Obama calling out Cantor

Since I am guessing that you did not read the entire article....here it is.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fi...s_burtless/0817_stimulus_success_burtless.pdf

I noticed you have dumped the Kiplinger report. Maybe you read if after you posted it and figured out it didn't necessarily give President Obama the credit you think he deserves.

As to the Brookings article, it is all based on a trumped up local framework that is only there to solicit more business from the left.

For fun, why don't you boil it down for us. There certainly seems to be no central set of premises and he provides next to nothing in the way of a model that indicates why it was a good course.

And, as always, these guys assume that a "depression" is bad. The left always whines about the corporate hacks that keep this country in such poverty (and I tend to agree with them on many counts) and yet they seem bent on propping these same groups up in the name of votes (i.e. GM). Here is a clue....such economic upheaval is a natural way of gutting the rich and redistributing wealth. It knocks a lot of people off their power bases and puts what was once protected back into play. It is the markets way of redistributing wealth.

Last edited:
Well, itsn't working in one regard.

President Obama has an approval rating in the low 40's and an disapproval rating in the low 50's. This means that independents are turning on him. Soon, only the base will have his back.

Kinda like when GWB had a 30% approval rating (and I could never find one of those people myself....to ask them why).

I guess you could call it a stimulus of sorts (a stimulus to make him a one-term president).

Last edited:
Hmmm. If the aim of the stimulus was, in fact, to raise the man's approval numbers......you'd have something there. Glad to see you've got that whole honsety thing workin'.

Hmmm. If the aim of the stimulus was, in fact, to raise the man's approval numbers......you'd have something there. Glad to see you've got that whole honsety thing workin'.
:razz:

If I was to step out of the tit-for-tat little game you've got going here..I'd ask why, if it is working, hasn't the American electorate come to his side ?

The reason is because they don't see it working.

You might explore what the expectations are with regards to how people saw the stimulus and how things like the 8% max unemployment (which he never said...it was one of his departing minions that dug that hole for him) suddenly became lightningrods for this whole debate.

Possibly you see it as a success for the same disjointed reasons the fellow who wrote the Brookings Article does. But, he is part of a small crowd.

I guess my point is that you are not making your case. If President Obama ran his election the way you've run your argument (by calling the right morons) my guess is that he is unemployed come 2012. Then again, maybe you could apply to run his campaign.

In the meantime, this country has some serious issues which are NOT his doing and are probably not going to be solved by the Federal Government.

We do have the failed impressions of the Federal Government to thank for this mess (unless you don't think that the GWB administration caused at least part of the problem). So why be declared operationaly insane by asking the same function to do the same thing and expect different results ?

Would a good economic shaking out be so bad ?

If I was to step out of the tit-for-tat little game you've got going here..I'd ask why, if it is working, hasn't the American electorate come to his side ?

You might explore what the expectations are with regards to how people saw the stimulus and how things like the 8% max unemployment (which he never said...it was one of his departing minions that dug that hole for him) suddenly became lightningrods for this whole debate.

Possibly you see it as a success for the same disjointed reasons the fellow who wrote the Brookings Article does. But, he is part of a small crowd.

I guess my point is that you are not making your case. If President Obama ran his election the way you've run your argument (by calling the right morons) my guess is that he is unemployed come 2012. Then again, maybe you could apply to run his campaign.

In the meantime, this country has some serious issues which are NOT his doing and are probably not going to be solved by the Federal Government.

We do have the failed impressions of the Federal Government to thank for this mess (unless you don't think that the GWB administration caused at least part of the problem). So why be declared operationaly insane by asking the same function to do the same thing and expect different results ?

Hell, even the Senate Democrats know. :lol:

I have not called anyone a moron. I'm actually impressed with the level of intellect displayed by some here. You included. But I don't play the game that you want to play.

The economy has grown, we have added jobs, the recession ended......all with a clear lack of cooperation from the party of opposition. The stimulus program was not big enough.......but it was not a failure.

What we can't do is accurately state with any confimation what would have happened had the stimulus not been passed. But I'm with the guys who do this shit for a living and have said the situation would have worsened.

BTW, I'm going to demonstrate over time that I am able to determine who is and who is not a moron here. I can suffer a moron. I will have to if I am going to spend some time here. But.....need I suffer intelligent people who are not honest with their commentary on a friggin' anonymous forum too?

I have not called anyone a moron. I'm actually impressed with the level of intellect displayed by some here. You included. But I don't play the game that you want to play.

The economy has grown, we have added jobs, the recession ended......all with a clear lack of cooperation from the party of opposition. The stimulus program was not big enough.......but it was not a failure.

What we can't do is accurately state with any confimation what would have happened had the stimulus not been passed. But I'm with the guys who do this shit for a living and have said the situation would have worsened.

Technically you are correct. You have not called anyone a moron.

There is no game to play. This is real life with people who are struggling just like people have always struggled. And the Federal Government rarely does anything to improve that situation.

If I read your second paragraph, it sounds as if everything is O.K. Why, then are we looking at a second stimulus package (disguised as a jobs bill) ? And stimulus isn't a something for nothing effort. All that money that was spent to do all these great things has only added to the debt that has been growing at a pretty good clip (since before President Obama took office). A failure ? Why argue success or failure. Both parties, who seem very interested in power instead of truth, will move the goal posts as fast as they need to make their sorry cases.

And as to worsened....you again, didn't listen. I asked if it would be so bad if things did get worse. That is how the market corrects for to many liars at the top....aka Enron style. What if GM had gone under ? What if we had hit 15% unemployment. Maybe people would have awakened to some of our real issues and actually done something to change the course of this country. While I applaud the little Wall Street Protests (that Ed Shultze would have you believe is the Tea Party on the left), they will flicker out pretty quickly. No one is that motivated to get involved when they think the big nanny is there to pay the bills in the end.

A bump looking for someone to tell me why it would have been so bad for GM to go bankrupt and be taken over by a group that actually knew how to run a company and didn't need the Federal Government to keep it afloat.

Forum List

Back