the way, it was found to be constitutional to force healthcare providers to treat people whether they could pay or not, yet it should be unconstitutional to force the free loaders to be responsible for themselves. I love that logic.

And what about those who could not get insurance because the insurance companies decided to force them off the rolls? Many people wanted insurance but couldn't get it at any price. That's the American way though; it's not a good way, and that is why we are changing it.

Had this law been held Constitutional under the Commerce Clause there would be little chance of repealing it.

A tax can always be repealed. obama's been lying for years saying it wasn't a tax. Now his lies have been exposed.

And Roberts was the fifth vote. He has my respect for not wanting to de-legitimize the Court on his watch.

Two hundred years of precedent and all of the New Deal decisions, support this decision, no matter what some would like to believe.

Roberts did change it back to a tax...that is precedent. Mandate which Obama packaged it...no, not precedent.

So the court can re-write legislation on the fly?

We were able to repeal it beforehand. Why exactly is this a good decision for Republicans other than it gives us the issue for the election which is a silly reason to make it.

This is a loss for Americans. Period. Any type of spin is just that. Bullcrap

Please go read Mosiah 4 with a humble and contrite heart.

I understand you choose not to recognize the difference between individual responsibilities and outsourcing those responsibilities to the government. But that doesnt mean I don't.

Exactly! My wife died at 27 from leukemia. We had excellent coverage and STILL had bills totaling close to $700,000 that WEREN'T covered by insurance. It's amazing how short sighted people can be.

The difference is, your wife would have gotten no care at all. She would be told to take a pill instead of treatment. Just like obama told the woman whose mother needed a pacemaker. Instead of a pacemaker, just take a pill until she died.
What the hell are you blabbing about? I honestly don't follow. What pill?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dQfb8WQvo]Obama to Jane Sturm: Hey, take a pill - YouTube[/ame]

obama's answer was your mother should die.

You know, this is all a funny thing for me. When I first read the headline, I did a mini-celebration on account of the various debates I've had here and elsewhere in the past several months regarding the constitutionality of the health care law. So, I've won the argument this time. Whoopie.

But on the other hand, I'm celebrating the continuance of a law that I whole heartedly disagree with. Can this be a lesson, please? All this time that so many people have been babbling about the alleged unconstitutionality of the law, is time and energy wasted. We're not back at the beginning. If we the people, and our elected officials, had instead turned these past several months toward repealing the law, offering alternatives, etc, then something might have actually been accomplished by now. The Republicans have really shot themselves in the feet. The AZ lawsuit was a de facto win for Obama, this is a resounding victory for Obama, and the Supreme Court has just told the country that the primary plank in the GOP platform is factually wrong.

But he flat out lied to us man, he looked square intot he camera talking to Stephanoupolis and said unequivically that the mandate was not a tax. And he said he waould not raise taxes on those families making under $250k. And we now know that both of these are not true. Congrats on your victory, you must be so proud.

The mandate is not a tax. The tax only comes into play if you choose not to be responsible and carry insurance. From all the arguments I hear about "forcing people to buy something they don't want", I must assume those arguing against it believe that those of us who pay for insurance should cover the costs of those who don't, and if you are arguing against it, you must be one of the leaches who want everyone else to cover you.

If you are paying for insurance, it would stand to reason that you would prefer everyone pay for their own care rather than having to subsidize them by paying higher premiums. For anyone who talks self reliance and financial responsibility, I find it laughable that you would be against the mandate. It's not like the mandate is requiring you to buy pink slippers.

But on the other hand, I'm celebrating the continuance of a law that I whole heartedly disagree with. Can this be a lesson, please?

Bullshit.

You are celebrating the fact that we are under total fascist control and for the time being the parasites rule.

It is high time for the Conservatives and the producers to wake the fuck up and realize that we no longer have a Constitutional form of government nor Article III review.

That is why he wrote a narrow opinion. This was a smart move by Roberts. This gives Obama and progressives a short celebration until reality sets in. By ruling the mandate is a tax, he gave the republicans legal grounds to repeal it because as everyone knows, any tax can be repealed. Lol. This is a victory for republicans. Roberts didn't want to go down in history as the guy who took away the opportunity for tens of millions of Americans to not be able to get Health Insurance. He just passed the mandate back to Congress in the form of a tax so they can repeal it under that option.

Maybe I am missing something. It looks to me like they also Decided that States can Opt out of Obamacare, Which Effectively Makes the Bill meaningless. I mean 26 states sued over it, If they can opt out, I assume they will.

It means they remain in medicaid, but do not have to accept the expanded medicaid requirements without losing the whole package. The taxing portions is constitutional, and the rest of the provisions survived.

TAx increase for all except the leeches. Yay team.

Yes.
Essentially that is what will happen.
At the same time there will be two very different healthcare systems in America - the "regular people" will have government healthcare. Which will be crappy, rationed, six miles of red tape and your treatment will be delayed often and for long period of times. You know...like Medi-care.
Then there will be "private care". Individuals lucky enough to have a high level job where benefits still include healthcare. Their healthcare will be what 90% of us have right now...but won't any more.

You know, this is all a funny thing for me. When I first read the headline, I did a mini-celebration on account of the various debates I've had here and elsewhere in the past several months regarding the constitutionality of the health care law. So, I've won the argument this time. Whoopie.

But on the other hand, I'm celebrating the continuance of a law that I whole heartedly disagree with. Can this be a lesson, please? All this time that so many people have been babbling about the alleged unconstitutionality of the law, is time and energy wasted. We're not back at the beginning. If we the people, and our elected officials, had instead turned these past several months toward repealing the law, offering alternatives, etc, then something might have actually been accomplished by now. The Republicans have really shot themselves in the feet. The AZ lawsuit was a de facto win for Obama, this is a resounding victory for Obama, and the Supreme Court has just told the country that the primary plank in the GOP platform is factually wrong.

But he flat out lied to us man, he looked square intot he camera talking to Stephanoupolis and said unequivically that the mandate was not a tax. And he said he waould not raise taxes on those families making under $250k. And we now know that both of these are not true. Congrats on your victory, you must be so proud.

The mandate is not a tax. The tax only comes into play if you choose not to be responsible and carry insurance. From all the arguments I hear about "forcing people to buy something they don't want", I must assume those arguing against it believe that those of us who pay for insurance should cover the costs of those who don't, and if you are arguing against it, you must be one of the leaches who want everyone else to cover you.

If you are paying for insurance, it would stand to reason that you would prefer everyone pay for their own care rather than having to subsidize them by paying higher premiums. For anyone who talks self reliance and financial responsibility, I find it laughable that you would be against the mandate. It's not like the mandate is requiring you to buy pink slippers.

Dude - it IS a tax, wouldn't be consitutional otherwise.

" I must assume those arguing against it believe that those of us who pay for insurance should cover the costs of those who don't, and if you are arguing against it, you must be one of the leaches who want everyone else to cover you. "

This is the most twisted logic I've ever seen. It is in fact the lib/dems who want everyone else to cover you. Get it through your thick head - we don't have the fucking money to pay for ObamaCare.

BTW - I am also against a mandate requiring the purchase of pink slippers, should one pass Congress and be signed by Obama. Apparently they can do that now, there's absolutely no limit on what Congress can tax you on. Don't know why any American should be pleased about that.

Forum List

Back