Obama knew from the beginning that oil leak would likely last months

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
So much for the "Obama didn't know how bad it was" claims.

"The White House appears resigned to living with the BP oil spill for some time to come. But that’s not surprising—since President Obama and his team were briefed from the outset that the blowout at the Deepwater Horizons rig was epic in scope—and would not be fixable for a long, long time."

"The real disgrace here is why, if he really did know right away that this was the oil equivalent of an asteroid strike, he didn’t scramble some sort of all-hands-on-deck emergency operation to protect the coastline. Remember, Jindal reportedly requested five million feet of hard boom back on May 2, long after Obama (according to Wolffe) knew about the magnitude of the disaster. By May 24, not even 800,000 feet had arrived. What happened?"

Hot Air Report: Obama knew from the beginning that oil leak would likely last months

"The White House appears resigned to living with the BP oil spill for some time to come. But that’s not surprising—since President Obama and his team were briefed from the outset that the blowout at the Deepwater Horizons rig was epic in scope—and would not be fixable for a long, long time."

"The real disgrace here is why, if he really did know right away that this was the oil equivalent of an asteroid strike, he didn’t scramble some sort of all-hands-on-deck emergency operation to protect the coastline. Remember, Jindal reportedly requested five million feet of hard boom back on May 2, long after Obama (according to Wolffe) knew about the magnitude of the disaster. By May 24, not even 800,000 feet had arrived. What happened?"

Hot Air Report: Obama knew from the beginning that oil leak would likely last months

You're not making any sense. Knowing that it would be very bad is not the same as knowing exactly how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

And being told that it would take probably months to fix is not the same as knowing how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

Wolfe can make any claim he wants about what Obama knew, but the facts show that it was only recently that an independent group of scientists made an estimate, and even now they still don't know how much oil is leaking. So how could anyone know how bad it was going to be?

[/quote]

I'm really not sure how much more Obama should have done here. I don't even have words to describe how I feel about the magnitude of this disaster, but I get the impression that some who would slam Obama just for getting up in the morning think he should have camped out on a recovery vessel in the middle of the Gulf.

The criticism of Obama for going golfing now reminds me of the criticism Bush received during the height of the Katrina crises. Both are cheap shots taken instead of arguing an issue on its merits and, as such, are nothing more than distractions.

You're not making any sense. Knowing that it would be very bad is not the same as knowing exactly how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

And being told that it would take probably months to fix is not the same as knowing how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

Wolfe can make any claim he wants about what Obama knew, but the facts show that it was only recently that an independent group of scientists made an estimate, and even now they still don't know how much oil is leaking. So how could anyone know how bad it was going to be?

You should ask Carol Browner that as she was the one that briefed Obama. When you do, would you please ask her why it's taken so long to get the hard boom to Louisiana?

You should ask Carol Browner that as she was the one that briefed Obama. When you do, would you please ask her why it's taken so long to get the hard boom to Louisiana?

Another "govt is the problem" conservative who is waiting for the nanny state govt to bail them out.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

How come your beloved "free market" isn't delivering the booms? How come your beloved Bobby "We don't need the feds" Jindal isn't doing it himself?

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

Here, the hypocrit Jindal praises a sheriff for ignoring the feds when they said the sherriff couldn't do what needs to be done. But the hypocrit is too cowardly to do the same thing himself

Last edited:
As much as I cannot stand Mr Obama, I do want truth to be known.

The 510th Airwing, of the Air National Guard, (the only Unit with fixed wing spray capabilities in the US military) has had 2 C130's spraying the oil slicks since 1 May.

Why only 2, I don't know. What good the dispersing agents are doing, I also don't know.

Your apparent stupidity is fast becoming legendary here on USMB....even eclipsing CurveLight and on the road to beating rdean!!!!

Hint for the terminally stupid...such as yourself...
When you see a GIANT OIL SLICK FROM SPACE????!!!!...LIKE THE SATELLITE PHOTO'S OBAMA SAW???!!! IT'S PRETTY FUCKING BAD!!!!

Your apparent stupidity is fast becoming legendary here on USMB....even eclipsing CurveLight and on the road to beating rdean!!!!

When you see a GIANT OIL SLICK FROM SPACE????!!!!...LIKE THE SATELLITE PHOTO'S OBAMA SAW???!!! IT'S PRETTY FUCKING BAD!!!!

If you think the oil slick could be seen from space from the beginning YOU ARE PRETTY FUCKING STUPID

If you think the oil slick could be seen from space from the beginning YOU ARE PRETTY FUCKING STUPID

Ummmmm....yes...it could be seen by the naked eye from weather satellite photos from DAY 2!!!

Another "govt is the problem" conservative who is waiting for the nanny state govt to bail them out.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

How come your beloved "free market" isn't delivering the booms? How come your beloved Bobby "We don't need the feds" Jindal isn't doing it himself?

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

Here, the hypocrit Jindal praises a sheriff for ignoring the feds when they said the sherriff couldn't do what needs to be done. But the hypocrit is too cowardly to do the same thing himself

No deflections please. You asked how could any one know how bad it was going to be. Carol Browner said she knew. It's up to you to find out how she knew, because I'm prepared to take her word for it. It does indeed appear to have met her expectations of "an epic environmental disaster". Obama hired her to advise him so I assume he was taking her at her word back in April as well.

As to the required boom... this spill was in federal water and it was the federal government's job to contain it. Obama has let his problem become a problem for state governors.

Regarding the conservative belief that small government is better, Bobby Jindal says it more eloquently that I can..

Tapper also pushed Jindal, an avowed conservative, to reconcile his belief in small government with his demands for more federal assistance.

