NYC to spend $1.1 B on housing the homeless ( actually illegals) at $174/night hotels

This is NOT about helping homeless citizens. They're helping homeless ILLEGALS - the dem voter base. And this will entice illegals to migrate to NYC from all over the country.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/city-plans-to-spend-1-1b-to-house-homeless-in-hotels/

march 27 2018 The city plans to spend nearly $1.1 billion to house the homeless in commercial hotels over the next three years, officials said Tuesday.

While the de Blasio administration had been relying on a last-minute emergency-based system for booking hotel stays, the controversial practice was only recently formalized into three-year contracts totaling $364 million per year.

The average spent on a hotel room will be $174 per night, the officials said.

All homeless people are illegal aliens? According to whom? At least 12% of all homeless people are veterans of our military. A large portion of the homeless are those, "horrible, mentally ill American citizens" whom the right always claim are the ONLY right-wing, whites committing mass violence. Many more are citizens who have lost all their money to hospitals and doctors as a result of paying their health bills. Still others are citizens who lose all their money to the IRS or rich people who sue them for all their money because they spilled a spoonful of soup on the rich guys tie. Of course there are many who have lost everything in floods, fires and other disasters.

But I get it. If hatred and bigotry are the only "philosophy" driving one's thought process, false statements like, "they're all illegals," makes sense. For those who, however, can use their intelligence to verify actual facts, statements like these are simply ridiculous and ignorant.

the homeless are not all illegals and not "evil"------but there are better ways to
house them

Which better ways? We could get the mentally ill medical help, the jobless jobs, etc. But immediately it would be the moral thing to get homeless people into housing which is what NYC want's to do.

you may not be aware of just what Mayor DiBlasio is doing and you may not
remember the FIASCO created by one ROBERT MOSES about 50 years
ago. Big housing projects that DESTROYED neighborhoods-----it's happening
again. There was once a really FINE public library in Brooklyn-------it is being
turned into a SLUM LORD's paradise complete with "city funding" in community that will now be wracked with MORE CRIME. -----people are getting rich---depending upon whom they know-------small landowners (ie anyone with a house) is being targeted as a helpless victim. you may not remember the era
circa the 1970s and up to the mid eighties-------the city crumbled-----it is, according
to my crystal ball-------going to happen again

Leaving aside the illegals issues will this action lead to more taxes? Yes

Will this action add to urban blight and therefore increase crime rates? Yes

I visited NYC on a day tour once in the mid-80's. We drove through Harlem, block after block of vacant buildings bricked up with concrete blocks in the windows and doors, and at Battery Park, homeless folks aggressively snatching all the garbage from the cans and snoozing in the shade; there was a guy taking a bath in the fountain outside Jackie O's condominium.
It occurred to me the homeless could be living in some of those vacant buildings.

I visited NYC on a day tour once in the mid-80's. We drove through Harlem, block after block of vacant buildings bricked up with concrete blocks in the windows and doors, and at Battery Park, homeless folks aggressively snatching all the garbage from the cans and snoozing in the shade; there was a guy taking a bath in the fountain outside Jackie O's condominium.
It occurred to me the homeless could be living in some of those vacant buildings.
We have vacant buildings all over the planet just wasting away. That seems like an excellent solution, if the landowners would be willing to give up the land.

This is NOT about helping homeless citizens. They're helping homeless ILLEGALS - the dem voter base. And this will entice illegals to migrate to NYC from all over the country.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/city-plans-to-spend-1-1b-to-house-homeless-in-hotels/

march 27 2018 The city plans to spend nearly $1.1 billion to house the homeless in commercial hotels over the next three years, officials said Tuesday.

While the de Blasio administration had been relying on a last-minute emergency-based system for booking hotel stays, the controversial practice was only recently formalized into three-year contracts totaling $364 million per year.

All homeless people are illegal aliens? According to whom? At least 12% of all homeless people are veterans of our military. A large portion of the homeless are those, "horrible, mentally ill American citizens" whom the right always claim are the ONLY right-wing, whites committing mass violence. Many more are citizens who have lost all their money to hospitals and doctors as a result of paying their health bills. Still others are citizens who lose all their money to the IRS or rich people who sue them for all their money because they spilled a spoonful of soup on the rich guys tie. Of course there are many who have lost everything in floods, fires and other disasters.

