Obama to Congress: I’ll decide what’s constitutional

Actually, part of his job IS to determine what is or is not Constitutional. (That is, it could be a good basis to veto a bill, for example.)

His problem is: he has no fucking clue about what qualifies something as Constitutional or unConstitutional.

That's the Courts role, you know that. He can Veto Anything he doesn't like, just because he doesn't agree with it. That is within his power. His Power is mostly Executive, Commander in Chief, and Presidential Order. For Each, he is accountable. Here, he is putting himself above the Court and many times over, Due Process and Oversight. He has decreed that the Rule of Law is what he says it is. His terms are a fail and a threat.

I actually DO disagree.

The COURT's role is what the Constitution SAID the Court's role is, not what the Court (itself) then said their role was.

And there's not one single coherent reason that the President cannot make decisions about what is or is not Constitutional.

For example, if the Congress passes a law that transgresses the separation of powers and invades the proper turf of the Executive, I maintain that the FIRST Constitutional body to pass judgment on that law's Constitutionality (or lack thereof) is not some Court. It is the Executive.

However, I completely AGREE that when he issues a signing statement that "interprets" a prohibition as unconstitutional and then proceeds to DO the very thing that the law (which he has himself signed) forbids, he is not validly interpreting the Constitution anymore. At that point he is simply violating the law.

He is a President not a King or a dictator.

The Executive Branch
The executive branch consists of the president, vice president and 15 Cabinet-level departments such as State, Defense, Interior, Transportation and Education. The primary power of the executive branch rests with the president, who chooses his vice president, and his Cabinet members who head the respective departments. A crucial function of the executive branch is to ensure that laws are carried out and enforced to facilitate such day-to-day responsibilities of the federal government as collecting taxes, safeguarding the homeland and representing the United States' political and economic interests around the world.

The Judicial Branch
The judicial branch consists of the United States Supreme Court and lower federal courts. Its primary function is to hear cases that challenge legislation or require interpretation of that legislation. The U.S. Supreme Court has nine Justices, who are chosen by the President, confirmed by the Senate, and have a lifetime appointment.

The Branches of Government

He is just so benevolent isn't he??? I get he feeling he thinks himself Immortal. God-Like. This Guy taught Constitutional Law? What a waste of time.
obama and the pope die in a plane crash and they went before the almighty one to secure a place in heaven
who are you said god to the pope .

im the one who stands as your servant and represents you on earth said the pope
fine said god you shall be honored for your work take a seat by my side .

who are you said god to oboma .
im the president of the united states said obama and your sitting in my fucking seat

It's his job to direct policy for the cabinet agencies, congress can try to step on his turf but short of drafting a law they have no business dictating policy for these agencies.

it's not his job to ensure that legislation is constitutional or not that's the courts job.

That's the Courts role, you know that. He can Veto Anything he doesn't like, just because he doesn't agree with it. That is within his power. His Power is mostly Executive, Commander in Chief, and Presidential Order. For Each, he is accountable. Here, he is putting himself above the Court and many times over, Due Process and Oversight. He has decreed that the Rule of Law is what he says it is. His terms are a fail and a threat.

I actually DO disagree.

The COURT's role is what the Constitution SAID the Court's role is, not what the Court (itself) then said their role was.

And there's not one single coherent reason that the President cannot make decisions about what is or is not Constitutional.

For example, if the Congress passes a law that transgresses the separation of powers and invades the proper turf of the Executive, I maintain that the FIRST Constitutional body to pass judgment on that law's Constitutionality (or lack thereof) is not some Court. It is the Executive.

However, I completely AGREE that when he issues a signing statement that "interprets" a prohibition as unconstitutional and then proceeds to DO the very thing that the law (which he has himself signed) forbids, he is not validly interpreting the Constitution anymore. At that point he is simply violating the law.

The Executive Branch
The executive branch consists of the president, vice president and 15 Cabinet-level departments such as State, Defense, Interior, Transportation and Education. The primary power of the executive branch rests with the president, who chooses his vice president, and his Cabinet members who head the respective departments. A crucial function of the executive branch is to ensure that laws are carried out and enforced to facilitate such day-to-day responsibilities of the federal government as collecting taxes, safeguarding the homeland and representing the United States' political and economic interests around the world.

The Judicial Branch
The judicial branch consists of the United States Supreme Court and lower federal courts. Its primary function is to hear cases that challenge legislation or require interpretation of that legislation. The U.S. Supreme Court has nine Justices, who are chosen by the President, confirmed by the Senate, and have a lifetime appointment.

Citing somebody's standard and unexamined opinion is not exactly the same as supporting your point.

The CONSTITUTION said what the Court's role is. The COURT then took it upon themselves to make themselves the sole -- and exclusive -- arbiter of Constitutionality.

That was an over-reach then and it still is.

What is with you people that can't read?

Where does Obama say "I will decide what is constitutional"?

I have advised Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress’s consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient

The only mention of the Constitution is his "constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration".

The Constitution gives the President the responsibility to make recommendations that he feels are important.

Any other interpretation is so ludicrous that only sheep will believe it!

It's his job to direct policy for the cabinet agencies, congress can try to step on his turf but short of drafting a law they have no business dictating policy for these agencies.

it's not his job to ensure that legislation is constitutional or not that's the courts job.

Go back and read the Quote attributed to Obama, he did not say "I’ll decide what’s constitutional", some idiot blogger did.

Well isn't this bold of the dictator?

Election season is here, and you might think President Obama would be going out of his way to show voters that he can be trusted with the powers of the presidency. But you would be wrong. Just a few days before Christmas, Obama served notice to all Americans that he will continue to abuse executive privilege by seeking new ways to vilify gun owners and further his anti-gun agenda.

