Obama, Republicans reach deal to extend tax cuts, unemployment benefits

Both are true statements.

The Democrats in Congress, if you want to play this game, took the majority inheriting 2 unpaid for wars, an unpaid for Medicare drug bill - the largest expansion of government healthcare since the sixties - and a slowing economy that was beginning to generate less tax revenue.

And the republicans inherited a burst tech bubble and lax international intelligence and lax security against terrorist attacks at home.

We can keep going all the way back to england with this if you want.

Except your retort is ignorant.

Why didn't the Republicans pay for the wars and Medicare part D?

Another simple question you can dodge.

...and for a bonus, why did you support it?

Two unfunded wars and they give the wealthy a tax cut that NEVER did produce the claimed jobs.

Now they think it create jobs HOW?????

Then why did Bush and the Republicans pass a SECOND tax cut in 2003 if we had 2 wars to pay for?

They thought it would help keep the economy from crashing and were running what THEY considered a "manageable" deficit. Which Obama the last congress that is lame ducking right now has increased 4 fold to a point that is not manageable

There's no such thing as a manageable deficit. That's the equivalent of someone with a massive credit card balance deciding that their new definition of financial responsibility will be to add to that balance at a slower rate.

I am astounded day by day to find out how much more fiscally conservative I am than 99% of the self-proclaimed conservatives on this board.

Seriously did you READ what I wrote. Let me re-write the part you must have missed.

"....were running what THEY considered a "manageable" deficit." See how I wrote that, notice how I stated that THEY considered it "manageable"

I chose to write it that way for a reason and your willingness to try to ascribe that as me saying that "I think their deficit was manageable" is not honest. There is no such thing as a manageable deficit or an acceptable one to me.

Bush's deficits were in decline from 2005 until Congress was controlled by Democrats in 2007. Unemployment remained low, about half of what it is now.

Exactly what was the problem with those tax cuts?

Uh, wake up call, those tax cuts are still in place. Those tax cuts are still contributing to the deficit.

Are you a fiscal conservative or not?

Bad deal.

Business owners will still be afraid to hire because their is great doubt if there taxes will go way up in 2 years.

The republicans refused to talk.

They told the country they would shut down anything the government tried to do unless the wealthy got their tax cut.

To them everything else didnt matter.

So, why didn't Obama have the balls to call their bluff? Can you imagine the poitical suicide the GOP would have committed by "shutting everything down" right about now?

B/c the gop didn't say that. She's making shit up and accusing the gop of her make believe.

You have been proven wrong care to appologise?

he should have told them to screw themselves.
it is politically motivated short sightedness such as this that got us in this mess in the first place.
Fortunately vindictive small paradigm people such as yourself are NOT running the show. You are not a leader. You have not a clue the concept of leadership.I would like to think Obama placed the good of the nation's people ahead of his own political aspirations. Just this once.

The Democrats in Congress, if you want to play this game, took the majority inheriting 2 unpaid for wars, an unpaid for Medicare drug bill - the largest expansion of government healthcare since the sixties - and a slowing economy that was beginning to generate less tax revenue.

And the republicans inherited a burst tech bubble and lax international intelligence and lax security against terrorist attacks at home.

Please don't lie about my positions to try and "win" the argument.

1) I didn't support medicare part D.
2) I didn't support tax cuts without spending cuts
3) I did support both Iraq and Afghanistan wars and still do and I did not support them borrowing the money to run the wars.

If anyone is dodging it is you by lying about me. Please stop now.

They thought it would help keep the economy from crashing and were running what THEY considered a "manageable" deficit. Which Obama the last congress that is lame ducking right now has increased 4 fold to a point that is not manageable

There's no such thing as a manageable deficit. That's the equivalent of someone with a massive credit card balance deciding that their new definition of financial responsibility will be to add to that balance at a slower rate.

I am astounded day by day to find out how much more fiscally conservative I am than 99% of the self-proclaimed conservatives on this board.

Seriously did you READ what I wrote. Let me re-write the part you must have missed.

"....were running what THEY considered a "manageable" deficit." See how I wrote that, notice how I stated that THEY considered it "manageable"

I chose to write it that way for a reason and your willingness to try to ascribe that as me saying that "I think their deficit was manageable" is not honest. There is no such thing as a manageable deficit or an acceptable one to me.

