Obama calls for rolling back oil 'tax breaks'

sangha

Jun 1, 2010

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama says it's time to roll back "billions of dollars in tax breaks" for oil companies and use the money for clean energy research and development.

Obama made the comments Wednesday in prepared remarks for a speech at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

He said the catastrophic Gulf oil spill shows the country must move toward clean energy by embracing energy efficiency, tapping natural gas and nuclear power and eliminating tax breaks for big oil.

Obama said that the Gulf spill "may prove to be a result of human error - or corporations taking dangerous shortcuts that compromised safety" - but that deepwater drilling is inherently risky and America cannot rely solely on fossil fuels.

I'm betting the "small govt" whiners on the right (who are waiting for their nanny state govt to solve the problem) will oppose getting rid of tax breaks for an industry that just destroyed millions of jobs in LA on the grounds that the oil industry needs the tax breaks to destroy more jobs.

I guess the wingnuts are in a tizzy trying to figure out how to respond. Either that, or they're too scared to even try

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama says it's time to roll back "billions of dollars in tax breaks" for oil companies and use the money for clean energy research and development.

Obama made the comments Wednesday in prepared remarks for a speech at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

He said the catastrophic Gulf oil spill shows the country must move toward clean energy by embracing energy efficiency, tapping natural gas and nuclear power and eliminating tax breaks for big oil.

Obama said that the Gulf spill "may prove to be a result of human error - or corporations taking dangerous shortcuts that compromised safety" - but that deepwater drilling is inherently risky and America cannot rely solely on fossil fuels.

I'm betting the "small govt" whiners on the right (who are waiting for their nanny state govt to solve the problem) will oppose getting rid of tax breaks for an industry that just destroyed millions of jobs in LA on the grounds that the oil industry needs the tax breaks to destroy more jobs.

yes, you stupid moron, that's just what the unemployed in LA need. Is more unemployment and higher gas prices.. You go boy!

Big oil is makiing plenty of money. Why should they get any tax breaks?

The jobs generated when those tax breaks were first set up are long gone.
More tax breaks just means more profits not more jobs.

when are you numbnuts ever gonna figure out that corporations don't pay taxes.. The consumer does.. The oil companies will compensate one way or another if their tax bill increases..

Obama said the Gulf spill MAY prove to be a result of human error....but what if it proves otherwise?

Why not wait until the investigation gives us the answer? This is the problem I have this dude....he's got a REAL problem with doing shit as a result of a knee jerk reaction without proper cause.

Why do Big Government Whiners on the left always think that the government is the answer? What exactly does a massive investment in green jobs do to an economy?

The price of green jobs? Learn from Spain - ICIS Green Chemicals

He's been hoping for something like this to happen......

Soon the oil companies will be toast

I laugh that Sangha just buys anything that daddy Obama spoon feeds him.

Here's reality for you little lib.

1. IF tax breaks are eliminated, oil prices will increase correspondingly and the consumer will pay the taxes. Unless of course Obama institutes a oil company profit czar which would introduce a whole nother set of problems.

2. Any money the government collects will simply disappear into the black hole known as the federal budget and very little if any of it would be put towards so called clean energy

You're amazing in your simplicity Sangha.

when are you numbnuts ever gonna figure out that corporations don't pay taxes.. The consumer does.. The oil companies will compensate one way or another if their tax bill increases..

When are you numbnuts ever gonna figure out that BP kills jobs?

I think you meant to type BO kills jobs.

1. IF tax breaks are eliminated, oil prices will increase correspondingly and the consumer will pay the taxes. Unless of course Obama institutes a oil company profit czar which would introduce a whole nother set of problems.

2. Any money the government collects will simply disappear into the black hole known as the federal budget and very little if any of it would be put towards so called clean energy

As I said, Obama has been hoping for something like this to come along so that he can make sure that oil prices are so out of sight and he has a scapegoat to blame it on....

Enjoy these low gas prices gang....you're about to lose your ass... every time you pay for gas.

How?

As I said, Obama has been hoping for something like this to come along so that he can make sure that oil prices are so out of sight and he has a scapegoat to blame it on....

Enjoy these low gas prices gang....you're about to lose your ass... every time you pay for gas.

What's pitiful is he isn't even sincere in his claimis that he want's clean energy or for us to get off foreign oil. Either that or he just truly hates capitalism, which he claims he loves.

Simple solution. Have a government sponsored contest, ANY person or company which can show that it produces clean, reliable, efficient electricity wins $100M tax free. I GUARANTEE that if they did that we would have clean energy within 3 years. The government actively discourages clean energy development with its own policies contrary to whatever lip service Obama gives it.

What's pitiful is he isn't even sincere in his claimis that he want's clean energy or for us to get off foreign oil. Either that or he just truly hates capitalism, which he claims he loves.

Simple solution. Have a government sponsored contest, ANY person or company which can show that it produces clean, reliable, efficient electricity wins $100M tax free. I GUARANTEE that if they did that we would have clean energy within 3 years. The government actively discourages clean energy development with its own policies contrary to whatever lip service Obama gives it.

You're just angry because you can't fight my argument that BP has killed jobs.

And you just want to reward them with tax breaks. Conservatives love to coddle criminals

I think you meant to type BO kills jobs.

I see you can't argue my point.:lol:

I accept your surrender

I won't argue your "point" b/c its nonsensical, just like you. BP kills jobs, how do you propose we argue that fool? I mean that would be like me stating that Martians like peanuts and then chiding you for not debating the point. HAHAHA you concede that Martians do indeed like peanuts. I accept your surrender.

You know you're a real moron when other people who might agree with some of your stances are looking around saying "man that dude is a moron"

Forum List

Back