Oakland, the Last Refuge of Radical America

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
Oakland, the Last Refuge of Radical America

By JONATHAN MAHLER
Published: August 1, 2012

The Anti-Capitalist Brigade started gathering early on May Day at Oakland’s Snow Park. There was free coffee, oatmeal, doughnuts, fliers with the day’s agenda and plenty of pot. A “street medic” — “I just finished a wilderness first-aid course,” he told me when I asked about his training — tended to his first case of the day, a man in his 20s whose leg had been beaten to a purple hue with a metal rod in an overnight fight in the park. Nearby, an organizer reminded protesters to take down the toll-free number for the National Lawyers Guild: “This is important. Do not put it in your cellphones, because if you get arrested, the cops will take those away. Write it on your bodies. In indelible ink. There are Sharpies on the table.”

No central action was planned. A coalition of labor unions had asked Occupy Oakland, with its proven ability to turn out large numbers of militant activists, to blockade the Golden Gate Bridge, but then withdrew the request at the last minute. Instead, thousands of Occupy protesters met at various “strike stations” and fanned out into the streets with shields and gas masks (or the homemade alternative: bandannas soaked in vinegar), transforming downtown Oakland into a roving carnival of keyed-up militants of every shape and size: graduate students, tenured professors, professional revolutionaries, members of the Black Bloc, dressed like ninjas, their faces obscured.

Joints were passed, but this was not a mellow crowd. A barefoot man known as Running Wolf grabbed an American flag from outside a popular cop bar and dragged it behind him. Packs of protesters charged into businesses, overturning tables, shattering windows and smashing A.T.M.’s. An activist spray-painted vulgarities on the window of a Bank of America branch. The Menace was loose again, as Hunter S. Thompson wrote about a different group of rabble-rousers, the Hell’s Angels. This riot had a soundtrack, too, a cacophony of chants — “Strike! Take Over!” and “Take Back Oakland! Kick Out the Yuppies!” — overlaid with beating snare drums and the rhythmic thump-thumping of the police and news helicopters hovering overhead.

Many businesses were closed, less in solidarity with May Day than out of fear of reprisal from protesters. The rumored targets weren’t just the big corporations, but smaller shops that were the quarry of the so-called antigentrification brigade. In an Occupy Oakland twist on the “Soul Brother” signs that shopkeepers used during the race riots of the 1960s, Awaken, an upscale cafe and art gallery, had plastered its windows with signs reading: “We are Oakland. We are the 99%.”

As the swarm made its way down Broadway, shouting, pounding on windows and throwing bottles at stores, two Asian immigrants hastily boarded up their small, sad-looking beauty-supply store. When I tried to talk to one of them, he shooed me away — “Too busy” — and reached for another board.

---

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/magazine/oakland-occupy-movement.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

occupywallstreetflagpoo.jpg

I"d love to occupy his ass with my boot...

bootass03.gif

Oakland finds a new police chief...
icon_w00t.gif

Oakland Mayor Hires New Police Chief
January 4, 2017 - Ending some seven months without a police chief, Oakland's mayor has chosen Anne Kirkpatrick.
Anne Kirkpatrick, who most recently led reform efforts within the Chicago Police Department, will relocate from Chicago to serve as Oakland’s police chief, becoming the troubled department’s first-ever female chief. The appointment by Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf of Kirkpatrick, the former police chief in Spokane, Wash., ends months of speculation about who would be selected to the East Bay city’s top police post. A spokeswoman for Schaaf and another with the Oakland Police Department did not immediately return requests for comment.

Councilman Dan Kalb said he couldn’t confirm the selection of Kirkpatrick, adding that the mayor’s office planned to brief council members Wednesday morning on the process. “Independent of this person possibly being the mayor’s choice, just in general, I could say I’ve heard good things about her as a law enforcement leader,” Kalb said. Kirkpatrick, a licensed attorney, has spent almost 30 years in law enforcement, including stints around Washington, according to her LinkedIn profile.

oaklandchief.586ce9f995846.jpg

New Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick​

In Chicago, she took charge of a department designated by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to work to reform the force, and she was one of three finalists to replace an ousted Chicago police superintendent in 2015, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Schaaf recently named Venus D. Johnson, who advised outgoing Attorney General Kamala Harris, as Oakland’s director of public safety — a position designed to oversee law enforcement in the absence of a standing police chief,

The mayor announced her national search for a new chief in August following a revolving door of internal scandals that escalated to the point of Schaaf saying civilian control of the department was temporarily needed to eradicate the “macho” culture she said continued to pervade its ranks. In November, Oakland voters overwhelmingly approved a new citizen-led police commission that would have the power to mete out discipline to officers and even fire the chief if five of its seven members voted for dismissal.

MORE

In Oakland you are not even safe on the freeway.

There are freeway snipers that shoot at cars going by.

And the Negroes in Oakland overrun the freeways there during their protests and it turns into rioting.

Steer clear of it.

Go around it.

You cannot go into that jungle and survive.

Forum List

Back