But I get it. If hatred and bigotry are the only "philosophy" driving one's thought process, false statements like, "they're all illegals," makes sense. For those who, however, can use their intelligence to verify actual facts, statements like these are simply ridiculous and ignorant.

the homeless are not all illegals and not "evil"------but there are better ways to
house them

Which better ways? We could get the mentally ill medical help, the jobless jobs, etc. But immediately it would be the moral thing to get homeless people into housing which is what NYC want's to do.

again. There was once a really FINE public library in Brooklyn-------it is being
turned into a SLUM LORD's paradise complete with "city funding" in community that will now be wracked with MORE CRIME. -----people are getting rich---depending upon whom they know-------small landowners (ie anyone with a house) is being targeted as a helpless victim. you may not remember the era
circa the 1970s and up to the mid eighties-------the city crumbled-----it is, according

Such is change and the advancement of technology. Trump's hotel in DC was once our nations first post office (created by Benjamin Franklin in the Second Continental Congress) but because most use e-mail or private delivery now, it's been sold. We can re-open perhaps what was the finest library in the nation but it won't make people read books instead of reading/posting on the 'Internets." Change is inevitable, but in most cases it has nothing to do with homelessness.

We have vacant buildings all over the planet just wasting away. That seems like an excellent solution, if the landowners would be willing to give up the land.
Couldn't they lease it out so they wouldn't have to lose all their $$ on it?
With the economy improving so much, why are there suddenly so many more tent cities? Something is wrong with this picture.

I too was in NY during the 80's (college). There are many places where the homeless exist due to many factors. I recall back during that time where there was massive homeless rates in East Texas due to the bottom falling out of oil and shrimping career's. I also agree we could utilize vacant buildings for the homeless.....In fact, much of Europe has such laws already in place.

With the economy improving so much, why are there suddenly so many more tent cities? Something is wrong with this picture.
They could do a lot of things but the question is, will they?
Overall homeless has been going down. Or it was.
I am sure there are still some cities that are getting worse, though. That could be what you are referring to.

In some countries in Europe if a building is vacant, you can squat there for free since buildings are part of the city/nations infrastructure and standing there vacant, earning nothing, is a waste while people freeze to death on the streets. Our 'leaders' in America do not care about waste or homelessness in America. It is always about "beating" others by being more successful... screw the 'losers.' We are a sad society in many ways.

house them

NYC has been in trouble since the Welland canal opened in 1829.

In some countries in Europe if a building is vacant, you can squat there for free since buildings are part of the city/nations infrastructure and standing there vacant, earning nothing, is a waste while people freeze to death on the streets. Our 'leaders' in America do not care about waste or homelessness in America. It is always about "beating" others by being more successful... screw the 'losers.' We are a sad society in many ways.
Many states have adverse possession laws, actually.
OldLady i forgot about that.

big problem back then-------lots of those vacant building were privately
OWNED. Lots were not privately owned but were lost to back taxes.
Lots of those building became slum tenements . Projects to expropriate
the buildings for back taxes created even more SLUMS ----crime ridden and
bottom line crime sewers

It just seemed like an idea. I'm glad to hear some countries use it, anyway..

house them

screw you---------may your head collide with foul ball in Yankee stadium

We do too.

We do too.

yes-----squatting in New York City is now THE FUN THING TO DO

house them

Wow! The most populous, powerful and rich state in the Union has been in trouble since before the Civil War? I'm guessing you're from another State which has never, ever had "problems." Or maybe you just buy into the belief that everyone other than you is to blame for all our troubles because they are 'evil.'

To be clear, I've seen "slums" and "problems" in every State. But as a citizen of this country I see it as an American problem and don't simply blame others as a simplistic way of avoiding actual problems in my own backyard. ;)

house them

That's the attitude I'm used to seeing from conservatives! Insults coupled with bad wishes for your fellow citizens. Kim Jun Un would see you as an "fellow traveler." lmao

house them

That's the attitude I'm used to seeing from conservatives! Insults coupled with bad wishes for your fellow citizens. Kim Jun Un would see you as an "fellow traveler." lmao
Rosie is a conservative because she made a joke? Wow OK lol
You need to take a breather bro

We do too.

yes-----squatting in New York City is now THE FUN THING TO DO
Funny, it seems complaining about and wishing for bad things to happen to your fellow American Citizens is the "fun thing" to do for you.

Forum List

Back