Obama Job Killing Regulations

Ironic, conservatives expect the OWS folks to clean up after themselves, but not the coal barons.

These 32 plants have had a decade to clean up their plants. Instead, they took the money and thumbed their noses at the people. Comply or close...

Saying they had 10 years to clean up their plants is like saying Joe Bloe had 10 years to get ready for that drunk driver to hit him, so why didn't he avoid it?

The people are going to pay the cost of eliminating these plants is not the "coal barons." You're hooting about poor people paying more for electricity.

What a jackass!

MOST of the coal plants in this country HAVE installed pollution controls. But these 32 have refused to comply with existing regulations.

I agree, I wouldn't call dunking fries in a fat of oil as cooking either.

I don't work, I collect unemployment, food stamps and disability payments. I drive around in my lincoln navigator while laughing at fry cooks like you. I earned what I got.
The Army Corps of Engineers doesn't employ fry cooks, barrista boi.

So you're saying you're unemployed. Not surprised to be honest.
You're really not very bright, are you? No wonder you're a leftist.

Oh, c'mon. It's not like leftists like Bfgrn really give a damn about the poor.

that much is obvious. I don't know why anyone believes libs are on the side of the poor. They are always trying to make everything more expensive. Cars are more expensive because of libs. cigarettes are more expensive. Booze is more expensive. Housing is more expensive. Energy is more expensive. Food is more expensive. Medical care is more expensive.

If it wasn't for libs, the poor would be fairly comfortable.

You are already paying for the pollution every year your health care insurance goes up as the result with the skyrocketing cost of health care. The more pollution the higher your health care costs.

Bunk. Pollution has virtually zero affect on my health. The air is quite clean and so is the water we drink.

Saying they had 10 years to clean up their plants is like saying Joe Bloe had 10 years to get ready for that drunk driver to hit him, so why didn't he avoid it?

The people are going to pay the cost of eliminating these plants is not the "coal barons." You're hooting about poor people paying more for electricity.

What a jackass!

MOST of the coal plants in this country HAVE installed pollution controls. But these 32 have refused to comply with existing regulations.

Wrong.

They were in compliance until Obergruppenfuhrer Jackson changed the regulations. And once they are fazed out, the environmental wackos will fight tooth and nail to prevent any replacement plants from being built. I would care that much except I know how your kind operates.

Oh, c'mon. It's not like leftists like Bfgrn really give a damn about the poor.

that much is obvious. I don't know why anyone believes libs are on the side of the poor. They are always trying to make everything more expensive. Cars are more expensive because of libs. cigarettes are more expensive. Booze is more expensive. Housing is more expensive. Energy is more expensive. Food is more expensive. Medical care is more expensive.

If it wasn't for libs, the poor would be fairly comfortable.

But it's "for their own good", don'tcha know.

Ironic, conservatives expect the OWS folks to clean up after themselves, but not the coal barons.

These 32 plants have had a decade to clean up their plants. Instead, they took the money and thumbed their noses at the people. Comply or close...

What a jackass!

Don't dittoheads EVER get tired of mouthing Fox/Rush/Savage/Moonie/Heritage BULLSHYTTE one side of the story propaganda and getting squashed by the facts and being revealed as absolutely IGNORANT tools of greedy corporations and rich?
Stupidest voters in the modern world, Tea Party Fox/Rush morons. Proven over and over and over and over. tyvm. Hoping for your recovery.

Last edited:
Of course regulations prevent certain jobs from being economical. That's the point. When someone sells a product (such as energy) in a way that imposes a substantial cost on society (such as coal pollution) society has a right to force the producer to bear those costs. If it is not economical for them to sell their product when they can't make society pay a substantial amount of their costs then they shouldn't sell their product.

And the notion that our national energy policy should be informed by who participates in Little League is absurd.

AH.. you are right Comrade!
The Central planning committee KNOWS a lot more from their elite limo then anyone that lives in the planned communities!
And this same central planning committee will continue to tell the little league participants that baseball is unsafe and can't be played because statistically it is too expensive to the collective!!!

Despite your comradely salutation, I sense some hostility. I think you may have misunderstood my claim.

The issue isn't whether the coal plant owners know more about pollution than the EPA, it's whether they are correcting for the externalities associated with their production. The coal plant owners could have perfect knowledge of the effects of their pollution, and they would not necessarily forgo their profits for the public good. It's generally unfair to ask a for-profit entity to do that voluntarily if their competitors are not-- government regulation is often the only practical way to correct for externalities.