“When government grows too big, it doesn't do its core functions properly,” he said. “Absolutely, I believe in a limited government that is effective and competent in what it does. We need federal government exactly -- we need our federal government exactly for this kind of crisis."

Louisiana Gov. Jindal to Obama: Give Us More Power on Oil Spill - Political Punch
"

Perhaps if Obama had fewer things to attend to he would have listened to Browner and reacted more swiftly.

Ummmmm....yes...it could be seen by the naked eye from weather satellite photos from DAY 2!!!

You are just too dumb to remember what you wrote, so I'll quote

When you see a GIANT OIL SLICK FROM SPACE????!!!!...

Not "when you see a picture from space that's been magnified"

Only a coward would run away from their own words

You gotta be shitting me.

No deflections please. You asked how could any one know how bad it was going to be. Carol Browner said she knew.

Wrong. Carol Browner said she knew it was going to be very bad, but she didn't say she knew how bad it would be.

NO ONE KNOWS HOW BAD IT WILL BE

It's up to you to find out how she knew, because I'm prepared to take her word for it. I
No, it's up to you to stop twisting what she said. Please provide a quote where she says she "knew how bad it would be" because right now, no one knows how bad it will be.

As to the required boom... this spill was in federal water and it was the federal government's job to contain it. Obama has let his problem become a problem for state governors.

Once again, why doesn't Jindal act on his convictions and ignore the lack of fed permission as he praised a sheriff for doing? Why is he such a coward?

And it's not a fed responsibility to clean up the spill. It's BP's responsibility. And their is no way to contain it.

david-horsey-cartoon20100603.jpg

Regarding the conservative belief that small government is better, Bobby Jindal says it more eloquently that I can..

Tapper also pushed Jindal, an avowed conservative, to reconcile his belief in small government with his demands for more federal assistance.

“When government grows too big, it doesn't do its core functions properly,” he said. “Absolutely, I believe in a limited government that is effective and competent in what it does. We need federal government exactly -- we need our federal government exactly for this kind of crisis."

Jindal lies. As my link clearly shows, Jindal doesn't believe that it's the feds job to help the states with their problem. As Reagan said "Govt is not the solution; govt is the problem"

AT least, until the govt *is* the solution

MorinJ20100604_low.jpg

Louisiana Gov. Jindal to Obama: Give Us More Power on Oil Spill - Political Punch
"

Perhaps if Obama had fewer things to attend to he would have listened to Browner and reacted more swiftly.[/QUOTE]

Obama has his plate full, no doubt about that. But, he is the president, and can make a huge difference if he makes the right decision here. As per John Hofmeister, ex ceo of Shell:
"We need to suck up the oil, before it gets to shore, and before it spreads, and is split up
with toxic dispersant used by BP". This method was used before in the Persian Gulf very
successfully. It is the only logical method for handling this size of spill. The longer Obama waits before making this decision, the worse it will be. Regardless of whether or not the leak is stopped, there will be a huge amount of oil to clean up.

If stupidity was represented by grains of sand your level of stupidity would encompass the entire Sahara desert.

No deflections please. You asked how could any one know how bad it was going to be. Carol Browner said she knew.

Wrong. Carol Browner said she knew it was going to be very bad, but she didn't say she knew how bad it would be.

NO ONE KNOWS HOW BAD IT WILL BE

No, it's up to you to stop twisting what she said. Please provide a quote where she says she "knew how bad it would be" because right now, no one knows how bad it will be.

Once again, why doesn't Jindal act on his convictions and ignore the lack of fed permission as he praised a sheriff for doing? Why is he such a coward?

And it's not a fed responsibility to clean up the spill. It's BP's responsibility. And their is no way to contain it.

david-horsey-cartoon20100603.jpg

Jindal lies. As my link clearly shows, Jindal doesn't believe that it's the feds job to help the states with their problem. As Reagan said "Govt is not the solution; govt is the problem"

AT least, until the govt *is* the solution

MorinJ20100604_low.jpg

"

Perhaps if Obama had fewer things to attend to he would have listened to Browner and reacted more swiftly.
[/QUOTE]

Wow..cartoons.. I'm impressed now. You'll have to go hunt your own quotes because as I said.. I'm taking her at her word that she knew this would be "epic".

I'm sorry if the information I presented about Jindal's thoughts on the government were too complicated for you to grasp. I'd thought I was dealing with someone with a three digit I.Q. but I'll try to keep it simple for you from here on in.

Governor Jindal has NO power to make BP do ANYTHING.

Governor Jindal believes that the federal government tries to involve itself in so many things that they can't do ANY of those things well.

In reality this is not Governor Jindal's problem to fix. It is OBAMA'S.

I know I didn't add colors or pretty picture's but I hope you can understand it now.

Carol Browner, director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy, told Obama at one of the earliest briefings in late April that the blowout would likely lead to an unprecedented environmental disaster, senior White House aides told The Daily Beast. Browner warned that capping a well at such depths had never been done before, and that they ought to expect an oil spill that would continue until a relief well was drilled in August, the aide said.

That early briefing on the scope of the spill—and enormous technical challenges involved in fixing it—might help explain the sense of fatalism that has infused Obama's team from the start.

Little that has happened since has changed their mind-set. Now six weeks later, the president’s top advisers expect the oil spill—and the negative stories—to continue through August.

The fact that Team Obama was warned of the extent of the disaster so early on suggests that White House officials were aware of the environmental challenge long before they decided to demonstrate concern via presidential visits to the Gulf.

Obama Briefed in April by Carol Browner On How Bad BP Spill Was - The Daily Beast

Forum List

Back