Obama Cuts God Out of T-day Address

if you endorse god then fine, but don't expect all to follow

If the jackass in chief is going to address us for Thanksgiving, he needs to acknowledge who was being THANKED on the first Thanksgiving. (hint - GOD)

They were'nt thanking the natives!

You jackasses amaze me at the lack of historical perspective you give our "holidays" :doubt:

Obama should have just shut up yesterday.... I would have been "thankful" :cool:

Is it too much to ask the President of the United States to be knowledgeable of the traditions, history, values, and culture of the nation over which he or she presides? And to acknowledge them?

The proclamation establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday (emphasis and paragraphing mine):

The document below sets apart the last Thursday of November "as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise." According to an April 1, 1864, letter from John Nicolay, one of President Lincoln's secretaries, this document was written by Secretary of State William Seward, and the original was in his handwriting. On October 3, 1863, fellow Cabinet member Gideon Welles recorded in his diary how he complimented Seward on his work. A year later the manuscript was sold to benefit Union troops.

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.

Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things.

They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People.

I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

William H. Seward,
Secretary of State
Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln

I do not ask all Americans to be religious or to believe in a higher power or to be Christian or to be anything other than respectful of the rights of others. But I resent it when some would presume to take away the reason that Thanksgiving is celebrated.

Christmas was established as a national holiday to commemorate and recognize the birth of the Christ as Christians. I have no problem with those who don't believe in Christmas putting up a 'holiday tree' instead, but they should not deny the large majority of us who do believe it to put up a CHRISTMAS tree and sing CHRISTMAS carols. Hannukah commemorates the liberation of Israel/Judah and the return of many of the disapora Jews to Jerusalem. It deserves its place as a Jewish Holiday. It is fine for Muslims to celebrate Ramadan. Independence Day commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and that should not be omitted from our history. Memorial Day is a day to remember, honor, and respect those fallen warriors who gave all in the service of their country.

I resent highly the continual nip nip nip at our uniquely American culture in the name of political correctness. And from a purely personal perspective, I want the Presidential Thanksgiving address to acknowledge the reason and purpose of the celebration.

What a lie..... you obviously NEVER went to a church with a real man of God leading his flock.

How do you know if someone is a ‘real man of god'? Because he says so? Because you agree with him?

There is no objective criteria to justify such a statement, it’s personal and subjective, like religion itself.

What a lie..... you obviously NEVER went to a church with a real man of God leading his flock.

How do you know if someone is a ‘real man of god'? Because he says so? Because you agree with him?

There is no objective criteria to justify such a statement, it’s personal and subjective, like religion itself.

Your right... its objective, but I know a false prophet when I see one. My God puts that discernment in my heart. Some fail to see or hear it.
Back in the day.... I laughed at folks who watched Jim Baker and his fake broadcasts, and that goes for Jimmy Swaggart and his ilk. They were a disgrace.
A true man of God is known by his works.... I have left many churches bc I felt it in my heart to leave. No hard feelings, just not where I felt I should be.

Not all preachers are money grubbers.... but God does want us to prosper, and not fail.

Take it or leave it.... its up to you. God gave us all free will.

BTW.... I hate "religion"
It will destroy you!

Last edited:
The war on Thanksgiving has begun!

Put the Christ back in Thanksgiving

Last edited:
As noted in a previous post,,,Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. That being said and a fact, I think some people are really making something out of completely nothing.

Did you read President Lincoln's proclamation establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday? It had been observed since early Colonial times as a celebratory feast to give gratitude to God for their blessings. And it is appropriate and customary for the President to acknowledge that in his annual Thanksgiving address:

To wit:

from President Clinton's Thanksgiving address 2000
Sharing in God's blessings is at the heart of Thanksgiving and at the core of the American spirit. At Plymouth in 1621, the Pilgrims celebrated their first harvest in the New World thanks to the generosity of their Native American neighbors. In return, the Pilgrims invited these tribal members to share in their harvest festival. At Thanksgiving this year and every year, in worship services and family celebrations across our country, Americans carry on that tradition of giving, sharing not only with family and friends, but also with those in need throughout their communities.
President's Thanksgiving 2000 Proclamation

from President Bush's Thanksgiving address 2008
Thanksgiving is a time for families and friends to gather together and express gratitude for all that we have been given, the freedoms we enjoy, and the loved ones who enrich our lives. We recognize that all of these blessings, and life itself, come not from the hand of man but from Almighty God.

Every Thanksgiving, we remember the story of the Pilgrims who came to America in search of religious freedom and a better life. Having arrived in the New World, these early settlers gave thanks to the Author of Life for granting them safe passage to this abundant land and protecting them through a bitter winter. Our Nation's first President, George Washington, stated in the first Thanksgiving proclamation that "It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor." While in the midst of the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln revived the tradition of proclaiming a day of thanksgiving, asking God to heal our wounds and restore our country.
President George W. Bush's Thanksgiving Day Proclamations

"Nope.... just acknowledging that Obama does'nt give a crap about what the holiday is all about.