Of course regulations prevent certain jobs from being economical. That's the point. When someone sells a product (such as energy) in a way that imposes a substantial cost on society (such as coal pollution) society has a right to force the producer to bear those costs. If it is not economical for them to sell their product when they can't make society pay a substantial amount of their costs then they shouldn't sell their product.

And the notion that our national energy policy should be informed by who participates in Little League is absurd.
Yes, our national energy policy should be informed by people who don't know the difference between a kilowatt and a kumquat, and think solar and wind can replace the half of the electricity produced by coal in this nation in just a couple of years.

My point wasn't regarding whether these particular actions were justified. Neither the original news story referenced nor any of the posters in this thread have identified which actions/regulations did what.

In the absence of such specific information, I chose to defend the notion of government regulation as legitimate policy. Are you saying that government shouldn't regulate economic activity at all, or are you attacking only these specific yet unidentified regulations?

AH.. you are right Comrade!
The Central planning committee KNOWS a lot more from their elite limo then anyone that lives in the planned communities!
And this same central planning committee will continue to tell the little league participants that baseball is unsafe and can't be played because statistically it is too expensive to the collective!!!

Despite your comradely salutation, I sense some hostility. I think you may have misunderstood my claim.

The issue isn't whether the coal plant owners know more about pollution than the EPA, it's whether they are correcting for the externalities associated with their production. The coal plant owners could have perfect knowledge of the effects of their pollution, and they would not necessarily forgo their profits for the public good. It's generally unfair to ask a for-profit entity to do that voluntarily if their competitors are not-- government regulation is often the only practical way to correct for externalities.

Good stuff. I wish you'd come on this forum more often.

What a jackass!

Don't dittoheads EVER get tired of mouthing Fox/Rush/Savage/Moonie/Heritage BULLSHYTTE one side of the story propaganda and getting squashed by the facts and being revealed as absolutely IGNORANT tools of greedy corporations and rich?
Stupidest voters in the modern world, Tea Party Fox/Rush morons. Proven over and over and over and over. tyvm. Hoping for your recovery.
Are you capable of any thought that can't be verbalized on a bumper sticker?

What a jackass!

You tag..The USA is the only modern country in the world where full time workers live in poverty and have no health care (750k bankruptcies a year, most HAVE insurance - crap insurance!"

OK granted.
Except the USA is the ONLY country in the world where:
47% of the population pays NO taxes
8 million have FREE cell phones
40 million get free food
Millions in poverty have TVs,Cars, internet..
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

IN FACT the USA poor are the 1% to the rest of the world!!!

Plus, where does the article say this was an Obama regulation?

Am I the only one who read this article? Oh wait. Probably, since the OP refused to link his source.

Glen Lyn Virginia

Long expected but no less dreaded, shutdown of 32 US power plants to cost towns jobs, taxes - The Washington Post

You focused on a Washington Post article that doesn't tell the whole story.

Like the fact that new regulations are making it impossible for them the build new coal-fired plants. It only mentions that it is shutting down because of new regulations, even though the plant is out dated and a new one needs to be built to replace it......but can't be due to the new regulations and because of leftist groups like the Sierra Club.

Here's a story that explains this:

Amid criticism from environmentalists, a power plant developer said Monday it would suspend plans for a new coal-fired unit in northeastern Arkansas for at least five years and stop efforts altogether to build a facility in southern Georgia.

LS Power Group of New York said it had reached an agreement with the Sierra Club to temporarily halt its effort to build a 665-megawatt Plum Point II power plant near Osceola, Ark., north of Memphis, Tenn., and permanently give up plans to build the 1,200-megawatt Longleaf Energy Station near Blakely in far southwestern Georgia.

“We’ve agreed not to resubmit plans for at least five years,” LS Power representative George Sciencki said Monday evening after the Sierra Club’s announcement. “The intent at Plum Point is a five-year hold.” He said poor market conditions made it easy to agree to the delay.

But Glen Hooks, spokesman for the Sierra Club in Little Rock, said the delay is as good as a death sentence for the Arkansas plant.

“It’s effectively the same thing,” Hooks said. “No matter what kind of spin they want to put on it, this plant is not going to be built.”

