Obama: Republicans are royally angry and who can blame them?

R

rdean

Someone tried to bring down a packed passenger jet. After 9/11 and you would think the government would have a better handle on these types of events. Read the following story:

It was the scream that people noticed. Monique Danison, an American college student, had just finished lunch on the overseas to the US American Airlines Flight when she heard a woman cry out in terror. "When someone screams the way she did," says Danison, "you know something bad is happening."
Bad is right.
A passenger on the Boeing 767, was trying to light a fuse witnesses say. According to the FBI, there were enough high explosives to blow a hole in the fuselage of the aircraft. But the attempted bombing was foiled. Two flight attendants struggled with the man after one of them noticed the sulfurous smell of a lighted match. Danison remembers one of the attendants crying, "Oh, my God! Somebody help me!" and then calling for "water, contact solution, anything you have." Passengers passed cups and glasses back to the scene.

Only, it wasn’t Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, no, it was Richard Reid and this story was from Time, By MICHAEL ELLIOTT Saturday, Feb. 16, 2002.

The Shoe Bomber's World - TIME

US Jet flying in from a European country with a suspected al Qaeda initiate on board carrying concealed explosives that is subdued by passengers.

Déjà vu????

This has not only happened before, but it was after 9/11 and on the Republican watch.

Do you realize that if proper security measures were put in place after that attack, we might NOT be having this conversation?

In spite of this happening on Republican’s watch, they use it to go after Obama. Even after Republicans voted AGAINST funding for the Transportation Security Agency, voted against bomb detectors (I think they were worried about “privacy”, but I could be wrong) and Senator Jim DeMint, a South Carolina Republican, is leading the charge against ratifying Obama’s nominee to head the TSA.

They didn’t do ANYTHING after the first time it happened, ON REPUBLCIAN WATCH, why are they so concerned now? Are they hoping this is Obama’s “Waterloo”? Do they think this might help Obama “FAIL”?

Worse, they are going after Obama for not speaking out “fast enough”. Honestly, I don’t remember Bush or the Republicans saying ANYTHING about the first attack. I wonder how long it took Bush to speak about the first attack? Was it a week? More?

Did they ever even talk about it?

Am I wrong? Does the Republican Party always put politics AHEAD of the good of the country?

Ah yes, the Republicans went on and on about how great it was that Richard Reid was prosecuted in Federal Court, was subject to the US Justice system and is spending the rest of his life in Maximum Security. How well the system “worked”. They marveled at Bush’s handling of the situation.

And now, a few short years later, “How dare Obama give this guy “citizen’s right” and prosecute him in a Federal Court.

W
T
F
????

Does the Republican Party ALWAYS have to put politics ahead of the country? Does it mean that much to Republicans if Obama “fails”? Are they looking this desperately for his “Waterloo”?

In a time of crisis Democrats were able to rally behind a Republican president. Republicans, in a time of crisis, look for political gain - disgusting.

I'm not a Democrat by any means - I disagree with a lot of their agenda. But if someone mistakes me for a Democrat, I do not feel nearly as insulted as when someone mistakes me for a Republican.

The 911 commission suggested better communication between all the entities involved with keeping us safe including contact with foreign inteities.

Bush had years to fix this and left it for Obama along with a screwed economy and a couple of wars, crumbling infrastructure massive debt to China to name a few problems.

Blaming the failure of HSA to prevent on Obama makes about as much sense as blaming Bush II for failing to prevent 9-11.

They're merely chief administrators, not GODS.

Blaming the failure of HSA to prevent on Obama makes about as much sense as blaming Bush II for failing to prevent 9-11.

Bush and the Republicans had two chances to put security measure in place. 9/11 and Richard Reid. How many chances do you get?

OMG OMG OMG

Me and EDITEC have the same opinion....holy shit the world is gonna end :lol:

But seriously I do agree with this statement.

To the rest of you who are either spinning this to attack obama or spinning it to say you can blame bush I only have one thing to say.....YOUR BLATANT BIAS MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE HACKS

Last edited:

Bush and the Republicans had two chances to put security measure in place. 9/11 and Richard Reid. How many chances do you get?

Actually, Bush had a chance to at least put some security measures into effect prior to 9-11. There were over 50 warnings concerning an impending attack.

The attack still might not be prevented. However, at least we might have had some respect for Bush. As is, the totallity of the efforts on the part of his administration prior to 9-11 was zero. And then there was the matter of Bush's statement six months after 9-11, "Bin Laden is not a concern of mine". 3000 Americans murdered on American soil, and the perpretator of that attack is not a concern of the American President? Unbelievable. Even today, unbelievable.

True dat. Just don't expect the whiners to agree with you.

Actually, Bush had a chance to at least put some security measures into effect prior to 9-11. There were over 50 warnings concerning an impending attack.

