Obama dramatically increases warrantless wiretaps

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    What happened? When it was George Bush doing it, why... everyone thought it was just hunky dory!

3. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,129
    You never saw me saying that. I'v raised hell with my congressman and senators every time this crap comes up for reauthorization. BTW I did the same when the inital bill was first proposed. I agree with the guy (I think it was Franklin) that said, some one that is willing to give up liberty for security, deserves neither.

4. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

So did I and I remember telling my RWNJ friends that though they trusted Bush with that kind of power, he wouldn't be President forever and they might NOT trust the next guy.

So, here we are, right where I said we'd be.

But, of course, warrantless wiretaps isn't really the issue now. It's just another excuse to yell, "OMG! OBAMA!" and run around in a panic.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    So now Obama is too conservative for Republicans?

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    It is wrong, all the time.

7. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,129
    I don't blame him for this, I blame congress, there's more than enough other things to beat Maobama up other than this. Like violating his oath by refusing to enforce our laws.

8. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    He's too authoritarian for anyone who gives a shit about civil liberties.

9. Londoner

Londoner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    We saw this with the Reagan War on Drugs.

(This is where you have to teach Republicans history)

By the late 70s many of America's cities had growing crime and "ghettos". This was partly due to the increased loss of postwar manufacturing to China along with a failure of the political economy to assimilate African Americans into the economy. As a result there was growing social unrest.

And there was another problem. Reagan was planning on unwinding the welfare state, which would push more people on to the streets. This would add to the social unrest and put added pressure on law enforcement. Reagan needed a tool to protect the property of the elite minority from the burgeoning ranks of impoverished souls with no hope. This is a very standard historical model. Every time you defund the majority in favor of wealthy special interests, you need to beef up law enforcement to protect yourself.

In order to stabilize the country in the face of growing despair, Reagan created the War on Drugs so he could give Washington centralized control over the states, which would allow Reagan's brownshirts to control how the states managed their law enforcement. AGAIN: The drug war allowed Reagan to build a MASSIVE federal bureaucracy over the states. It allowed him to grow the power of government much like Bush would with Homeland Security. Like most bureaucracies, Reagan's federal drug agencies eventually became self-perpetuating, dysfunctional, money-sucking nightmares lorded over by incompetent bureaucrats. The war on drugs was an abysmal failure. Big Government made things worse. The end result was that Washington used the war on drugs to build a massive surveillance mechanism.

And what did Clinton do? He kept Reagan's wasteful, incompetent bureaucracy in place. Much like Obama would with the War on Terror and Homeland Security.

Republicans always make government bigger. And Democrats are always too timid to stop them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,101
    Everything the left hated about Bush+more=Obama. Plus he fucks up like carter.