Obama Banning Bullets In ATF Regulation

30 caliber rounds, either the .308 or the 300 Win Mag will lower a targets blood pressure faster than smaller rounds. All will kill, some kill faster than others. EFP's demonstrate that. Ballistic charts prove that. Idiots argue about that.
So? The 5.56 round doesnt kill by lowering blood pressure.

not what I said you dumbass... try reading AND comprehending at the same time ... if that's possible for you.
Yeah that is what you said. I cant help it if you're fucking clueless here.
The development of the 5.56 came in the early 60s after a famous army study on wounding etc. They determined they didnt need a round that would kill at 500 meters sincee most engagements werent close to that.
High velocity is a killer at the cellular level.

I said all will kill ... you're a dumbass.

It looks like the current administration is back to its old tricks of seeking backdoor gun control that will only affect law abiding gun owners. The ATF is apparently in the process of attempting to ban a popular type of 5.56mm round that is popular with AR-15 owners. Based on new proposed regulations, the ATF is essentially seeking a ban on the popular M855 round (aka “green tip”). The NRA-ILA weighed in on the measure:

Now, BATFE has released a “Framework for Determining Whether Certain Projectiles are ‘Primarily Intended for Sporting Purposes’ Within the Meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(c)”, which would eliminate M855’s exemption to the armor piercing ammunition prohibition and make future exemptions nearly impossible.

By way of background, federal law imposed in 1986 prohibits the manufacture, importation, and sale by licensed manufacturers or importers, but not possession, of “a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely . . . from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium.” Because there are handguns capable of firing M855, it “may be used in a handgun.” It does not, however, have a core made of the metals listed in the law; rather, it has a traditional lead core with a steel tip, and therefore should never have been considered “armor piercing.” Nonetheless, BATFE previously declared M855 to be “armor piercing ammunition,” but granted it an exemption as a projectile “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.”.

Obama to ban green tip 5.56 ammo

Anyone who has spent time in the military and has been issued this ammo knows it has no armor piercing capabilities. That won't stop Obama from banning it or any other ammo he feels like banning in the future.
Precedent was set with the banning of the Teflon coated "cop-killer bullets" which had been coated with Teflon to reduce exposure to lead on indoor firing ranges.

Incrementalism it is called.

SS 109 Greentip/ Kevlar ....

who gives a shit about armored tanks, ask a COP if he or she wants to be the catcher of a round bad guys like ..

Pssssst.....any 5.56 ball ammo will make mince meat out of the majority of body armor.
Just dont tell obozo.

Commenting without having the slightest idea about the subject again I see. I'll bet you don't know why that particular shell is being banned when so many others used in an AR are not being bothered,
Shotguns have shells.

A certain type bullet, which is part of a cartridge, is being banned.

Shells.

Geez................................!

SS 109 Greentip/ Kevlar ....

who gives a shit about armored tanks, ask a COP if he or she wants to be the catcher of a round bad guys like ..

Pssssst.....any 5.56 ball ammo will make mince meat out of the majority of body armor.
Just dont tell obozo.

Commenting without having the slightest idea about the subject again I see. I'll bet you don't know why that particular shell is being banned when so many others used in an AR are not being bothered,
Shotguns have shells.

A certain type bullet, which is part of a cartridge, is being banned.

Shells.

Geez................................!

Congratulations. You get an A+ in nitpicking for today.

From ar15.com "Best Rounds for Self-Defense"

".223 While the M855-type ammunition generally meets performance requirements, there have been quite a few reports in inadequate fragmentation. Please remember that this is military ammo, and while the fragmenting properties are well documented and understood, there is no requirement for the bullet to fragment when being tested for acceptance. There can be significant variations in constructions which could make some lots perform much worse than others. For this reason, it is not on the list. While the M193-type ammo is not nearly as complicated of a design, it is also not inherently as devastating as the heavier OTMs listed below. Since this article is about the BEST choices for self-defense ammunition, it is omitted also."
Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Wah wah :) Not even a "best choice for defense" round.
It isnt. The ammo frankly sucks. It makes for good milsurp shooting ammo. Thats about it.

Correct. It's a military round which means it probably meets milspec requirements out to however far while still achieving how ever much armor piercing they demand to emet the specs. It's design though isn't intended for hunting or civilian applications. Plus, honestly, who uses a 22 for defense? :)
What is a civlian application? Most people shoot it at targets out to 300 yards or so. And a .22 going 3k fps sounds pretty nifty to me. Certainly has worked on a ton of bad guys.

SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming shoot-to-wound policy put their lives at risk Daily Mail Online

"SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming 'shoot-to-wound' policy put their lives at risk

* Bullets upgrade recommended in top-secret report on SAS operations
* Authors describe clashes with Taliban who ignore bullet wounds and carry on shooting

The rounds currently issued as standard to SAS troops for their rifles are 5.56 mm calibre. In future, the troopers will be given 7.62 mm rounds – which are almost twice as heavy and designed to kill with a single shot."

Only reason a 5.56mm round and weapons system exists is soldiers in Vietnam were such bad shots the M14s in use were running out of ammo. But the spectacular inefficiency of 5.56mm in antipersonnel applications is well-documented.
Thats total nonsense. Iv'e talked to dozens of guys who saw combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. The 5.56 performed just fine.
No contest as far as knockdown and kill power.

I've shot a lot of hogs with each.

Interesting video here:

It leads to some other good stuff.

Forum List

Back