The attack still might not be prevented. However, at least we might have had some respect for Bush. As is, the totallity of the efforts on the part of his administration prior to 9-11 was zero. And then there was the matter of Bush's statement six months after 9-11, "Bin Laden is not a concern of mine". 3000 Americans murdered on American soil, and the perpretator of that attack is not a concern of the American President? Unbelievable. Even today, unbelievable.

WE had warnings about this specific guy too...yet...i dont find the urge to bash obama over the head with that fact.

His father, a powerful politician, actually contacted our government 2 times about his son......so does that mean its obama's fault our government failed to take his calls serious enough? I say no but according to your logic above it is obama's fault.

They stopped inviting the experts to the meetings when they continued to talk of Bin Laden before 911. They lost people like john O'Neill who tried and tried to warn them.

O'Neill died in the twin towers on his first week as security head for the towers.

In spite of this happening on Republican’s watch, they use it to go after Obama. Even after Republicans voted AGAINST funding for the Transportation Security Agency, voted against bomb detectors (I think they were worried about “privacy”, but I could be wrong) and Senator Jim DeMint, a South Carolina Republican, is leading the charge against ratifying Obama’s nominee to head the TSA.

At least the Dems (God bless their little misguided souls) were able to put politics aside in order to address a crisis. All the Republicans can seem to do is continue to wage their own political jihad.

It's disjusting.

The Repubs are suffering from a bad case of jeolosy. President Obama is demonstrating strong competance as POTUS. And he is achieving a great deal in spite of the Repubs Do Nothing At All campaign.

In a time of crisis Democrats were able to rally behind a Republican president. Republicans, in a time of crisis, look for political gain - disgusting.

I'm not a Democrat by any means - I disagree with a lot of their agenda. But if someone mistakes me for a Democrat, I do not feel nearly as insulted as when someone mistakes me for a Republican.

What happened on 9/11/01 that brought about the uniting of this country? Yes, we (Democrats and Republicans) did unite for a time back then.

What has happened since 1/20/09 that would even remotely compare to 9/11/01 and bring about an uniting of this country? A thwarted terrorists attack that neither hurt nor killed any one? Well, the terrorist seems to be missing a part of his anatomy but other than that? A stimulus package? Lost jobs? oh excuse me, he saved jobs. The systematic attempt to completely destroy a segment of the U.S. Economy, a large segment of the U.S. Economy I might add?

What do we have to bring this country together at this time?

I am not a Republican. Nor do I hope that the President fails, although I do hope that healthcare package gets sent back to the drawing board. But, I cannot think of anything that calls for a group hug at the moment.

Also, please don't tell me that the Democrats were hugging the Republicans before 9/11. It was quite contentous before the attack.

Immie

What happened on 9/11/01 that brought about the uniting of this country? Yes, we (Democrats and Republicans) did unite for a time back then.

What has happened since 1/20/09 that would even remotely compare to 9/11/01 and bring about an uniting of this country? A thwarted terrorists attack that neither hurt nor killed any one? Well, the terrorist seems to be missing a part of his anatomy but other than that? A stimulus package? Lost jobs? oh excuse me, he saved jobs. The systematic attempt to completely destroy a segment of the U.S. Economy, a large segment of the U.S. Economy I might add?

I am not a Republican. Nor do I hope that the President fails, although I do hope that healthcare package gets sent back to the drawing board. But, I cannot think of anything that calls for a group hug at the moment.

Also, please don't tell me that the Democrats were hugging the Republicans before 9/11. It was quite contentous before the attack.

Immie

There was no reason to "hug" Republicans before the attack. If we listened to Republicans, we would have no Social Security, no Medicare, no Medicaid, no Child Dependancy Laws, no healthcare bil, no taxes on companies, no regulations, no minimum wage. They do nothing for the middle class except to tell them of the opportunities they can get in the military, even while debating which military benefits to cut.

As far as the healthcare bill, it wasn't much. Republicans did an outstanding job of "fear mongering". But there were some good things. Say there is a family of four. The son has an allergy, the father gets cancer. Now the law says the father can't be dropped just because he got sick. However, the insurance company can point to the son and say he has a "pre-existing" condition and DROP THE ENTIRE FAMILY. Because of this bill, not anymore. Problem, it doesn't take effect until 2014.

Here is a link to a summary:

Health Care Bill Contains Key Cost-Cutting Provisions Championed By Cantwell - Local News - KBKW Newsroom -

You can't win a ballgame in the first inning. For one, the bill hasn't been ratified as law. That will take time and more votes.

However, if you have no bill, you have nothing to add stuff to. SSN wasn't an "overnitght" bill. Neither was Medicare. They evolved. This one will too.

America has to learn. That will take time. Eventually, Americans get tired of Republcian fear mongering and lies. But they take time to get past.