Congress placed a provision in the $1 trillion omnibus spending bill for 2012 designed to bar the National Institutes of Health (NIH) from using any of its $30.7 billion taxpayer funds to “advocate or promote gun control.” However, upon signing the bill into law, President Obama issued a caveat of his own:

I have advised Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress’s consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient

Obama to Congress: I'll decide what's constitutional | The Daily Caller
FUCK YOU OBAMA and FUCK the NDAA.
Long live the Republic.

Every President going back...ohhh, I don't know how far...has issued signing statements with the same message.

Did you not know that?

But OBAMA does it, oh! He's a dictator!

What is with you people that can't read?

Where does Obama say "I will decide what is constitutional"?

The only mention of the Constitution is his "constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration".

The Constitution gives the President the responsibility to make recommendations that he feels are important.

Any other interpretation is so ludicrous that only sheep will believe it!

No it does not it's his job to ensure the law of the land is carried out, it's not his job to interpret anything.

Well isn't this bold of the dictator?

Election season is here, and you might think President Obama would be going out of his way to show voters that he can be trusted with the powers of the presidency. But you would be wrong. Just a few days before Christmas, Obama served notice to all Americans that he will continue to abuse executive privilege by seeking new ways to vilify gun owners and further his anti-gun agenda.

Congress placed a provision in the $1 trillion omnibus spending bill for 2012 designed to bar the National Institutes of Health (NIH) from using any of its $30.7 billion taxpayer funds to “advocate or promote gun control.” However, upon signing the bill into law, President Obama issued a caveat of his own:

Obama to Congress: I'll decide what's constitutional | The Daily Caller
FUCK YOU OBAMA and FUCK the NDAA.
Long live the Republic.

Every President going back...ohhh, I don't know how far...has issued signing statements with the same message.

Did you not know that?

Every god damn fucking president? Fuck you

Go back and read the Quote attributed to Obama, he did not say "I’ll decide what’s constitutional", some idiot blogger did.

I read it and understood what he said. He's a fucking Hitler want to be. You would have defend hitler wouldn't you if you were a German in 1937

Actually, part of his job IS to determine what is or is not Constitutional. (That is, it could be a good basis to veto a bill, for example.)

His problem is: he has no fucking clue about what qualifies something as Constitutional or unConstitutional.

No it is not his job is to make sure the law of the land is enforced, The Supreme court's job is to make sure what is Constitutional and what isn't.

His job is emphatically NOT to enforce laws which violate the Constitution. And I'll be damned if the court is the only body that can pass judgment on that topic.

I do agree that where there exists serious disagreement, the Court has to serve as the final arbiter. But that does not make them the SOLE arbiter. And what THEY say can be changed too, if the rules are followed.
His job is executive not Judaical.

I read it and understood what he said. He's a fucking Hitler want to be. You would have defend hitler wouldn't you if you were a German in 1937

Oh good God, what a hyperbolic wildman you are! It is so comical when Obama uses powers no republican would ever dream of doing without in the office of president. Don't like executive powers? Or do you just not like democrats using them?

I actually DO disagree.

The Executive Branch

The Judicial Branch

Citing somebody's standard and unexamined opinion is not exactly the same as supporting your point.

The CONSTITUTION said what the Court's role is. The COURT then took it upon themselves to make themselves the sole -- and exclusive -- arbiter of Constitutionality.

That was an over-reach then and it still is.

The power of the Executive Branch is vested in the President of the United States, who also acts as head of state and Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. The President is responsible for implementing and enforcing the laws written by Congress and, to that end, appoints the heads of the federal agencies, including the Cabinet. The Vice President is also part of the Executive Branch, ready to assume the Presidency should the need arise.
The Executive Branch | The White House

Did you not know that?

Every god damn fucking president? Fuck you

For many decades now, at least. Did you really not know that?

I'm more concerned with the here and now then what was and has been maybe you should be also.

Here bigreb, read and learn something: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33667.pdf

President Reagan issued 250 signing statements, 86 of which (34%) contained provisions objecting to one or more of the statutory provisions signed into law. President George H. W. Bush continued this practice, issuing 228 signing statements, 107 of which (47%) raised objections. President Clinton’s conception of presidential power proved to be largely consonant with that of the preceding two administrations. In turn, President Clinton made aggressive use of the signing statement, issuing 381 statements, 70 of which (18%) raised constitutional or legal objections. President George W. Bush has continued this practice, issuing 152 signing statements, 118 of which (78%) contain some type of challenge or objection.

Here bigreb, read and learn something: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33667.pdf

President Reagan issued 250 signing statements, 86 of which (34%) contained provisions objecting to one or more of the statutory provisions signed into law. President George H. W. Bush continued this practice, issuing 228 signing statements, 107 of which (47%) raised objections. President Clinton’s conception of presidential power proved to be largely consonant with that of the preceding two administrations. In turn, President Clinton made aggressive use of the signing statement, issuing 381 statements, 70 of which (18%) raised constitutional or legal objections. President George W. Bush has continued this practice, issuing 152 signing statements, 118 of which (78%) contain some type of challenge or objection.

I don't give a fuck what a dead president did in the past, Do you fucking understand this? I care about what this goddamn president is doing. Do you understand this?

I'm more concerned with the here and now then what was and has been maybe you should be also.

Were you calling Reagan a dictator when he did the same thing? How about Bushes 41 and 43?

Or were you not around during any of those guys?

I don't give a fuck what a dead president did in the past, Do you fucking understand this? I care about what this goddamn president is doing. Do you understand this?

I think you had no idea this was common practice until now.

Forum List

Back