Obama and small town America

Discussion in 'Congress' started by LordBrownTrout, Apr 11, 2008.

1. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    "You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
    He goes out and says kids need to stop watching so much television, which I agree with, and then drops this bomb.
    I almost feel sorry for Obama and comments like this. This makes very little sense.

Obama and small town America

2. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I grew up in small town Ohio and I think there is something to this, but he is probably over-generalizing the effects of job loss and poor economic conditions on a lot of people in a lot of communities.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    All Politicians talk to the group they are trying to sell themselves too. Does not matter party or color of skin or sex.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like Obama doesn't expect to get many votes in the Midwest and small towns.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    Actually, I think the stucco has been falling off of his facade for a few weeks now. Speaking down or condescension never wins votes and more people are starting to see it imo.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,366
    I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but in my part of the world, the most conservative citizens are usually those living in the small towns. They mostly live in small towns because they prefer living in small towns as opposed to crowded cities. Most 'bitterness' at government that I have observed has been directed at pols and bureaucrats who impose oppressive rules, regulations, and taxes on the citizens who mostly want to just be left alone to live their lives that include religion and guns and other personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution. I think most of small town America would just prefer that the federal government not presume to 'take care of them' but would burden them as little as possible with taxes and just leave them alone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  7. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59

Which is exactly why people such as Obama hate and fear them. It goes against everything Obama represents.

8. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,366
    I don't know whether he hates or fears them. But it is pretty evident that he doesn't know a dang thing about them.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I read the quote. Thing is, historically, when people's jobs are in jeopardy and the economy isn't good, they DO scapegoat others. They do blame illegal immigrants, or blacks or jews or any other outsider they can to explain their predicament. So did he say anything terrible or untrue?

I think people just aren't used to someone who doesn't talk down to them and always tell them what they want to hear, but actually tells them what's what...whether its about race relations or job insecurity.... or scapegoating.

Just my opinion, obviously.

10. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    Well, making statements such statements as ..."they cling to guns and religion", I mean, those are guaranteed freedoms that we have. It sounds as if he's relegating the simple folk of these small towns to some kind of wild native or savage.