Look at "death panels". Republicans had many American convinced that Obama wanted "death panels". We now know the real death panels are the insurance companies that stand between you and your doctor. They decide surgery and theapy based on profits and not the good of the patient. There are endless reports of people who were denied surgery or dropped altogether because of an expensive illness. Those are the death panels. Republicans call that "good business".

Immie

There was no reason to "hug" Republicans before the attack. If we listened to Republicans, we would have no Social Security, no Medicare, no Medicaid, no Child Dependancy Laws, no healthcare bil, no taxes on companies, no regulations, no minimum wage. They do nothing for the middle class except to tell them of the opportunities they can get in the military, even while debating which military benefits to cut.

As far as the healthcare bill, it wasn't much. Republicans did an outstanding job of "fear mongering". But there were some good things. Say there is a family of four. The son has an allergy, the father gets cancer. Now the law says the father can't be dropped just because he got sick. However, the insurance company can point to the son and say he has a "pre-existing" condition and DROP THE ENTIRE FAMILY. Because of this bill, not anymore. Problem, it doesn't take effect until 2014.

Here is a link to a summary:

Health Care Bill Contains Key Cost-Cutting Provisions Championed By Cantwell - Local News - KBKW Newsroom -

You can't win a ballgame in the first inning. For one, the bill hasn't been ratified as law. That will take time and more votes.

However, if you have no bill, you have nothing to add stuff to. SSN wasn't an "overnitght" bill. Neither was Medicare. They evolved. This one will too.

America has to learn. That will take time. Eventually, Americans get tired of Republcian fear mongering and lies. But they take time to get past.

Look at "death panels". Republicans had many American convinced that Obama wanted "death panels". We now know the real death panels are the insurance companies that stand between you and your doctor. They decide surgery and theapy based on profits and not the good of the patient. There are endless reports of people who were denied surgery or dropped altogether because of an expensive illness. Those are the death panels. Republicans call that "good business".

Not going to comment on all of that except that you make some good points although I do not fully agree with you.

What I will comment on is the statement about hugging Republicans before 9/11. I didn't say you did nor did I say you should have. What I was commenting on was that after 9/11 Democrats put away the partisan bickering for a little while and for that time... we were one country. One should not have expected it to last, but for a while we were United once again.

Immie

Someone tried to bring down a packed passenger jet. After 9/11 and you would think the government would have a better handle on these types of events. Read the following story:

It was the scream that people noticed. Monique Danison, an American college student, had just finished lunch on the overseas to the US American Airlines Flight when she heard a woman cry out in terror. "When someone screams the way she did," says Danison, "you know something bad is happening."
Bad is right.
A passenger on the Boeing 767, was trying to light a fuse witnesses say. According to the FBI, there were enough high explosives to blow a hole in the fuselage of the aircraft. But the attempted bombing was foiled. Two flight attendants struggled with the man after one of them noticed the sulfurous smell of a lighted match. Danison remembers one of the attendants crying, "Oh, my God! Somebody help me!" and then calling for "water, contact solution, anything you have." Passengers passed cups and glasses back to the scene.

Only, it wasn’t Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, no, it was Richard Reid and this story was from Time, By MICHAEL ELLIOTT Saturday, Feb. 16, 2002.

US Jet flying in from a European country with a suspected al Qaeda initiate on board carrying concealed explosives that is subdued by passengers.

Déjà vu????

This has not only happened before, but it was after 9/11 and on the Republican watch.

Do you realize that if proper security measures were put in place after that attack, we might NOT be having this conversation?

They didn’t do ANYTHING after the first time it happened, ON REPUBLCIAN WATCH, why are they so concerned now? Are they hoping this is Obama’s “Waterloo”? Do they think this might help Obama “FAIL”?

Worse, they are going after Obama for not speaking out “fast enough”. Honestly, I don’t remember Bush or the Republicans saying ANYTHING about the first attack. I wonder how long it took Bush to speak about the first attack? Was it a week? More?

Am I wrong? Does the Republican Party always put politics AHEAD of the good of the country?

Ah yes, the Republicans went on and on about how great it was that Richard Reid was prosecuted in Federal Court, was subject to the US Justice system and is spending the rest of his life in Maximum Security. How well the system “worked”. They marveled at Bush’s handling of the situation.

And now, a few short years later, “How dare Obama give this guy “citizen’s right” and prosecute him in a Federal Court.

W
T
F
????

Does the Republican Party ALWAYS have to put politics ahead of the country? Does it mean that much to Republicans if Obama “fails”? Are they looking this desperately for his “Waterloo”?

Yes they do and yes they are.

Bad is right.

Déjà vu????

W
T
F
????

The answer is short and sweet. YES!!!!!

Forum List

Back