Obama Trendng Upward While McCain Stays Flat After Choice of VP

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Saturday, August 30, 2008 Email to a FriendAdvertisement
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday is the first to include reaction to both Barack Obama’s acceptance speech and John McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin to be his running mate. The numbers are little changed since yesterday and show Barack Obama attracting 47% of the vote nationwide while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 49% and McCain 45%

Rasmussen Reports: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

As Richard-H observed, McCain didn't need to attract more of "the base". He needed Hillary women and blue collar dems from the middle.

Choosing a right wing idealogue... and a not too bright one, isn't the way to go about it.

But will be interesting to see how McCain fares after his convention.

Me? I think Palin's a female Dan Quayle.

The right wing loonies simply don't learn.

Choosing a right wing idealogue... and a not too bright one, isn't the way to go about it. ...

she seems pretty bright to me... :eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0darQB7r4]YouTube - America: Meet Sarah Palin[/ame]

[YOUTUBE]Gg0darQB7r4 [/YOUTUBE]

The jury is still out on this one. It could be another disaster, Eagleton style.

it's certainly going to be interesting!

i am pro choice, pro stem cell research and pro gay rights...i am concerned about her stances on these particular issues and how the judicial appointments of a mccain/palin administration might be influenced by the religious right's agenda. we'll see how they present their message at the convention. either way, i think she is a bright woman who will stand admirably for what she believes in, whether or not i choose to vote for her...

it's certainly going to be interesting!

i am pro choice, pro stem cell research and pro gay rights...i am concerned about her stances on these particular issues and how the judicial appointments of a mccain/palin administration might be influenced by the religious right's agenda. we'll see how they present their message at the convention. either way, i think she is a bright woman who will stand admirably for what she believes in, whether or not i choose to vote for her...

I know you realize you're not really voting for her per se.

I too am pro-choice, pro stem cell research and pro gay rights which is why, regardless of how they "present" their message at the RNC, I wouldn't cast my vote for McCain/Palin. They both stand against all three of those issues not to mention one, McCain, has no plan to bring our troops home and the other, Palin doesn't have a clue about Iraq at all.

I think Palin seems like a bright, articulate, passionate woman who is probably very good at whatever she sets out to do. I admire what she's done by way of becoming the first female governor of Alaska as one woman to another but as much as I'd love to see a woman as VP or better yet President, Palin isn't that woman.

these numbers are good for Mac, the Palin announcement excited his base and cut off any convention bounce

I'd still bet Obama wins, but this whole thing is remarkably close considering how unpopular and pathetic the current GOP pres is.

As Richard-H observed, McCain didn't need to attract more of "the base". He needed Hillary women and blue collar dems from the middle.

No, he definitely needed the base to come out in full force, which is a trend you won't find the polls. What Palin does it excites the far right conservatives and gets them excited about voting, so that they actually show up on election day. With random phone polling, you don't find out how many people are gonna show up, you find who the people you called are going to vote for. When people decide to start calling in and offer their votes in polls, then you'll find this trend.

What a nice thing to say about a woman whose son is on his way there next month.

I hope your elected officials in the Democratic party make the same gaffes.

sorry, I didn't say it, she did. Am I to read between the lines of her own words now? :eusa_shifty:

What a nice thing to say about a woman whose son is on his way there next month.

I hope your elected officials in the Democratic party make the same gaffes.

Joe Biden's son is headed there as well.

It is time for all the sons and daughters to come home.

Zogby has McCain up.

Obama's best days are behind him.

The Obama loyalists are in sheer terror over Palin.

ETA: Obama's numbers dipped for a few days after he choce Biden. Nice try, Jillian. 4 point lead!

Last edited:
You only need to look at the number of people that voted in the Democratic vs. the Republican primaries to get an idea of how the election will turn out.

Republicans always get a good turnout. Republicans are usually people that have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and feel extremely threatened by change. They vote in force almost all the time.

Democrats have a lot of problems getting people to vote. Many people with liberal views are disallusioned and cynical towards the elections. They feel that the whole process is corrupt. Neither Al Gore or John Kerry could motivate these people.

Obama is definitely motivating millions of otherwise disillusioned people. They see his candidancy as a minor miracle and will be voting in numbers never seen before.

If you look at the results of the 2000 & 2004 elections, understand that almost everyone that voted in those elections will vote the same way, but factor in the huge number of people that usually don't vote, but will come out for Obama, plus a hefty number of 'undecideds' that will swing to Obama due to his youth, vigor and charisma, what you get is:

A LANDSLIDE FOR OBAMA!

You only need to look at the number of people that voted in the Democratic vs. the Republican primaries to get an idea of how the election will turn out.

No, you don't. The Republican primaries were cut short because McCain was winning every state. No one bothered voted because they assumed it was over from the beginning.

huge number of people that usually don't vote, but will come out for Obama

And the huge number of people that don't usually vote, but will come out and vote to keep a black man out of office.

Last edited:
I think she'll do fine. Personally, out of the crop, I would have taken Romney. The guy was hugely successful, built up a multibillion dollar business, turned the 2000 Olympics away from corruption, and governed a state. If McCain picked her because she was a woman then McCain's got problems in the head. If he picked her because he was playing the washington outsider card, ok, fine, but probably still not the best pick. I can't wait till Biden and her debate. I want to see Biden bring the bat to see if she can hang.

Republicans always get a good turnout. Republicans are usually people that have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and feel extremely threatened by change. They vote in force almost all the time.

Democrats have a lot of problems getting people to vote. Many people with liberal views are disallusioned and cynical towards the elections. They feel that the whole process is corrupt. Neither Al Gore or John Kerry could motivate these people.

Obama is definitely motivating millions of otherwise disillusioned people. They see his candidancy as a minor miracle and will be voting in numbers never seen before.

If you look at the results of the 2000 & 2004 elections, understand that almost everyone that voted in those elections will vote the same way, but factor in the huge number of people that usually don't vote, but will come out for Obama, plus a hefty number of 'undecideds' that will swing to Obama due to his youth, vigor and charisma, what you get is:

A LANDSLIDE FOR OBAMA!

Agreed.

Forum List

Back