Ok, fair enough. So you weren't defending them as it might have appeared but instead would have in fact opposed the Bush tax cuts and the passage of Medicare part D because they contributed to a resurgence of triple digit deficits...

ok?

The Republicans should have told Obama to go fuck himself.
In a manner of speaking ,they did just that. The GOP refused to set aside their core beliefs and left compromise outside the Capitol building.
Hopefully, with this decision the GOP leadership set aside their political aspirations for the good of the nations' people.

As I said the debt piled up for extending unemp benefits is to help those who do NEED it.
The tax cuts for the upper crust is debt piled up for those who do not NEED it.
And example of being a fiscal conservative but a humanitarian liberal.

And without increased demand for products the tax cuts for the upper crust will not create one job. Just put more money in the pockets of those who already have plenty.

Last edited:
Bush's deficits were in decline from 2005 until Congress was controlled by Democrats in 2007. Unemployment remained low, about half of what it is now.

Uh, wake up call, those tax cuts are still in place. Those tax cuts are still contributing to the deficit.

No, those deficits were in decline until Democrats controlled Congress

Obama added $3T to the deficit without raising income taxes. Democrats spent more in four years than any other government in the history of the world.

Now they want someone else to pay for it.

As I said the debt piled up for extending unemp benefits is to help those who do NEED it.
The tax cuts for the upper crust is debt piled up for those who do not NEED it.
And example of being a fiscal conservative but a humanitarian liberal.

You mean $3T in tax cuts for the middle class don't need to be paid for because someone "needs" it? But tax cuts for upper income earners, which would cost 1/3 of that, need to be "paid for?"

Government is wealthier than anyone.

Does the government "need" tax revenue worse than any individual in this country?

Last edited:

3) I did support both Iraq and Afghanistan wars and still do and I did not support them borrowing the money to run the wars.

When you offer up rationalizations, justifications, and defenses for what Bush and the GOP it's natural to assume you're agreeing with them.

If you disagree with them, why defend them?

When you offer up rationalizations, justifications, and defenses for what Bush and the GOP it's natural to assume you're agreeing with them.

I wasn't defending them I was dislodging what I felt was a dishonest post. Claiming the Obama inherited a mess from bush is as lame as claiming that bush inherited a mess from clinton who inherited a mess from bush/reagan who inherited a mess from carter........get it now?

See my sig line ;).

Last edited:

No, those deficits were in decline until Democrats controlled Congress

Obama added $3T to the deficit without raising income taxes. Democrats spent more in four years than any other government in the history of the world.

Now they want someone else to pay for it.

Most of the deficits of the last 2 years are attributable to Bush policies that were carried over.

I wasn't defending them I was dislodging what I felt was a dishonest post. Claiming the dems inherited a mess from bush is as lame as claiming that bush inherited a mess from clinton who inherited a mess from bush/reagan who inherited a mess from carter........get it now?

See my sig line ;).

Bush didn't inherit a mess from Clinton. Bush inherited a surplus and a tax structure that was paying the bills. The economy was slowing down into one of the mildest recessions in recent history.

The Democratic Congress inherited triple digit deficits and a tax structure that could not pay the bills. The economy was slowing down into one of the worst recessions in recent history.

How you can draw equivalence between those 2 scenarios is mystifying.

I wasn't defending them I was dislodging what I felt was a dishonest post. Claiming the Obama inherited a mess from bush is as lame as claiming that bush inherited a mess from clinton who inherited a mess from bush/reagan who inherited a mess from carter........get it now?

See my sig line ;).

How fucking partisan do you have to be to say this stupid shit?

I wasn't defending them I was dislodging what I felt was a dishonest post. Claiming the dems inherited a mess from bush is as lame as claiming that bush inherited a mess from clinton who inherited a mess from bush/reagan who inherited a mess from carter........get it now?

See my sig line ;).

Bush didn't inherit a mess from Clinton. Bush inherited a surplus and a tax structure that was paying the bills. The economy was slowing down into one of the mildest recessions in recent history.

The Democratic Congress inherited triple digit deficits and a tax structure that could not pay the bills. The economy was slowing down into one of the worst recessions in recent history.

How you can draw equivalence between those 2 scenarios is mystifying.

He inherited an intelligenc and security mess, an espionage mess, and a bursted tech bubble burnt out economy mess.

Forum List

Back