Company Suspends Plan for Northeast Arkansas Power Plant | GPACE

An Associated Press analysis has found that more than 32 mostly coal-fired power plants in a dozen states will be forced to close because of the new, more stringent regulations. Another 36 plants are at risk of closing.

No lights will go dark. But the Environmental Protection Agency has estimated that 14.7 gigawatts -- enough power for more than 11 million households -- will be retired from the power grid in the 2014-15 period when the rules take effect. One rule curbs air pollution in states downwind from dirty power plants. Another sets first standards for mercury and other toxic pollutants from smokestacks.

Read more: Obama Power Plant Regulations Zapping Small Town USA - Federal Regulations - Fox Nation

Neither you or the OP focuses on the true causes and effects of the power loss that is expected. Both of you are only focusing on why the plants are closing. Why new plants aren't being allowed to be built is also part of the story.

The point of all of this is Obama is trying to slowly boost the cost of energy in this country and he is trying to make us more dependent on other sources. His energy policies are short-sighted if not outright dangerous to our national security.

The real story is being covered up. Global Warming advocacy groups are claiming that coal-fired plants are killing our kids.

As with the Keystone pipeline debacle Obama's environmentally friendly policies are slowly destroying this country's energy infrastructure.

That is the real story here.

Last edited:
The real story is being covered up. Global Warming advocacy groups are claiming that coal-fired plants are killing our kids.

As with the Keystone pipeline debacle Obama's environmentally friendly policies are slowly destroying this country's energy infrastructure.

That is the real story here.

NO, here is the REAL story.

Clouds-of-Smoke-small---Credit-Claudia-Meyer.jpg

America's Biggest Mercury Polluters

The owners of many coal-fired power plants had slipped through loopholes in the Clean Air Act that enabled them to avoid installing effective emission controls – increasing their profits at the expense of public health.

The costs imposed on us by pollution from coal-fired power plants remain immense. Dr. Paul Epstein, a public health champion who unfortunately passed away this week, calculated that coal imposes more than $300 billion in damages on the American public annually. The damages are much higher than the worth of the electricity those plants generate.

To force these power plants to clean up, my colleagues at Environment America and the broader clean air coalition took the fight into the halls of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Congress and the court system. This year, the courts ruled in our favor.

As a result, in December 2011, the EPA will announce new standards limiting the emission of mercury and other toxic pollution from coal- and oil-fired power plants in the United States. This will be the first time that all power plants in the nation will have to deploy modern emission controls and compete on equal footing. EPA estimates that when the standards go into full effect (no later than 2015), the action will annually prevent:

17,000 premature deaths,
12,000 emergency room visits and hospital admissions,
120,000 cases of childhood asthma symptoms, and
850,000 fewer days of work missed due to illness.

Additionally -- as our new report, America’s Biggest Mercury Polluters, shows -- these standards will cut power plant emissions of toxic mercury pollution by more than 90 percent. Over time, this action will reduce the burden that mercury pollution imposes upon the health of our children, protecting them from irreversible brain damage that can occur through mercury exposure.

Three cheers to the EPA for taking this common-sense action. And to all of the advocates who made this victory possible through decades of hard work: thank you.

Maybe you can power your home with Solyndra solar panels.

Oh, wait...

C'mon over and let me fry you up some fish. Oh, wait.....

http://www.ifishillinois.org/pdf/09consumption.pdf
Gosh, I don't see anything in there about the mercury in your fish coming from power plants. Could you C&P that text for me, please?

Kthnxbai.
Goose? Could you find the text in that guide that says the mercury in your fish comes from coal-fired power plants, as you claimed?

No?

Well, then.

Coal-fired power stations 'poison fish with mercury'

Scientists have found the first proof that dangerous levels of mercury in fish come directly from coal-fired power stations and factories.

They say it takes only three years for particles of the toxic metal to float through the atmosphere after being expelled as a by-product of burning coal, fall into the oceans and contaminate marine life.

The speed of contamination has shocked scientists.

There are also concerns that the increasing number of coal power stations in countries such as China could put the world's health at risk.

Mercury emissions in the atmosphere break down into more toxic methyl mercury. Until now, there has been controversy over how it gets into the food chain.

Scientists from the University of Alberta in Canada proved a direct link with emissions by releasing mercury into a lake in Ontario and measuring the effects over several years.

Researcher Vincent St. Louis said: "We can say conclusively that if you reduce mercury emissions it will result in less mercury in fish."

Forum List

Back