Thats OK... he will be out on his ass soon enough"

Are you a teen ager

Go ahead and name one of those eight clowns who has a chance to beat president Barack Hussein Obama.

What you right wingers never take into account is that 30%-40% of Obama's supporters can't afford(or use) a computer so you sit on your asses all day bad mouthing him on the Internet and get little opposition. Unless the Republican efforts to require picture identification before eligibility to vote works your asses are grass and he'll mow the lawn. Do you really think very many minorities or poor folks are gonna' vote for the party of the corporations and the wealthy

Republicans study every angle to phuck people out of their votes. When Richard Nixon was first elected to the congress in a California district he stayed up nights for weeks making anonymous phone calls to potential voters telling them his opponent...Jerry Voorhes(sic) was a Communist.

Last edited:
This is what Obama thinks about American traditions

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwog6E08CFU]Obama and the National Anthem - YouTube[/ame]

I would have voted for Bill Richardson had he booted Obama in the ass right there

Are you a teen ager

Go ahead and name one of those eight clowns who has a chance to beat president Barack Hussein Obama.

Yeah.... Im 13 yrs old. :cuckoo:

What a jackass.... Im done debating you on this.

Obama does not know what or who to be thankful to on this AMERICAN holiday and thats that!

This is what Obama thinks about American traditions

Obama and the National Anthem - YouTube

I would have voted for Bill Richardson had he booted Obama in the ass right there

You lie AGAIN!!!

PolitiFact | Photo was taken during anthem, not pledge
The Obama photo was taken Sept. 16, 2007, in Indianola, Iowa, at the Harkin Steak Fry, an annual political event hosted by U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin. The caption on the Time photo says Obama and the others "stand during the national anthem."

Modern custom does not require a hand over the heart, said Anne Garside, director of communication for the Maryland Historical Society, home of the original manuscript of the Star-Spangled Banner . "I think the bottom line is that you show respect with your demeanor," she said. "Whether you put your hand over your heart, hold your hat at shoulder level or waist level, is really in this day and age irrelevant."

She pointed out that "the tune of the Star-Spangled Banner was originally a drinking song. If they can put the words to the tune of a rousing drinking song, to quibble over whether you put your hand over your heart is really ridiculous."

Last edited:
if you endorse god then fine, but don't expect all to follow

If the jackass in chief is going to address us for Thanksgiving, he needs to acknowledge who was being THANKED on the first Thanksgiving. (hint - GOD)

They were'nt thanking the natives!

You jackasses amaze me at the lack of historical perspective you give our "holidays" :doubt:

Obama should have just shut up yesterday.... I would have been "thankful" :cool:

Fuck thanksgiving. It's just another holiday I don't celebrate.

SCREW GAWD!! HE'S NEVER DONE ANYTHING FOR ME
Why do you believe God is a male?
Because God said "let us make man in our image". Then he created woman to keep him company. Pretty simple really, at least to those of us who are smart enough to comprehend.

Okay I have to object to this. Everybody knows the accurate translation is that in the beginning, God created man. And then he said, "I can do better than that, and he created woman."

You have to keep these things in perspective. :)

As noted in a previous post,,,Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. That being said and a fact, I think some people are really making something out of completely nothing.

Did you read President Lincoln's proclamation establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday? It had been observed since early Colonial times as a celebratory feast to give gratitude to God for their blessings. And it is appropriate and customary for the President to acknowledge that in his annual Thanksgiving address:

To wit:

from President Clinton's Thanksgiving address 2000
Sharing in God's blessings is at the heart of Thanksgiving and at the core of the American spirit. At Plymouth in 1621, the Pilgrims celebrated their first harvest in the New World thanks to the generosity of their Native American neighbors. In return, the Pilgrims invited these tribal members to share in their harvest festival. At Thanksgiving this year and every year, in worship services and family celebrations across our country, Americans carry on that tradition of giving, sharing not only with family and friends, but also with those in need throughout their communities.
President's Thanksgiving 2000 Proclamation

from President Bush's Thanksgiving address 2008
Thanksgiving is a time for families and friends to gather together and express gratitude for all that we have been given, the freedoms we enjoy, and the loved ones who enrich our lives. We recognize that all of these blessings, and life itself, come not from the hand of man but from Almighty God.

Every Thanksgiving, we remember the story of the Pilgrims who came to America in search of religious freedom and a better life. Having arrived in the New World, these early settlers gave thanks to the Author of Life for granting them safe passage to this abundant land and protecting them through a bitter winter. Our Nation's first President, George Washington, stated in the first Thanksgiving proclamation that "It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor." While in the midst of the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln revived the tradition of proclaiming a day of thanksgiving, asking God to heal our wounds and restore our country.
President George W. Bush's Thanksgiving Day Proclamations
Oh no, a liberal potus acknowledging God. That will make libtards heads spin. GOOD!

Forum List

Back