Obama....'recess appointments'...and GOP tactics

Congress should have thirty days to approve or disapprove an appointment. After thirty days the appointment becomes official without Congress whether they are in session or not

Perfect and sound idea....surely 30 days should be enough for those camera whores to strut their approval or dissent.

On another thread, some of our "sweethearts" of the right wing mindset reminded us that Obama has been "slapped down" 12 or 13 times by the Supreme Court for overstepping his executive authority and had basically "broken: the law.......

However, one particular rejection caught my eye.....the one about RECESS APPOINTMENTS........That one was interesting because I had read that Obama was particularly angered by this related SC decision and that the Court had actually gone along with the Republican senate shameless practices and tactics.

The current guidelines state that a president can make an appointment during congressional recess periods IF congress is in recess for MORE than 3 days...and, Obama DID follow the "letter" of that guideline........However, read what the "clever" republicans did to thwart his efforts.....

Since May 2011, Republicans have been relying on a little-known procedure to keep the Senate in session, even when it was not really conducting any business, in order to stop the President from making those recess appointments. The legal basis comes from a 1993 Department of Justice brief saying the president should act only if the Senate is in official recess more than three days.

So, party leaders have arranged for a single Republican lawmaker to show up every three days and gavel the Senate to order, wait around for about 30 seconds, gavel it to a close, then leave.

YOU JUDGE the ethics of the republican senate......

I guess you're just too ignorant to know the commiecrats did the exact same thing to Bush on several occasions. Carry on hypocrite.

Nat

No this topic is really about letting Obama bypass the Constitution. Heck, the Supreme Court even says so

Score:
Constitution 2
Obama 1

You lose.

I guess you're just too ignorant to know the commiecrats did the exact same thing to Bush on several occasions. Carry on hypocrite.

Any proof of that besides what Rush ordered you to think?

But Congress is not approving appointments which hurts the operation of the government..
That's fine win me. The more the government grinds to a halt, the better.
Yeah, it helps catapult the propaganda that government doesn't work. It would work just fine if we could get rid of all the obstructionist republicans that refuse to let it work.

Congress should have thirty days to approve or disapprove an appointment. After thirty days the appointment becomes official without Congress whether they are in session or not

Will you hold that same opinion when Ted Cruz is President?

This may seem like a trick question, but it is not.

Last edited:

Perfect and sound idea....surely 30 days should be enough for those camera whores to strut their approval or dissent.

Congress should not have the authority to shut down the executive branch or the judicial branch through inaction

If the want the right to approve or disapprove appointments, they should use it

Since it is purely fantasy as it regards to Cruz....Yes.....I think the President should be allowed to pick the people in his branch

But Congress is not approving appointments which hurts the operation of the government..
Yeah, it helps catapult the propaganda that government doesn't work. It would work just fine if we could get rid of all the obstructionist republicans that refuse to let it work.

If by "working" you mean oppressing and looting the productive citizens of this country. Government performs no services that I want it to perform. None. For government to grind to a complete halt would be the best thing that ever happened to this country.

Congress should not have the authority to shut down the executive branch or the judicial branch through inaction

I'll bet you think Congress should just take orders from Obama and do whatever he tells it to do.

Since it is purely fantasy as it regards to Cruz....Yes.....I think the President should be allowed to pick the people in his branch
I don't agree with this tactic no matter who the president is. The President should get to select the people he wants. The congress should give an up or down vote on the selection.

Thank you for being honest. When a Republican is President, and starts appointing your worst nightmares, I am going to endlessly remind you of your honesty. It should be lots of fun.

Chuckle...

Right! When Harry Reid wouldn't bring a budget up for a vote, you were all good with that though, weren't you?

If by "working" you mean oppressing and looting the productive citizens of this country. Government performs no services that I want it to perform. None. For government to grind to a complete halt would be the best thing that ever happened to this country.
Yeah, I'm sure that repugs would just love it if there was no government oversight. Business could do whatever it wanted. Polluters could pollute freely. Banksters could fleece the public. National treasures could be sold off to the highest bidder. We could become a republican dream state like Somalia in no time at all.

Nat

If Obama doesn't like the fact that the Constitution gives Congress a say on appointments, maybe he should make up a law overturning the Constitution.

I'll bet you think Congress should just take orders from Obama and do whatever he tells it to do.

I think Congress should do its job

Forum List

Back