Obama imposes a new ban on deepwater oil drilling

I don't see a problem with this.

The current leaking oil rig was being capped when the accident occurred. In other words, BP wasn't going to harvest the oil because they are interested in controlling prices...too much oil on the market brings down the price.

I wonder how many oil wells are out there not being used because the oil companies fix prices?
It was not a leaking oil rig. It was a leaking split riser on the BOP stack at the well head. How many wells out there that aren't in use? Thousands.
Right, I should have said pipe.

But the fact of the matter is that this was not going to be harvested ... so why the need to drill more wells with no plans to harvest the oil?
You drill these wells for future needs.

It was not a leaking oil rig. It was a leaking split riser on the BOP stack at the well head. How many wells out there that aren't in use? Thousands.

But the fact of the matter is that this was not going to be harvested ... so why the need to drill more wells with no plans to harvest the oil?
Drill Baby, drill...so oil companies can keep their prices high and continue to screw us in the future!

Drill Baby, drill...so oil companies can keep their prices high and continue to screw us in the future!

feel free not to use oil. It's your choice after all.

Until the companies have, in place, the means of handling a failure such as this, there should be no further drilling. When they have these resources in place, then the drilling can start again, carefully regulated so that this does not happen again.

In the meantime, we need to look at the subsidies that the petro companies are getting, while they are making multi-billion dollar profits every quarter. Time to put an end to that foolishness.

Let's see, the failure rate of deep water drilling is what?

Way less than 1%.

Maybe the government should ban everything with a failure rate of less than 1% until adaequate safety measures are agreed upon

It failed because there was an obvious breakdown in saftey. The company lied to the American people about their safety measures.

This happend becuase they were allowed by the Bush admin to write the policy for enegry and then Bush and team hired inspectors that fucked and sucked them insteand of overseeing them.

The rigs that are now on line will likely have the same type of shoddy safety measures in place you fucking idiot.

It failed because there was an obvious breakdown in saftey. The company lied to the American people about their safety measures.

This happend becuase they were allowed by the Bush admin to write the policy for enegry and then Bush and team hired inspectors that fucked and sucked them insteand of overseeing them.

The rigs that are now on line will likely have the same type of shoddy safety measures in place you fucking idiot.
But the MMS under Obama inspected and gave the rig a safety award.

OBAMA ADMIN GAVE RIG ‘SAFETY AWARD’ LAST YEAR Randy’s Right

In fact, the agency’s inspection frequency on the Deepwater Horizon fell dramatically over the past five years, according to federal Minerals Management Service records. The rig blew up April 20, killing 11 people before sinking and triggering a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Since January 2005, inspectors issued just one minor infraction for the rig. That strong track record led the agency last year to herald the Deepwater Horizon as an industry model for safety.

They gave them an award for not having any infractions for so many years.

Little did they know that those years were more about fucking and sucking than inspecting.

Last edited:
One cannot help but wonder why that holy ghost of the Lord Mammon -- the invisible hand of the market -- so failed to guide BP when it was deciding NOT to take every reasonable precaution when designing this rig.

Last edited:
One cannot help but wonder why that holy ghost of the Lord Mammon -- the invisible hand of the market -- so failed to guide BP when it was deciding NOT to take every reasonable precaution when designing this rig.

You think every business is without risk?

One cannot help but wonder if you could be more obtuse.

If oil companies are able to arbitrarily "keep their prices high", then why was crude selling for $12/barrel back in 1998?

You think every business is without risk?

Did I say that?

No, of course, I did not say that or anything remotely like that.

I can, yes.

But when dealing with idiots, I find making a point indirectly is more than enough to challenge them.

Know your audience and write to challenge them, but not too much, says I.

Did I say that?

No, of course, I did not say that or anything remotely like that.

I can, yes.

But when dealing with idiots, I find making a point indirectly is more than enough to challenge them.

Know your audience and write to challenge them, but not too much, says I.

Good Luck with that.

But while any business taking precautions to lower risk may be linked to their continued ability to compete in a free market, the fact that risk still exists, has nothing to do with free market forces.

But I've no doubt that your obsurely defined notion of free market forces compensating for all risk will attract flies: Where is TM?

If oil companies are able to arbitrarily "keep their prices high", then why was crude selling for $12/barrel back in 1998?

Part of the master plan.:cuckoo:

Yup. Everyone knows that commodoties traders are in the pocket of the oil companies and are part of the vast conspiracy to manipulate profits. :cuckoo:

Maybe it's time this thread is moved to conspiracy theories... :lol:

By the way. the REAL profiteer (and reason for high prices) of oil and gas is the government...

TaxProf Blog: Gas Taxes Exceed Oil Companies' Profits
F]ederal and state taxes on gasoline production and imports have been climbing steadily since the late 1970s and now total roughly $58.4 billion. Due in part to substantial hikes in the federal gasoline excise tax in 1983, 1990, and 1993, annual tax revenues have continued to grow. Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues—more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period:

Last edited:

Part of the master plan.:cuckoo:

Yup. Everyone knows that commodoties traders are in the pocket of the oil companies and are part of the vast conspiracy to manipulate profits. :cuckoo:

Maybe it's time this thread is moved to conspiracy theories... :lol:

By the way. the REAL profiteer (and reason for high prices) of oil and gas is the government...

TaxProf Blog: Gas Taxes Exceed Oil Companies' Profits
F]ederal and state taxes on gasoline production and imports have been climbing steadily since the late 1970s and now total roughly $58.4 billion. Due in part to substantial hikes in the federal gasoline excise tax in 1983, 1990, and 1993, annual tax revenues have continued to grow. Since 1977, governments collected more than $1.34 trillion, after adjusting for inflation, in gasoline tax revenues—more than twice the amount of domestic profits earned by major U.S. oil companies during the same period:

Its comforting to know the used $6 million/yr to research oil spill control.

Forum List

Back