Obama....'recess appointments'...and GOP tactics

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
On another thread, some of our "sweethearts" of the right wing mindset reminded us that Obama has been "slapped down" 12 or 13 times by the Supreme Court for overstepping his executive authority and had basically "broken: the law.......

However, one particular rejection caught my eye.....the one about RECESS APPOINTMENTS........That one was interesting because I had read that Obama was particularly angered by this related SC decision and that the Court had actually gone along with the Republican senate shameless practices and tactics.

The current guidelines state that a president can make an appointment during congressional recess periods IF congress is in recess for MORE than 3 days...and, Obama DID follow the "letter" of that guideline........However, read what the "clever" republicans did to thwart his efforts.....

Since May 2011, Republicans have been relying on a little-known procedure to keep the Senate in session, even when it was not really conducting any business, in order to stop the President from making those recess appointments. The legal basis comes from a 1993 Department of Justice brief saying the president should act only if the Senate is in official recess more than three days.

So, party leaders have arranged for a single Republican lawmaker to show up every three days and gavel the Senate to order, wait around for about 30 seconds, gavel it to a close, then leave.

YOU JUDGE the ethics of the republican senate......

The Constitution also says Congress gets to approve appointments, so the little dictator's end run didn't work. Quit your whining and just be glad the Idiot has a babysitter. He needs one.

• Banned
The Constitution also says Congress gets to approve appointments, so the little dictator's end run didn't work. Quit your whining and just be glad the Idiot has a babysitter. He needs one.

Moonglow is correct (above)......and you just confirmed that ethics (and sanity) are an anathema for the current right wing cadre.

Moonglow

Maybe it's because Obama is nominating his fellow idiots. Nominate someone with more than 2 functioning brain cells.

Nat

Look on the bright side. The Republicans have someone showing up for work. Unlike Hillary, who forgot to come in for 2 months during Bengazi. Or did she just have a senior moment and forgot to email home?

Do you right wingers really think that (oh, maybe 30 years from now or so) when a republicans president finally steps in the WH that these tactics will be forgotten by democrat in congress?

Maybe it's because Obama is nominating his fellow idiots. Nominate someone with more than 2 functioning brain cells.

If any of you R-W'ers had even an inkling of what ethics are, you'd know that Obama could nominate Mother Theresa and tea party scum buckets would STILL refuse to approve her appointment.......Why?.....well, cowardice comes to mind.

Nat

Quit whining and face the facts. When Obama nominates an idiot, the adults can say no. Read the Constitution .

Quit whining and face the facts. When Obama nominates an idiot, the adults can say no. Read the Constitution

Then say NO in an open for discussion, debated and televised session....rather than pull these 5th grade stunts......This is what we now call leadership?....This is earning your government pay by republicans? This I earning the title of "honorable senator so-n-so?

What is REALLY putrid is that the partisan-hack justices at the SC actually went along with this sham......rendering the rest of their decisions "questionable"

Nat

Actually, I agree with open discussions. I agree with open televised hearings, too. When does Hillary's next one start?

Actually, I agree with open discussions. I agree with open televised hearings, too. When does Hillary's next one start?

Evading the current topic?????

there'll be PLENTY of time to tackle the issue of Hillary (of whom I am not a big fan.)

Last edited:
Nat

Quit whining and face the facts. When Obama nominates an idiot, the adults can say no. Read the Constitution .

I don't really care whether you believe me or not....However, I would be just as irate over these types of stunts had democrats done it.

This crap makes our form of government the equivalent of street gang tactics.

If any of you R-W'ers had even an inkling of what ethics are, you'd know that Obama could nominate Mother Theresa and tea party scum buckets would STILL refuse to approve her appointment.......Why?.....well, cowardice comes to mind.
All of the President's nominees have been well qualified, unlike some of the idiots Bush came up with - Brownie comes to mind. It is just a repug tactic. They can't kill a government office, but they can keep the President from appointing a head. Then they can bitch about government not working - after they do their best to keep it from working.

Nat

I answered your questions.

I also pointed out how the left screams for transparency from the Republicans, while they hide their own actions from the public in order to conceal their machinations.

Why don't you start a thread on transparency in government where we can discuss that?

Last edited:
Congress should have thirty days to approve or disapprove an appointment. After thirty days the appointment becomes official without Congress whether they are in session or not

Nat

I answered your questions.

I also pointed out how the left screams for transparency from the Republicans, while they hide their own actions from the public in order to conceal their machinations.

Why don't you start a thread on transparency in government where we can discuss that?

This topic is really not about transparency......its more about cheap sabotage by this current batch of republicans/tea partiers.....

Again, we can talk about transparency, Hillary, the price of tomatoes, phases of the moon in other threads.

Forum List

Back