Obama knew from the beginning that oil leak would likely last months

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Vel, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    So much for the "Obama didn't know how bad it was" claims.

"The White House appears resigned to living with the BP oil spill for some time to come. But that’s not surprising—since President Obama and his team were briefed from the outset that the blowout at the Deepwater Horizons rig was epic in scope—and would not be fixable for a long, long time."

"The real disgrace here is why, if he really did know right away that this was the oil equivalent of an asteroid strike, he didn’t scramble some sort of all-hands-on-deck emergency operation to protect the coastline. Remember, Jindal reportedly requested five million feet of hard boom back on May 2, long after Obama (according to Wolffe) knew about the magnitude of the disaster. By May 24, not even 800,000 feet had arrived. What happened?"

Hot Air Report: Obama knew from the beginning that oil leak would likely last months

2. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You're not making any sense. Knowing that it would be very bad is not the same as knowing exactly how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

And being told that it would take probably months to fix is not the same as knowing how bad it would be, particularly since BP lied about how much oil was leaking at first.

Wolfe can make any claim he wants about what Obama knew, but the facts show that it was only recently that an independent group of scientists made an estimate, and even now they still don't know how much oil is leaking. So how could anyone know how bad it was going to be?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Dixie

Dixie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    [/quote]

I'm really not sure how much more Obama should have done here. I don't even have words to describe how I feel about the magnitude of this disaster, but I get the impression that some who would slam Obama just for getting up in the morning think he should have camped out on a recovery vessel in the middle of the Gulf.

The criticism of Obama for going golfing now reminds me of the criticism Bush received during the height of the Katrina crises. Both are cheap shots taken instead of arguing an issue on its merits and, as such, are nothing more than distractions.

4. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

You should ask Carol Browner that as she was the one that briefed Obama. When you do, would you please ask her why it's taken so long to get the hard boom to Louisiana?

5. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Another "govt is the problem" conservative who is waiting for the nanny state govt to bail them out.

How come your beloved "free market" isn't delivering the booms? How come your beloved Bobby "We don't need the feds" Jindal isn't doing it himself?

Here, the hypocrit Jindal praises a sheriff for ignoring the feds when they said the sherriff couldn't do what needs to be done. But the hypocrit is too cowardly to do the same thing himself

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    As much as I cannot stand Mr Obama, I do want truth to be known.

The 510th Airwing, of the Air National Guard, (the only Unit with fixed wing spray capabilities in the US military) has had 2 C130's spraying the oil slicks since 1 May.

Why only 2, I don't know. What good the dispersing agents are doing, I also don't know.

7. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Your apparent stupidity is fast becoming legendary here on USMB....even eclipsing CurveLight and on the road to beating rdean!!!!

Hint for the terminally stupid...such as yourself...
    When you see a GIANT OIL SLICK FROM SPACE????!!!!...LIKE THE SATELLITE PHOTO'S OBAMA SAW???!!! IT'S PRETTY FUCKING BAD!!!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. sangha

sangha Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you think the oil slick could be seen from space from the beginning YOU ARE PRETTY FUCKING STUPID

9. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Ummmmm....yes...it could be seen by the naked eye from weather satellite photos from DAY 2!!!

10. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

No deflections please. You asked how could any one know how bad it was going to be. Carol Browner said she knew. It's up to you to find out how she knew, because I'm prepared to take her word for it. It does indeed appear to have met her expectations of "an epic environmental disaster". Obama hired her to advise him so I assume he was taking her at her word back in April as well.

As to the required boom... this spill was in federal water and it was the federal government's job to contain it. Obama has let his problem become a problem for state governors.

Regarding the conservative belief that small government is better, Bobby Jindal says it more eloquently that I can..

Tapper also pushed Jindal, an avowed conservative, to reconcile his belief in small government with his demands for more federal assistance.

“When government grows too big, it doesn't do its core functions properly,” he said. “Absolutely, I believe in a limited government that is effective and competent in what it does. We need federal government exactly -- we need our federal government exactly for this kind of crisis."

Louisiana Gov. Jindal to Obama: Give Us More Power on Oil Spill - Political Punch
    "

Perhaps if Obama had fewer things to attend to he would have listened to Browner and reacted more swiftly.