Obama Follows Bush On The Patriot Act

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
Another campaign promise broken. What a surprise.

-----

Last Friday evening, in a motion to dismiss Jewel v. NSA, EFF's litigation against the National Security Agency for the warrantless wiretapping of countless Americans, the Obama Administration's made two deeply troubling arguments.

First, they argued, exactly as the Bush Administration did on countless occasions, that the state secrets privilege requires the court to dismiss the issue out of hand. They argue that simply allowing the case to continue "would cause exceptionally grave harm to national security." As in the past, this is a blatant ploy to dismiss the litigation without allowing the courts to consider the evidence.

Sad as that is, it's the Department Of Justice's second argument that is the most pernicious. The DOJ claims that the U.S. Government is completely immune from litigation for illegal spying — that the Government can never be sued for surveillance that violates federal privacy statutes.

Again, the gulf between Candidate Obama and President Obama is striking. As a candidate, Obama ran promising a new era of government transparency and accountability, an end to the Bush DOJ's radical theories of executive power, and reform of the PATRIOT Act. But, this week, Obama's own Department Of Justice has argued that, under the PATRIOT Act, the government shall be entirely unaccountable for surveilling Americans in violation of its own laws.

This isn't change we can believe in. This is change for the worse.

It's Actually Possible... The Patriot Act Gets Worse - Auburn Journal
-----

I have trimmed this for posting purposes. Please read the entire article.

Last edited:
It amazes me how not a single Obamatron posts in any of the threads that show how he deceived the American people during the campaign.

No one can defend his "Yes We Can," or "Change We Can Believe In," or the "Lobbyists will have no place in my White House, " or the so-called transparency he says he will live by?

It amazes me how not a single Obamatron posts in any of the threads that show how he deceived the American people during the campaign.

No one can defend his "Yes We Can," or "Change We Can Believe In," or the "Lobbyists will have no place in my White House, " or the so-called transparency he says he will live by?

He voted for the fisa bill in the Senate after he said he would filibuster it. this most recent action should surprise no one.

He voted to reauthorize it as a Senator, and voted for the FISA amendments. He's no friend to liberty.

Even Olbermann criticized Obama on this one.

Presidents just keep getting more and more power.

Even Olbermann criticized Obama on this one.

Presidents just keep getting more and more power.
This shows that Obama is more practical and patriotic than Olbermann. He knows much more now than he did as a candidate. Obama is showing good sense.
Don't forget that the Patriot Act was an act of Congress signed by the President. The only US Senator to vote against the Patriot Act in 2005 was Russ Feingold. The House vote was 238-187 (Make up of the house in the 108th Congress was d-204 R-229 I-1)

This is why Russ Feingold is a hero.

Voting against something popular because it is wrong.

And it's not the "Patriot Act."

It's the Omnibus Spying Bill.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

That's fucked up. Pretty disappointing...

Can't you guys do something about it? I mean, shit, government of the people, demand some change!!

... somehow. = \

I said all along that this would happen, not because Obama is trying to get away with anything or because he is into breaking the law. It's because it is a necessary tool. What I find amusing is that his supporters don't seem to be too upset by this, but when Bush did it, it was the end of the world.

That's fucked up. Pretty disappointing...

Can't you guys do something about it? I mean, shit, government of the people, demand some change!!

... somehow. = \

We have representative democracy, not direct democracy. Obama is who the people chose.

This one pisses me off.

I am really disapointed because it fucking wrong.

I hope to see this change soon.

He voted for the fisa bill in the Senate after he said he would filibuster it. this most recent action should surprise no one.

Pretty much this.

It won't.

Presidents don't ever give up any power.

And this.

Forum List

Back