Obama Plans to Scrap Missle Defense Shield?

The BEST we could ever hope for is LIMITED coverage and I would rather not get TOO comfortable relying on a system that will not kill more than a portion of NUCLEAR WEAPONS! Now if you are going to use the whole "Rogue Nation" BS then tell me WHY they would use a missile to deliver a nuke to ANY country in the world. Put it on a ship and detonate about a mile off the shore of L.A. would that not be a better delivery system for a "ROGUE NATION"?

All we'd really need is around 10 or 15 of those really cool AEGIS destroyers that have ICBM missile kill capability.

That way, when the country we're defending screws us over, we can bring our missiles home.

Hey thats a pretty good idea.

ColdFusion I appreciate that you don't think the missle shields are a good way to spend our defense dollars but with nations like china and russia soon to be wanting to fight a war over middle east oil access it would be nice to have that deterrent in place, just for future saber rattling that will happen regardless of how mean or nice the USA plays on the international stage.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, i just disagree.

All we'd really need is around 10 or 15 of those really cool AEGIS destroyers that have ICBM missile kill capability.

That way, when the country we're defending screws us over, we can bring our missiles home.

ColdFusion I appreciate that you don't think the missle shields are a good way to spend our defense dollars but with nations like china and russia soon to be wanting to fight a war over middle east oil access it would be nice to have that deterrent in place, just for future saber rattling that will happen regardless of how mean or nice the USA plays on the international stage.

The point is that a MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD will NEVER be capable of stopping a MAJOR attack by a major power. NO WAY and it NEVER will. Just the facts buddy. So tell me if it won't protect us from that type of attack then what good is it?

The point is that a MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD will NEVER be capable of stopping a MAJOR attack by a major power. NO WAY and it NEVER will. Just the facts buddy. So tell me if it won't protect us from that type of attack then what good is it?

That one's easy. "MAD" handles the MAJOR attack by a major power. Its worked since 1945 and should work a lot longer.
It is good enough to stop a 2nd rate power like NK with a nutball leader or a terrorist organization who buys a few missiles and warheads. It can stop a limited attack and pay for itself many times over.

Actually, with the targeting and tracking tweaks that they've made on the AEGIS system, it works a WHOLE LOT BETTER now.

They've also got mobile launchers that they are working on so they can have land based systems that work like the AEGIS one.

And........like I said...........use the mobile systems (ships, vehicles) so that whenever our relations cool off with some nation, we can bring our shit home and they can fend for themselves.

And yes.........with the current climate, technology capable of shooting down ICBM's is kinda needed.

Actually, with the targeting and tracking tweaks that they've made on the AEGIS system, it works a WHOLE LOT BETTER now.

They've also got mobile launchers that they are working on so they can have land based systems that work like the AEGIS one.

And........like I said...........use the mobile systems (ships, vehicles) so that whenever our relations cool off with some nation, we can bring our shit home and they can fend for themselves.

And yes.........with the current climate, technology capable of shooting down ICBM's is kinda needed.

This is basically what I was going to say ColdFusion. I think in the years to come, if we keep developing it, we could have a system that could actually protect us from a large scale attack.

it's clear you havent been following the system very well
its not designed to take on a full scale nuke attack from a major power

So dive considering the last few posts you don't think people beleive that MDS will SAVE US from a full scale attack.....

The fact is that no matter well developed you make it it will NEVER be able to take out 5,000 missiles and THAT'S A FACT. May be good for a regional shield but would hate to have to explain it if it doesn't work

So dive considering the last few posts you don't think people beleive that MDS will SAVE US from a full scale attack.....

The fact is that no matter well developed you make it it will NEVER be able to take out 5,000 missiles and THAT'S A FACT. May be good for a regional shield but would hate to have to explain it if it doesn't work
it was not designed to cover an all out nuke attack
it would be overwhelmed
and if you had been paying attention to the system design and the rational behind it, it will do the job it is designed to do
but
even being overwhelmed, it would still stop a number that would have hit otherwise

it was not designed to cover an all out nuke attack
it would be overwhelmed
and if you had been paying attention to the system design and the rational behind it, it will do the job it is designed to do
but
even being overwhelmed, it would still stop a number that would have hit otherwise

Tell me what good it would be against a "Rogue Nation". Why would Iran for example fire a missile against another country when they have SO MANY other options to deliver a nuke weapon.

Hey, Cold Fussing.......ever hear of a dude named Kim Jon Il?

He's a rogue nation. He's also got nukes. He's also got ICBM's.

Yeah.......I kinda think that the AEGIS would do a world of good there. How about you? If not, then you've got too narrow a world view.

Yeah.......I kinda think that the AEGIS would do a world of good there. How about you? If not, then you've got too narrow a world view.

So Biker you don't think that delivering a nuke device on a cargo ship to park it right off the coast near LA would be a bit less OBVIOUS and totally unstoppable by our "MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD!!!???

That one's easy. "MAD" handles the MAJOR attack by a major power. Its worked since 1945 and should work a lot longer.
It is good enough to stop a 2nd rate power like NK with a nutball leader or a terrorist organization who buys a few missiles and warheads. It can stop a limited attack and pay for itself many times over.

Ah kysr that would be true if the balance remained, however if that balance were to CHANGE i.e. we could launch against them but we could "SHIELD" against THEIR missiles then we would be undermining MAD don't ya think?

This is basically what I was going to say ColdFusion. I think in the years to come, if we keep developing it, we could have a system that could actually protect us from a large scale attack.

So we tip the scales of MAD and FORCE those super powers to do something about it. We would FORCE them to attack with nukes BEFORE our system was completely on-line.

Sorry bud I am going to have to call you out on this one........BULLSHIT! I would LOVE for you to PROVE your claim and let's not read......."I've got a top secret clearence" so I can't PROVE what I know about.

No way EVER will we be able to fend off a FULL SCALE attack. We would be talking about THOUSANDS of reentry vehicles that would overwhelm ANY "defense shield".

Sorry Dive I read the post wrong as it says that a MDS would NOT be usefull in a major attack but you do see many here who claim that it could.

Last edited:

So Biker you don't think that delivering a nuke device on a cargo ship to park it right off the coast near LA would be a bit less OBVIOUS and totally unstoppable by our "MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD!!!???

Actually, the kind of bomb you speak of isn't really a nuke, it's a "dirty bomb" which means that there isn't an EMP and shockwave, just lots of radiation distributed around in the air, and it is a weapon that is primarily used by terrorists. The main danger is more the radioactive dirt and dust rather than the blast itself.

You're right, we'd have to use other ways to find the bomb. However, we should already have those in place, as that is the nuclear weapon of choice of terrorists. Why? They can't get their hands on an actual nuclear device.

As far as an actual bomb? Well......the signature given off by them is quite a bit, so we would be able to find it quickly and stop it if it was on a ship, therefore, the countries that currently have nukes send them via missiles against their enemies, so in that case, an AEGIS type cruiser equipped with the radar and missiles that can take out another missile makes perfect sense.

And yes, they have tweaked it enough that it is now quite accurate.

And this isn't from research either dude........it's from experience being a member of the NBC warfare team for 20 years in the Navy.

Forum List

Back